Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Anyone have a intergrated tail light from kapsco?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Squid

JakeT is on a distinguished road
Anyone have a intergrated tail light from kapsco?

Was looking for an led tail light and came across this
1998-2005 Honda Super Hawk VTR1000 LED TailLights Brake Tail Lights with Integrated Turn Signals Indicators Smoke Motorcycle : Amazon.com : Automotive 1998-2005 Honda Super Hawk VTR1000 LED TailLights Brake Tail Lights with Integrated Turn Signals Indicators Smoke Motorcycle : Amazon.com : Automotive

just wondering if anyone has one or has tried one. for the price doesnt look like you can go wrong unless it doesnt work. Did a search for kapsco on the forum didn't see anything refering to a tail light.

Last edited by JakeT; 01-10-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I think Geekonamotorcycle had one of those... i remember the big ceramic resisters or whatever those things were. Didn't seem like something i'd want in my tail, but he got it working properly
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Squid

thank 7moore7, yea wasn't sure if it was worth it but for the price might be worth a try. I like the sleeker look of the integrated.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 PM
MotoGP

Integrated for sure looks clean. I've got an integrated led array in mine, although if you're going integrated AND smoked you aren't leaving much for the cars behind you to see... I kept the red housing and it's brighter than smoked or clear (more even light distribution).

smokinjoe would not approve
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
MotoGP

I would trust the electronics quality and safety of clear housing in this one more:
Honda VTR1000 LED Brake Tail Light Clear Lens 98 05 | eBay
Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Squid

Will look into it yea there are some clear ones and i thought about that as a safety issue so if I do pull the trigger on one you can be sure I'd go with a clear lens not the smoked
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
I just did the led bar conversion to the stock housing and I love it, very bright and good light distribution, much much better then the stock light bulbs, no integrated signals, but I don't care about that, in fact I prefer it separately for better visibility, I even got on one of my other bikes a second set of front blinkers with the running lights and installed them instead of the original blinkers, but that's just me
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NHSH
I prefer it separately for better visibility,
That's the key, generally LED arrays are brighter and are slightly quicker to light up than filament bulbs in tail lights (among other benefits), but integrated is harder to see (proximity to the center of the bike as well as being right next to another light) than separate turn signals.

On the other hand I've seen poor aftermarket turn signals that are way less visible than integrated ones.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
On the other hand I've seen poor aftermarket turn signals that are way less visible than integrated ones.
That's why I don't like after market turn signals, most of them are crappy, to say the list... most OEM's of any manufacturer are better by far due to the vibration resistance built in with tested stems and better wiring quality. You may as well pick and choose signals from other bikes if you don't like yours then getting after market, again just IMHO
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Not to thread jack, but has anyone tried or is using the Integrated unit from AKO Racing? (I posted a couple of days ago).
AKO Racing L.E.D. Integrated Taillights - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

(Pictured unit is just an example not the one that fits Hawk)
Thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Squid

Seen the pictures interesting shape, wondering how it fits on the hawk would it hang down a bit over your plate?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Superstock

I am assuming the one that fits our Hawks is the same shape as stock, not like the one pictured, but I can give them a call tomorrow.
I am interested in the Brightest integrated taillight possible, and realize I may have to come up with something myself if I cannot find something that will be adequate for my tastes.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Superstock

One other note, I would prefer to keep my Rizoma LED turn signals in addition to an integrated taillight. I may end up doing the LED board retrofit that is posted on this forum elsewhere, forgoing the integrated turn signals. I just like the idea of clear tail lens with red leds, (such as 7Moore7 mentioned above), to match my clear turn signals. Haven't decided yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Squid

Jbird2200 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JakeT
Was looking for an led tail light and came across this 1998-2005 Honda Super Hawk VTR1000 LED TailLights Brake Tail Lights with Integrated Turn Signals Indicators Smoke Motorcycle : Amazon.com : Automotive

just wondering if anyone has one or has tried one. for the price doesnt look like you can go wrong unless it doesnt work. Did a search for kapsco on the forum didn't see anything refering to a tail light.

In response to your original question... I have this exact taillight currently. Have had it for about 2 years now. It has yet to fail, so I guess I can assume that reflects decent quality.

However, it is not that bright and is "smoked". The resistors or capacitors (not sure which) that come with it are cheap ceramic units that are supposed to keep the flash rate in check are terrible and I ended up wiring up the unit without them, as a result, my turn signals blink in the typical rapid fashion. My fronts were LED flushmounts as well and caused this already, and I have yet to take the time to correct it as I don't see much of a need to do so.

In short, it's a cheap unit, that is built reasonably well, but not the brightest unit. If you are looking for a unit to have equivalent or better visibility to the OEM unit, look elsewhere, and be prepared to spend more money.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 AM
MotoGP

you could also go this route, although it won't be integrated, it would be bright for sure...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...etrofit-15217/, maybe even find an old clear housing to use. It's brighter than stock, and draws much less amps.

You could even probably figure out how to get some orange LED boards in there and wire them into the turn signals.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Superstock

you could also go this route, although it won't be integrated, it would be bright for sure...

How-to: LED tail retrofit, maybe even find an old clear housing to use.
Yep, that's the thread I was refering to also, thanks for re-posting that 7moore7
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Squid

Biff is on a distinguished road
I ended up with one that I got through amazon using a christmas gift card. It works fine and you have to a little solder work for the turns.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Squid

aaugsbu is on a distinguished road
I have one as well. It did take me awhile to get it working properly but I am very happy with the way it looks. It compliments my high mount exhaust well.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Squid

Thanks guys for all the great feed back. I like that its cheap an in short it works haha. Well Ill definitely start looking for one but with a clear lens. I like the sleeker look of the integrated but definitely safety is also an issue.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Squid

MaineHawk is on a distinguished road
Alright, so i just ordered this same part ( Kapsco smoke led integrated tail light) And i was taking a first look at everything, it looks like the new tailight doesn't have the same wiring harnesses as the stock light. Hopefully someone who has installed this light before can give me a few pointers on what wires to splice and where. I took my multimeter out and did a few voltage tests to identify what the stock wires are ( +, -, or Brake) I think i've got that all sorted
stock wire config = brown +(pos), Green -(neg), Green/Yellow stripe= Brake. Basically all i need for info is which wires do what on this new Kapsco integrated light ? If anyone has done this before and could put in some knowledge that would be a huge help
Old 10-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
I have this tailight installed on my bike, bike came with it. I don't like the turn signals, I think its asking too much from cagers to pay attention to so I run some short stalks as well. P/O didn't install the resisters so it blinked fast as well til I installed the new signals. All wires were cut and soldered. I will get you some pics of the connections on sunday or monday to post if you'd like so you know what colors go where.

Been screwing with my Bandit 400 today just to find out that it was sold to me with bad valves and I just don't want to mess with the bikes anymore today taking the hawk on a 4 hour run through the mountains tomorrow
Old 10-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Squid

Pictures would be awesome that would make this whole process a breeze, thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Squid

Got everything sorted out. Its really easy oncr you figure out which wire does what on the new light