RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

brother paranoid schitzophrenia

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:02 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
brother paranoid schitzophrenia

my little brother whom was born with mental disabilities as well as crippled has developed this latest problem over the past few years. he hears things that don't exist and thinks everyone is out to get him (anyone).

I am the sole close family member left here in Georgia as the rest of the family moved to Michigan recently leaving me basically to check in on him. well it has been ok (so I thought) as he has a nurse come check on him once a week and has meds. however it only works if he takes them and there is no guarentee he won't forget. Well he does forget and yesterday lost his marbles when I went to visit him. He raised hell at me and told me to get the hell out of his apartment (assisted living quarters), this was my clue I called the cops to get him some help (as they have transported him to a mental hospital many times already) But tis time it was a new officer and didn't know my brother and if you don't realize he is on a episode you can view him as rational at times. Well the officer asked him if he needed to goto the hospital of course my brother spouts out that he doesn't need any help and doesn't want any. Well that left me with no option but to just get on my bike and leave him there for the officer to talk to him. And my brother says as I am getting ready to leave " I don't want him around here anymore and he has been harrasing me for months" (now I haven't even been around him hardly lately due to work schedule ) part of his delusion.
This whole thing has left me pissed and hurt (even if he is delusional) that he would treat me this way. So now I have decided to just stay away from him until the family either does something with him or he cracks his egg and get put away as I am totally pissed with his actions towards me. I was so mad I felt like smacking the **** out of him and wacfking his delusion right out of his head for being so rude and disrespectful. However I refrain from such stupidity and will not waste another minuet on a lost cause with no exterior help with him.
Thanks guys just had to rant and get this off my chest.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
A very difficult situation for you. As I am oh so not qualified to give advice, I will say that you will have to reach inside to find the patience and compassion to guide your actions.
One little recommendation I will offer is to leave LEO out of the equation. They are not properly trained or motivated to do what is right for your brother. They carry guns and have been known to use them indiscriminately.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
WOW bro. I really feel for you. I've had to see Alzheimer's in my grandmother so I know a little about what you've seen. She would talk to pictures of family and try to feed them..... Now my wife works as a CNA in the Alzheimer's wing of the local old folks home. I hear some pretty whacked out stories. Even crazier than yours. He needs professional care, period. You should in no way take it to heart. Stay a part of his life, he needs you. Even if he doesn't realize it. Don't ever give up on family. Talk to the primary care physician so you can help get him the proper care. Even if you're in the background unseen, it will help you deal later on in life if something happened, so you never have regrets.

Good luck and stay positive.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

Thanks guys, i was just having a moment of frustration am ok now.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:40 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
He needs professional care, period. You should in no way take it to heart. Stay a part of his life, he needs you. Even if he doesn't realize it. Don't ever give up on family. Talk to the primary care physician so you can help get him the proper care. Even if you're in the background unseen, it will help you deal later on in life if something happened, so you never have regrets.

Good luck and stay positive.
I think the same as wolverine. I have a son with emotional problems and Im not afraid to say that he has brought me to tears more than one time but it is not his fault and I love him. he lives with me and is 21 years old but acts like 10 and that is all the older his mind will ever be. It hurts and will hurt. suck it up and be a man is what I tell myself. not sure if this helped but you know it helped me to talk about it so thanks from me to you.

Stumpy
Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Tough row to hoe.

Been there, done that.

My brother, two years younger than I, sank ever deeper into bi-polar disorder and he fought off every attempt to help him that I and our family could muster. He choose ME as the target of his animus and succeeded in making my life a hell.

The hard part, when a family member descends like that, is maintaining ones personal emotional balance so as to not affect those around us negatively.

Eventually, the person with the mental illness will self-destruct if intense help is not obtained. The tragedy is, that as these days go by, there is less and less help available while the condition worsens. I finally burned the emotional bridges with my brother to preserve my own sanity and life. With no support, his behaviors killed him. Felt guilty as hell, but I had to have that separation in order to execute the other responsibilities in life that I had taken on.

Well, OP, the path you are on is well trod, the numbers are legion of those who have had to deal with such situation. I sincerely wish you a better outcome than what was granted me.

Something that helped me was Robert Pirsig's book, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Not about religion or bike service, more about philosophy. The back story is about his son's fall into mental illness. Library for free or down at the used book store for a dollar.

Last edited by PUSHrod; 07-11-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: errata
Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

Wink

thanks guys, brother calls me up tonight and asks for someone here (another family member ) whom doesn't even live in this state.I told him that no he isn't here and I don't have the number ( its a nephew I barely know as I he lived in another state and never saw him but 2 times). Anyhow the point being I think he's getting worse and got the other members of the family to start to pay attention and get some action (legal if necessary) but I am staying out of it as I simply cannot cope with it and all the other problems I have to deal with already. Oh and pushrod thanks, I also have a sone that has "problems" @ 17yo. and a daughter as well same thing as son she's 23 and in jail ATM. I have raised my kids by myself almost all thier lives , mother wasn't around. recently she passed away due to her " lifestyle". My plate is full. I think if it weren't for the peace "zen" I get in the evenings of riding for a while I would be overwhelmed. But then I just think while I ride that everyone has problems (no matter the form it takes) some might think others problems are insignificant, but they aren't to them. Hats off to everyone who copes day to day and manages to hold onto sanity and comes along for "the ride".
Thanks again
Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Hope it all works out just keep your head in the game when you are on the bike not a time to let it drift away dont want to hear about you putting it down. now Im drifting off in thought so will let you go good luck again.