Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Intergrated LED tail light installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM
www.SpitFireRecords.net
Squid

spitfirerecords21 is on a distinguished road
Intergrated LED tail light installation

I hope Im not reposting a thread thats already been discussed. I didnt see any that gave specifit instructions on how to install the LED tail light with intergrated turn signals.

I bought it from Ebay. It came with nothing at all but the tail light. I know from reading other threads that the 2 yellow wires are for the turn signals, but how do i wire the 2 seperate stock signals wires (each having 2 wires) into the 2 yellow ones?

Also theres the Black, Red, and Green wires. The stock is two seperate bulbs, One thats constant running, and one thats the high brake light. How do I wire those 2 bulbs into the LED light's black, red, and green wires?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1998 SH.

Last edited by spitfirerecords21; 05-22-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Use connectors to hook up the blue and Orange to the stock wires, test them first to make sure you have the right wire in the right spot.

The others are connected to the wires with the tail light plug. Mine came with a female end and just plugged in, you may news to cut off one plug and connect the wires. The other plug stays unplugged.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM
www.SpitFireRecords.net
Squid

spitfirerecords21 is on a distinguished road
led tail lights

I dont have a orange wire at all. From the tail light like I said theres a red, black, and green set of wires coming out of one section together with no connectors on them at all or in the box. and a seperate set of two solid yellow wires.

The bike on the other hand has two bulbs (one thats constant running and one that only lights up when u squeeze the brake). Each bulb has 3 wires running into the connector behind the bulb (a red, and black, and a purple).

Im not quite understanding your reply?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by spitfirerecords21
I dont have a orange wire at all. From the tail light like I said theres a red, black, and green set of wires coming out of one section together with no connectors on them at all or in the box. and a seperate set of two solid yellow wires.

The bike on the other hand has two bulbs (one thats constant running and one that only lights up when u squeeze the brake). Each bulb has 3 wires running into the connector behind the bulb (a red, and black, and a purple).

Im not quite understanding your reply?
If your bike is stock, it should have two bulbs that's always on, with a second filament for the brake light... Each bulb has three wires, one green which is ground, and one brown that's 12V and one green with yellow dots... The last one is the brakelight...

If not, then someone have been messing with it already... and by your description it certainly seems like it...

Get a multimeter... Connect it to the wires (bike!), and find out which wire is which... Put the negative measuring lead to the frame, and you get 12V on on wire, 0V on two... Pull the brake lever, and one of the last two will show 12V... The last one still showing 12V is ground, the other the brake light...

Then hook up the new light, I'd try the green as ground first, and red as 12V... But either way, if you haven't got the ground right, it won't light at all, and if you got the others mixed up, you will see one is brighter...

The two yellow ones are the signals... One of each goes to the orange and blue respectively for each signal... The signal also has one green wire for ground, but that's not used, as the whole array grounds from one cable...
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
MotoGP

BTW, this is how you wiring should look like, and did when the bike left the factory...
Attached Thumbnails Intergrated LED tail light installation-vtr1000f_-_superhawk.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tweety
BTW, this is how you wiring should look like, and did when the bike left the factory...
Tweety,

That's one of the most useful attachments I've ever seen for SH electrical, certainly better than the factory manual!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Tweety,

That's one of the most useful attachments I've ever seen for SH electrical, certainly better than the factory manual!
Then, you get a bonus...

www.tweety.se/links.php There you can dowload it in a higher resolution...
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tweety..cool site!