Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

CDI circuit board question

Old 02-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Jcj
Squid

Jcj is on a distinguished road
CDI circuit board question

Hi I am new to the superhawk forum I have a issue with one of my ignition coils not firing does the CDI have a separate circuit for each ignition coil any and all info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:17 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jcj
Hi I am new to the superhawk forum I have a issue with one of my ignition coils not firing does the CDI have a separate circuit for each ignition coil any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Certainly looks like two signal wires going from the ECM to the converter unit.

Step one is normally to swap the coils over and see if the fault follows the change, or stays the same. It is not unknown to have a break in one of the low tension cables leading to a coil, and an end-to-end resistance check from the converter plug to the coil terminal would assist in diagnosing that.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Jcj
Squid

I tested the ignition coil and it is working fine

Originally Posted by Cadbury64

Certainly looks like two signal wires going from the ECM to the converter unit.

Step one is normally to swap the coils over and see if the fault follows the change, or stays the same. It is not unknown to have a break in one of the low tension cables leading to a coil, and an end-to-end resistance check from the converter plug to the coil terminal would assist in diagnosing that.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Squid

basford is on a distinguished road
I had a problem with the coil firing . Wound up being a bad ground from the rectifier. If you find grounds are good I have both CDI boxes, rectifier, and coils up for sale.
hopefully you can track it to a ground problem before you spend a bunch replacing parts. If you resort to replacing see my thread with those parts forsale
Old 02-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Jcj
Squid

Originally Posted by basford
I had a problem with the coil firing . Wound up being a bad ground from the rectifier. If you find grounds are good I have both CDI boxes, rectifier, and coils up for sale.
hopefully you can track it to a ground problem before you spend a bunch replacing parts. If you resort to replacing see my thread with those parts forsale
I tested the ground wire with a test light and it turned green I also tested the power wire with the same test light and it didn't turn green.