Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

Anybody have an HVLP that I can borrow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Anybody have an HVLP that I can borrow?

I'll be painting the XS750 cafe in a few weeks. I'm going to do an orange basecoat, then a candy in base clear, then a ghost pearl in base clear, then the final clear coats. This is like a 5 step paint process including the primer so I'm looking to use a high quality gun for the job. It's a lot of money in paint. I don't really want to spend the $3-400 or so they're asking for a good gravity feed HVLP so maybe someone here has one I can borrow for a couple weeks? I'd be more than willing to rent it from you or give a deposit if you wish. I'll obviously pay shipping to and from.

Oh, and I'll need a 1.3 tip, and maybe a 1.4-1.5 for the primer.

Thanks,
Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Miss the food at T.W.O.
Squid

truepath is on a distinguished road
I have a set you could borrow, but I will not be home for at least a week and maybe two.
ones a primer with (I think) a 1.5 the other is a base/clear with a 1.2 they are not the best, but I have painted many a bike with them I even have a jamb gun as well
Old 03-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Squid

technorocket is on a distinguished road
Is there Sherwin Williams paint stores there? If so, you can rent HVLP's there. If you do have them there and want to rent one but its too expensive, send me a pm with the store number and i will call them and hook you up with a contractor discount on it. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Truepath, what brand is the gun?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:39 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
G-Man,

I have a Wagner FineCoat which is good but I think the needle/nozzle/air cap is 1.8 (#5 could be eq 1.6 or 7) but I'm looking if smaller is available. This unit is nice and self-contained (no secondary air reqd) but w/o smaller nozzle assy is probably not fine enough for your finish coat needs.

Have you checked Harbor Freight for units (that are not converted HP jobs)? They could have something relatively cheap if you have your own filtered air (8~10 cfm min).
Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yeah, the stuff I'm going to use is fairly low vis so I'll need 1.3 or 1.4. I have an air compressor with filter but it's only 6scfm @ 40psi. Maybe I should go LVLP. I'll do some research.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Miss the food at T.W.O.
Squid

truepath is on a distinguished road
I bought them so long ago I dont remember. I think they where and off brand of devil..... last time I tore them down to clean they matched up,internally, with my buddies devil
Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Yeah, the stuff I'm going to use is fairly low vis so I'll need 1.3 or 1.4. I have an air compressor with filter but it's only 6scfm @ 40psi. Maybe I should go LVLP. I'll do some research.
Most HVLP guns require quite a bit more than 6 cfm, more like 9~11+.

Check out what size needle & nozzle this has and do your research,...

http://www.gleempaint.com/ch-hv1001-hvlp-system.html

http://www.gleempaint.com/waghvsyt.html

http://www.gleempaint.com/campbell-hausfeld-hvlp.html

they are not as expensive as you thought and can do a lot more around the house...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Greg, I have the eastwood hvlp system (Devilbiss) that I have not even used yet, here is the link:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

Its seems similar to my Finishline HVLP (by Devilbiss)
I'm near Buffalo NY.

Rick B
Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator
World Champion

So Rick, what you're saying is that if I do all the prep, buy the beer, and take a roadtrip then I can learn from someone experienced in the art?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Experienced, not really unless your into primer I haven't sprayed any auto finishes in years besides POR-15 and engine enamel... the last thing I painted was my '90 FZR600 back in 2000 and it came out well being black paint.

I picked up the kit on sale with the intention on using it on my '66 Chevy C10 Stepside project and leaving the better Finishline gun for more critical spraying but haven't had much time for that lately either. You can borrow the guns if you want just return them nice and clean. A friend of mine bought the same kit and did his son's Jeep and his '78 T-Bird with it, turned out well.

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
So Rick, what you're saying is that if I do all the prep, buy the beer, and take a roadtrip then I can learn from someone experienced in the art?