Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

shipping a hawk - company?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Blue Racer
Squid

Blueracer is on a distinguished road
shipping a hawk - company?

OK I live in Missouri. Apparently there isn't a big superhawk following in the midwest. All the bikes I've had an interest in are far away. Any recommendations on a shipping company to my door or the airport would work. Ballpark of what I would pay estimating 5-10 hours? Mike
Old 07-11-2008, 03:14 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
bike shipping

It looks pretty expensive to me. At least $400 Airport to Airport, not sure if that includes crating. If you are buying a bike in good shape just fly in and ride home. Great way to get to know a bike and you are bound to have some sort of adventure. If it's a more questionable deal find an attractive member of the opposite sex and drive to check it out. If it's good ride home unless one of you has a truck. If it's no go with the bike and this person has hung with you through it all I would suggest developing a serious relationship cause you've got something there.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:55 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
You should expect to spend around $450 to get a bike shipped to the nearest large city. I used Forward Air (lowest cost that I could find) to get mine bike from L.A. to San Antonio. They use shipping containers designed specifically for motorcycles. Good Stuff!! This was over 5 years ago, so the higher cost of fuel surely has affected their rates by now. This service is for terminal to terminal shipping only.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:07 AM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
If you want it shipped directly to your door, check with Federal. They advertise in the major mags and use shipping skids designed for bikes. I've shipped 3-4 bikes around the country over the past few years and never had a problem. They also do discounts for AMA and other m/c association members..good luck!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:22 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I chartered a small aircraft from a tiny company to get mine. It helped that my buddy was buying one from the same dealer to split the cost. Ride her home!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
One thing is for sure. A price 5 years ago would not be today's price. I am a freight forwarder and the shipping prices have gone up. YOu will definitely see a nice fuel surcharge added to your bill as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:01 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
depends on distance. I've used federal with good experience but most for a full size bike are around 650 when all said and done. JC motors also does shipping and had a good write up in Motorcyclist magazine a year ago - slightly cheaper I believe. You can save some from federal if they can pick-up and deliver from a business address to avoid small streets/residential. And that buisiness address can be the home depot parking lot - just something easy to get to - otherwise $50 service charge for residential
Old 07-11-2008, 04:57 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
30 or so years ago my folks moved. the big name moving company put someones car in the trailer behind all their ****. got gas smell all in the furniture. not sure if this kind of stuff still happens. I work for the post office and contractors would be gung ho to do stuff like that if they didn't have numbered seals on the trucks.