RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Just wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Back Marker

PappySmears is on a distinguished road
Just wrong.

I know this tattooed, fat arsed, kok smoker who openly tells everyone on a local motorcycle forum, that if they want m/cycle gear to go to the local shop, try it all on then order it cheaper on the net OS.
Then this same oxygen thief, has approached these local bike shops for sponsorship to set up a race team so they can compete in a endurance event being run here. One has agreed.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Thats 1/2 the story.

How is the 'kok smoker' received in the local shops? Shopkeepers are like the rest of us and probably develop low tolerance for those with rectal/cranial inversion. I sense entertainment opportunity when visiting a shop and the afflicted present themselves.

Let us know when the second half of the story happens.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
What's a kok?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Back Marker

pronounced with your lips in a circle shape..
Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Squid

dehning is on a distinguished road
I won't speak to the guys personal problems, but I will say this about dealerships: I am now on my 10th bike that I have picked up and 'restored' in the last few years. I have needed a LOT of parts. I regularly go into the local dealerships with an open mind hoping to pick up some part that I need, but time and time again they are so much higher than web based companies that it's almost laughable. Sometimes 2 to 3 times more expensive. In other industries, brick and mortar stores have adapted to the internet based competition so I feel like motorcycle parts stores should do the same.

I don't believe I should have to pay their premium just because they provide sponsorship to events, them sponsoring events is not for charity, it's intended to drive business towards them.

Just my 2c
Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Back Marker

Yes I agree Dehning, however in this case the guy uses the store as his personal change room on gear then buys from overseas off the net. Just recently he has now approached them for his race team sponsorship. A little different in the circumstances to what you are saying.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
You should mess with the brakes on his bike so they lock up when he's out riding in the wasteland. Then, when his buddy stops and gives him the keys to his mini truck-thing, you stand on a hill and wait for him to drive by before hurling a brake drum into his windshield. After he crashes, you and the Toecutter go laugh at him, say how silly he looks and set him on fire. I'd never do that here, but, you know, Australia's different. That'll teach him to drive down the road singing that stupid song.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:47 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
sheldonsl, that's f-in awesome, lol.
Mad Max - The Goose learns to fly - YouTube
Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unless you've been in the situation ýou have no idea how much it sucks to be on the sales person side of it. I worked for cycle gear for 4 1/2 years and had certain customers that did this same thing, after a while you know who they are and avoid them but there's only so much you can do it's your job to take care of them after all. I personnaly have spent literally hours giving all of mt knowledge and care to a customer only to have them walk out with nothing and then show up a week later with everything I helped them with purchused online. I didn't make much commision but every little bit helped my paycheck and even worse in that type of business if you don't make your goals you lost your job! So who does it hurt? Everyone who works there that's who while I'm spending hors with a person who has no intention of buying anything from me I could've been helping someone who was serious about buying.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
In this day and age, it is not inappropriate to "fire a customer" when they repeatedly shop your store but buy their goods online. You are correct to call them on it (with your owner/manager's permission of course) and let them know that your time is for your customers which they have demonstrated themselves not to be.

There are things you can't get on the internet. These are the things that you are selling, not the item that they actually leave with. Don't give it away if you know they're not going to buy from you.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
MotoGP

Hahaha you're speaking logically that type of thinking doesn't exsit in the corparate world! As a salesperson it's your job to change then from a shopper to a buyer if you can't then we'll find someone who can. Not an opinion a direct quote.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Superstock
Superstock

I was in sales for many years and was effective and successful. Sometimes it's obvious when a "customer" is not a customer and your time is better spent on someone or something else.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

I was the top salesperson in my store and even though ours wasn't the busiest or largest store in the district I was always in the top 5. I also won several national contest within the company but if I was the one that wouldn't help someone no matter who it was in front of my district manager believe me it would've have been my *** out the door!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Superstock
Superstock

I'm sorry you didn't have better bosses. I've been fortunate to have the trust of my superiors (and to have been the manager) in my career. It also didn't hurt that the particular business I was working in was far and away the dominant buisness in it's market segment (winter sports retail).
Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
The real issue is that these businesses need to adapt to an ever changing business world. It's not this guys fault they aren't making sales. Whether he comes in and tries clothes on or not does not change their bottom line. The internet is a major destination for a lot of shoppers, if you're not in on it then you're losing money. If I had a major manufacturer dealership you can bet your @$$ I'd be all over the net selling accessories and parts at a discount price to increase sale and profits. I'm not saying this is the answer for every business, but thinking outside the box is and will net you a lot more success than the "blame game". Get with it!

Last edited by inderocker; 09-15-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by inderocker
The real issue is that these businesses need to adapt to an ever changing business world. It's not this guys fault they aren't making sales. Whether he comes in and tries clothes on or not does not change their bottom line. The internet is a major destination for a lot of shoppers, if you're not in on it then you're losing money. If I had a major manufacturer dealership you can bet your @$$ I'd be all over the net selling accessories and parts at a discount price to increase sale and profits. I'm not saying this is the answer for every business, but thinking outside the box is and will net you a lot more success than the "blame game". Get with it!
More the point I was making was not where the guy buys his access/ parts (and advises others too) , rather than his approch to these shops for sponsorship... Put simply if you dont support them, then why expect them to support you?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:14 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
The dealer I use matches internet pricing on vendor/aftermarket parts and gear.

And I get wholesale pricing on parts. Go figure?