RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Almost Lost It Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Angry Almost Lost It Tonight

Coming home tonight I was on a road behind 2 other cars doing 10 under the speed limit. An SUV catches up behind me and gets within 5 feet of my back tire. We all get to the light to make a right hand turn so I stop and turn my head to give the woman SUV driver behind me the evil eye for tailgating me. I then realize unless I pass the 2 cars that were doing 10 under its going to be a long slow ride for the next 10 miles. Well, I took off, passed the 2 cars on the right (4 lane road) and get in front of them before the left hand turn a 1/3 mile from the last right. I must have been cooking because I grabbed full front brake and it started chattering so I got on the back brake too until it was locked. So I had the front basically locked and the rear locked and I kinda blew the light and barley made my left turn. I guess the tailgating SUV wasn't as bad as me tonight.

I don't know if there was gravel (it was dark), or the newer Qualifier tires. or the stock brake lines/fluid with new EBC's. I think I just fucked up. Had to rant because I really hate it when I screw up.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey you didn't screw up, you kept it on two wheels and brought her home in one peice.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
Well it at least you made it out alright.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Back Marker

I did get home in one piece but I just kinda sat in the garage for a while staring at the bike. I'm sure the woman in the SUV thinks I am an idiot. Hope she doesn't think we all are.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
She was tailing you and cagers always think they are the better drivers even though they are not always. You did what you had to do.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:42 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Glad you recovered it, those aren't fun. If you locked up both ends, your brake lines are working fine.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:58 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
usually when i get in a situation like that i turn my body half way around move over to the right side of the lane and give them the big old "here you go, you own the whole road so get the hell around me and go"

They either pass me and look at me like i am stupid, but i feel better, or they back off.

As an older rider i am way past the days of raod rage crap, i would rather just put myself in the safest postion i can and if that means letting the idiot pass me then so be it. Last thing i want to do is get run over from behind or take off and haul *** to get away from them and then end up making a dumb *** mistake and possibly killing myself.

Advice i am trying to pass onto my 15 year old that is learning to drive.

Just let it go and forget about all the road rage crap.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
i wasn't as lucky last year, i dumped my **** and i'm still paying for it.....but in a sick way i'm glad it happened as it did. i am now a walking slogan for motorcycle safety! and i will forever have a respect for bikes i didn't have before. so just take it easy, and don't FORGET about it and do it again.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I screwed up yesterday too while paying too much attention to another driver not paying attention.
Driving fire truck back to the station and see a SUV coming up to the light in the lane next to me with high beams on with daylight. First clue. Peer over at the driver as she pulled up to the light next to me, talking on phone with one hand, holding and drinking soda with other. Me=PISSED.
So we turn onto another road and she passes by me again, I look hoping for her to see me staring...then I look up and see the light go yellow. 44,000 pounds doesn't stop easy and I was hanging over the line while she mosied off down a different road. My brakes were cooking and smelling pretty bad. Embarassing.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Thumper
usually when i get in a situation like that i turn my body half way around move over to the right side of the lane and give them the big old "here you go, you own the whole road so get the hell around me and go"

They either pass me and look at me like i am stupid, but i feel better, or they back off.

As an older rider i am way past the days of raod rage crap, i would rather just put myself in the safest postion i can and if that means letting the idiot pass me then so be it. Last thing i want to do is get run over from behind or take off and haul *** to get away from them and then end up making a dumb *** mistake and possibly killing myself.

Advice i am trying to pass onto my 15 year old that is learning to drive.

Just let it go and forget about all the road rage crap.
The funny thing is I sometimes drive a full size van and people will do anything to get in front of me. I will usually pull over and wave them by or slow down or whatever. Never in a rush in the van or my Jeep.

I am an older rider. I've been riding bikes for over 30 years. I do have firm rules about how I ride and what works for me on the road. I really try not to get get cought up in any road rage (which is getting more difficult with all the idiots nowadays) but I do ride aggressivly. Always have. Thats one of the reason I bought a 'Hawk to be somewhat of a hooligan.

I'm starting to think I just need to bring it down a notch. Maybe after my recent trip to the Dragon and small upgrades to my bike my confidence has grown. So has my speed.

Maybe I'll drive my Jeep for a few days. Talk about slow.....
Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Back Marker

J shizzy, Thanks for your post, I does put some perspective on how I ride or should be riding. Hope things get better for you.

HotBrakes, Dang, I cant imagine driving that big ol' truck in an emergency. I attract the same idiots while driving my van.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:09 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, runrowdy... best to call a spade a spade when we screw up. Feel stupid for the next couple days & resolve to be smarter next time.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:14 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Happens to all of us. That's why anger should not be the mindset when riding. Staying calm, enjoy the ride and doing 7-10ths on the street is the way to go. Too many uncontrolled variables will get us killed. There are just so many disrespectful drivers out there. It's not really stupidity but the lack of awareness that they put others in danger. small accidents typical for cars has a devastating consequences for bike rider. Cager don't really understand that.

I am a believer that 8 out of 10 bike accidents can be avoided by the rider either by slowing down, not doing stupid things and be proactive and avoid putting themselves in difficult situation.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:40 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I usually treat tailgaters like Thumper does, wave them by then shake my head. Besides, at the next red light I can split lanes right by them and have the last laugh.