General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

carb cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Squid

bigjay77 is on a distinguished road
carb cleaning

Hi guys it been a while since I been here. Short intro I got the hawk to turn over
And run on starter fluid but she won't stay on. There is fuel in the bowls. I decided to
Dip the carbs and my question is. Is the any other plastic or rubber besides the
Floats, diaphrams, and stuff on the outside ofthe carbs. I don't wanna ruin good pieces.
What else am I missing?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Dump the fuel in the tank and lines. Down load the service manual if you do not already have one and follow to disassemble your carbs.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=11365
Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Squid

I will check when I get out of work. It won't dl to my phone. I got it on pc tho.
A little more about the bike. Earlier it ran crappy for about 10 seconds.
Both headers are hot and when I loosen the screw under the float there is fuel.
The rich screw thing underneath both carbs were turned out 4. Idk if its got a
Kit I will check also. All I can think of is very dirty carbs.

This bike has an engine swap (bad ccts first engine), replaced rr and to top it off
I broke the only key in the tank lock trying to get all the old gas out. Since then I
Dismantled the fuel cover and ignition, put fresh gas and seafoam. I already cleaned the
Carbs once but I didn't dip them. Now that's what I'm gonna do.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Assuming it actually is gummed up carbs, I'd try this first. Get some Yamaha Carb Cleaner part # ACC-CARBC-LE-NR. Costs about 10 bucks a quart.

Drain the float bowls and close their valves. Pull both fuel lines off the tank and pour carb cleaner down each one until you know the bowls are full. Leave it in for a few hours and rock the bike good a few times each hour. Worked good for me with a bike which had been sitting for years. Pulled the carbs a few weeks later to change jets and the insides looked brand new.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
+1 I used the yamaha stuff too on a few old bikes that had been sitting for years. So easy I wish I had known about it sooner.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Squid

I was using vavlolene(sp) carb cleaner. And there was a black gunk in both carbs after I was done trying to start it.
I did blow into the fuel line and gas only came out one nozzle ? Both carbs. But
Was hard to force the air in.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
If the carbs are off the bike, an old trick is to disassemble the carbs and put the jets in the float bowl. Add Yamaha carb cleaner. Then put a torch with a low flame under the bowl and bring to a boil. Let cool the do it again with fresh cleaner. Boil until clean. Takes about 10 minutes total.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by motojoe
If the carbs are off the bike, an old trick is to disassemble the carbs and put the jets in the float bowl. Add Yamaha carb cleaner. Then put a torch with a low flame under the bowl and bring to a boil. Let cool the do it again with fresh cleaner. Boil until clean. Takes about 10 minutes total.
Never heard that one. I got dip already. Reread the carb section and gonna clean the tonite.
Side note there was a thread awhile back where the guy stuck his carbs in the dishwasher but I couldn't find it.
Ill write back with what ever results.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motojoe

Hmmmmm.... and if you were to substitute 151 rum?

Had not heard that the Yammaha carb cleaner was so good, but for what it is worth everyone on the yamaha jet boat and waverunner forum swears by Seafoam. I've never soaked my carbs in the stuff (others have) but I use it as fuel additive on my boat and skis.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Squid

ok i got it all back together, she still wont start, turns over strong but nothing after that, reassembled the pair stuff because the vacuem(sp) caps were cracking, now the plugs are good, idk if theres spark but she ran for about 30secs previously on alota started fluid, could i have clogged strainers in the carb even though i dipped them??? im missing something

also i dont smell gas in the exhaust, the plugs werent soaking wet but they were moist??

should i give the enrichener screws another turn out??? right now they are 2 turns out

ill check in tomarrow im tired and going to bed, LMK if yall have any ideas
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bigjay77
even though i dipped them??? im missing something
Depends what "dip" you dipped them in. Did you empty the fuel tank and add fresh fuel? Check to see if tank side of petcock is gunked up/gunk in bottom of fuel tank? Are your hoses all hooked up right esp. the vacuum line from rear manifold to petcock? Can't tell from your post how many of the ideas already posted above have been tried.

Last edited by RK1; 02-10-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
The only thing I soak are the jets, in the Yamaha cleaner. Been doin it since 1987 when another mechanic showed me that trick. Line techs work on commission. It was quick and easy and the bike ran that same hour. I have never soaked bike carbs like you would a carb for a car.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Squid

Ok I'm about to show my ignorance.
When I cleaned the brass tubes they didn't have a hole straight thru , all the side
Holes were cleaned tho. Another thing of the 4 brass pieces the one seperate and
Angled didn't have any holes. I think its the one that the diaphram needle goes into.
Did I just not clean them well enough?

The only hoses that aren't connect are the air cut off valves and they are plugged.
Fuel is pouring out both sides of the petcock so I know its not clogged.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Squid

Progress. She turns over now a few times. I stuck guitar wire thru most of the holes.
I'm gonna chem-dip the carbs over night. There was exhaust smoke coming out so I'm close.
I also went 2.5 turns out on enrichener. I'd would be nice to ride her this track season.
Sorry I sound so squidy its just my first carb cleaning.

Last edited by bigjay77; 02-11-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Squid

Unclutchable is on a distinguished road
I got pretty lucky. my girl has been sitting almost a year. the gas smelled "meh" so I dumped 2 gallons of fresh on top of it. she was pissed off as hell, ran on one cylinder for about 10 sec, but finally coaxed her back to life. sounded pretty good for being dirty as hell.

now she's off to get some "work" done to the top end while i decide what to do about carbs.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Step by step:

1) Go to Yamaha Dealer and get some Yamaha Carb Cleaner.

2) Disconnect fuel line to carb.

3) Drain fuel from float bowls - Retighten screws.

4) Fill fuel line and carbs with Yamaha Carb Cleaner.

5) Let it sit for a few hours.

6) Drain float bowls.

7) Reconnect fuel line and turn on bike. Allow to run for a few minutes.

--------- OR ---------------------

If you already have the carbs off the bike and the jets and float bowl off the carbs, do the following:

1) Put all the jets in one float bowl.

2) Put the float bowl in a bench vice -do not clamp down on it hard.

3) Fill the float bowl with Yamaha Carb Cleaner about half way up.

4) Fire up propane torch and heat up the float bowl until it boils.

5) Allow it to cool.

6) Sit back and ask yourself why you never did this before- cause it's so damn easy!

7) Reinstall jets, carb and fire up the bike.