Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

Suspension Parts and Services Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:24 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Suspension Parts and Services Pricing

Because of the amount of suspension work I've been doing over the past couple of years I've been able to leverage some better pricing. That means I can pass that savings on to you guys.

Springs
Forks $75
Shock $80

Shock springs include installation!

RaceTech Gold Valves
Forks $150
Shocks $150-175

The Gold Valve prices include installation and setup. During the process I'll do compression valves and also revalve the rebound side. I'll also clean everything, polish the damping rods and check all components for wear. Shock Gold Valve also includes installation. For the VTR the cost is the higher number because of the installation of a Schrader valve in the shock body.

Please note that these prices are for most makes/models, not just the VTR!

...EDIT...

Here are the prices for rebuild services too:

Forks
Rebuild $65
Rebuild Parts $40-50

Shocks
Rebuild $50
Rebuild Parts $10-15

Once again, this applies to all Honda sportbikes and not just VTR's.

Last edited by JamieDaugherty; 04-16-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Squid

956c is on a distinguished road
your VTR

Hi Jamie....
I was wondering if you have photo's of your VTR....Robert
Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Glad to know about this, Jamie. My rear shock needed replacing ..... uh, maybe 20,000 miles ago? I'll start saving up for the service.

For anyone - is buying an F4 shock for a rebuild of this sort worth the $$?

Also, I'm about 175 lbs. geared up, is the stock shock, VTR or F4, the appropriate one?

Last edited by chickenstrip; 03-23-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:29 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 956c
Hi Jamie....
I was wondering if you have photo's of your VTR....Robert

Here are a couple. Nothing much special on the outside, that's exactly the way I like it.

It's what's on the inside that counts!

Last edited by JamieDaugherty; 03-23-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Glad to know about this, Jamie. My rear shock needed replacing ..... uh, maybe 20,000 miles ago? I'll start saving up for the service.

For anyone - is buying an F4 shock for a rebuild of this sort worth the $$?

Also, I'm about 175 lbs. geared up, is the stock shock, VTR or F4, the appropriate one?

Yeah, I'm working on a couple of F4i -> VTR conversions right now. Being backed up I haven't made it to them quite yet. I've got one that is almost finished and I'll post some pictures when it's completed.

The CBR shock is better in every way, the only issue is that the spring would need to be changed to match the weight of the VTR. Getting a spring matched to your weight is probably good idea anyway!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Yeah, I'm working on a couple of F4i -> VTR conversions right now. Being backed up I haven't made it to them quite yet. I've got one that is almost finished and I'll post some pictures when it's completed.

The CBR shock is better in every way, the only issue is that the spring would need to be changed to match the weight of the VTR. Getting a spring matched to your weight is probably good idea anyway!
How about I add a small review...

It was most definitely the first real ride of the year, the streets where dry, colder than I'd liked, but nice weather... Cold tires and gravel, so I wasn't pushing...

And the verdict, you may ask...? Damn! why didn't I do this sooner... Thanks Jamie!

As I said cold, ***** footing around, and with the other upgrades on my bike it's hard to compare it too the other VTR's with Öhlins I have tried for shorter rides...

But I did a back to back with the OEM shock... I rode for 8km with the OEM, rolled straight into the shop (stuck my hands in front of the heater for 5 min) and then swapped the shock out... (swapping swingarms 10 times taking measurements gives good practice...) and out again doing the same loop...

It's like comparing a brick to a shock... The OEM is harsh, hard and insensitive... The F4i is a lot more compliant, but still feels taught and controlled... It doesn't feel to soft, but soft enough to soak up the bumbs...

I still haven't tried the fiddly ***** much yet, and my height adjustable mount wasn't done, so it's at stock height with a simple lengthened mount... But there is a definite and obvious improvement... I'm not that fast, and not a very good racer... But I felt the difference... poking around below the speed limit or just above, the difference is still obvious...

So is it as good as a Öhlins?... Nope... definitely not... Sorry Jamie!

Buuut... Hold on... Wait... how big is the difference then... ?

Oh well... I'd say it compares favorably to the Wilbers... But not quite the Öhlins... And for a shock that cost me less than half of what the Wilbers would be and roughly a fifth/sixth of what the Öhlins costs... That's damned good... Better than damned good... It's bloddy fantastic...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
SuperBike

Thanks for the update Tweety, I'm glad that you are happy with the results. How about those pictures then???
Old 03-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... right now it's not even on the bike... And the bike is in a gassilion parts... I'm almost done solving the riddles of my swingarm swap though... I'll get that done and I'll take pics along the way...
Old 04-16-2009, 04:29 AM
SuperBike

Bump - added rebuild service prices to the original post.