Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

looking for welding help in Los Angeles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
looking for welding help in Los Angeles.

im having trouble finding someone in my area to weld my 900rr swinger brace. every shop i talk to does trailer hitches or structural welding etc...

i cant find anyone to do a small custom project, especially on aluminum.

im located in Ventura county CA, and im wondering if anyone is in this area and can themselves or knows someone/somewhere that can do the job. im about 30 minutes north of los angeles so if i had to make a drive down that way to get it done i can do that.

i guess as a last resort id be willing to ship out the brace/caliper mounting tabs/bracket with a vtr swinger to have it done by someone on here although id much rather keep it local so i can check the alignment of things and bring it back if need be.

let me know if anyone has any resources i could try. thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You should find some junkyards, or the salvage yard part of town, then ask around.

They always know a local machine shop guy who doesnt advertise or even have a business name. He just does macining and welding for auto repair shops.

It will take a bit of time in very industrial areas but well worth it. You can usually find a powdercoating guy right there too.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
You should find some junkyards, or the salvage yard part of town, then ask around.

They always know a local machine shop guy who doesnt advertise or even have a business name. He just does macining and welding for auto repair shops.

It will take a bit of time in very industrial areas but well worth it. You can usually find a powdercoating guy right there too.
This, Salvage yards also often have a welder on staff and are more than happy to take your money I know cause I used to be a welder at a salvage yard, our yard only had a torch though so I would have been unable to do aluminum but some yards do have mig welders hanging about too.

I always hated Mig welders though, was always partial to Tig myself I used to be able to lay down some pretty beads.. been years since I touched a welder though
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
I'd take it to a machine shop and get it welded...machinists will always take the time to make sure everything is square and accurate too. A quick google search in your area brought up this...they say no job too big or small, and do aluminum tig welding.
(Quality Machine Shop - Ventura, CA) About Us Quality Machine Shop
Old 03-12-2014, 06:35 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scooter72
I'd take it to a machine shop and get it welded...machinists will always take the time to make sure everything is square and accurate too. A quick google search in your area brought up this...they say no job too big or small, and do aluminum tig welding.
(Quality Machine Shop - Ventura, CA) About Us Quality Machine Shop
I put an email into them with some pictures. Thanks! I don't know how I wasn't able to find them on google. I'll have to wait and see what the say.

The scrap yards are a good place to ask around. I'll give them a call. I've got a friend who knows someone and is checking to see if they can do it.

Didn't think it would be so hard to find someone to do a custom small project on aluminum. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.