General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
RIP rider
Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
Finally got around to installing the braced swingarm I bought 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Taskmasta, let us know how it works out.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Got my front oem turn sigs mounted, now I have the running light feature, love it. Thanks to Upland111, pchrist, and SuperHawkPro for helping me out with some sigs.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Hey Glock, also sorry to hear about your bud. Sounds like your bike is coming along nicely and glad to help out.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GlockPointer
Went for a ride to test out my newly refurbished bike. The bike runs and rides great after car sync and tps adjustment. Like a new bike.
Unfortunately we lost a rider this time out. We had just split up into three groups to head our seperate ways. Ashton was leading a group to Blanco when he left the road for no discernable reason. He wasn't wearing gear and broke his neck on impact, he then landed in a barbed wire fence and sliced open his neck. There was no blood since he was already dead. He was a Harley rider but had no problems riding with us "Jap bikers". I was in another group and got the news later. He always rode next to me in the group because he trusted me. R.I.P. Ashton Edwards age 30
Let's hope next post will be more cheery
Very sorry to hear about your friend.. Hits close to home, being it happened just down the road from us... and I was in town that day..
Old 05-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Squid

Mikael is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your friend, always sad when a fellow biker goes down.

Finally got around to installing the coil on cap mod and setting up the carbs to 8541Hawk's thread.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Installed a new RK Xring chain. Stockton chain tool from Cycle Gear reveted the master link in 5 minutes. Installed reflective wheel tape. On the inside of the windshield, at the edge of the fairing, installed amber LED strips. These look awesome and will be turns. Next to them I'll install white LED strips for runing lights.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:18 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hey I just got that same tool, good to know it should work.

You are getting the led strips from ebay right? I was paying $20 at pepboys til I found the same thing for $3 shipped.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Just through doing the 8541 carb set-up. All I know for now is it started and idled well but it was too late to warm it up proper.
The plugs looked much leaner tonite than when I baselined the carbs two weeks ago. The bike ran well but showed the signs of slip-on exhaust with stock carb tuning. The carb boots were a few turns loose, maybe that leaned it. I'll report back when I know more.
The only time I have ridden this bike slowly for any period of time was in my buddys funeral procession, this is when I noticed the telltale symptoms. The last time we rode he was wanting to switch bikes, I told him "next time", guess I'm safe on that one.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Did the carb sync. The running of the vac lines off to the side really made it a snap, more or less. I was hoping the adjustment screw would be more of a pain in the *** to get to but... When I was done the idle was up to 1500, brought it down, good to go. Still no test ride but it seems smoother on the stand.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Installed Kreiger MCCT, did PAIR removal. Sounded pretty cool with the PAIRs on though. New plugs. With new airfilter have a little lean surge. Rear Carb boot clamp was slightly loose as was front plug. Just got back from an amazing test ride here in east TN!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Squid

jmathern is on a distinguished road
Yay!!

Got my headlight done today. :-) Time to head in to the garage and start putting in new needle bearings I got in the mail today....

~Jon
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-headlight-dark.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Got to test out the bike some today. I noticed it starts right up with full choke but then did not want to idle while cold and a little better warm. Seemed like it might be rich so I tweaked in the idle mixture a bit and it seemed to help. All through the rev range it acted great, smoother cruising at 3k-4k, pulled from 1500 nicely, no carb farts. I think we're on to something, I may have to add a shim but I'm not certain yet. Get yourself the 8541 carb tune!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Squid

Mrredline05 is on a distinguished road
Took it out of the garage and waxed it, then put it back in the garage cause it started raining. *hate washington! lol
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
Goat roads all day on Sunday and about 250 miles in total probably caused this. Got off the moto last night after the commute, I look at the bike and notice the rear seat cowl looks weird, it's touching all the way around. I go wiggle it and it's not locked in. The locking latch came unscrewed from the rear subframe. Thank god all the little pieces, and spring, latch, and body were located at the top of the battery reservoir and didn't spill out the side. Lucky. So you all go loc-tite that one little screw.

I also ordered new OEM gearing 16-41 which will be a nice change since I've been running the 15-43 for 8years now. My slave cylinder is leaking too. Got to get a new gasket on order. Still works fine.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Pulled the carbs again tonite. It would start right with full choke, run at 2k for less than a minute then lose revs until I had to throttle it, push in choke an it would die anyway. After it was warm it ran great, but maybe a little lean at 3k-4k. Well I could barely get to the fuel screw and could not tell if I was turning it or not so out come the carbs.
I cut away some of the material around the fuel screw so I could see it turn maybe. I ground down the tab thats in the way on the front carb and cut the locating nubby from the boot so I could spin the clamp out of the way if needed.
Next I raised the needles .010 and closed. Set the fuel screw at 2 1/8 front, 2 1/4 rear.
All I know yet is that it started right up but it was too late in the hood to warm it all the way. Tommorow warm it up, check carb sync, roadtest.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Originally Posted by jmathern
Got my headlight done today. :-) Time to head in to the garage and start putting in new needle bearings I got in the mail today....

~Jon

Looks snappy! More pics please.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Squid

Had my carbs off and thought that I would go ahead and set the TPS to 500 ohms. I'm 99% positive that I did this correctly, as only a slight adjustment was needed because of an uncommon result of being low @ 364ohms when I started....

Originally Posted by GlockPointer
Looks snappy! More pics please.
Unfortunately my bike is still in pieces as I wait for parts. I will start a new thread that includes my build process when I am complete. I will add a couple more here as well.

~Jon
2001 Hawk
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-headlight-flash.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-powder-parts.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Had my carbs off and thought that I would go ahead and set the TPS to 500 ohms. I'm 99% positive that I did this correctly, as only a slight adjustment was needed because of an uncommon result of being low @ 364ohms when I started....

Unfortunately my bike is still in pieces as I wait for parts. I will start a new thread that includes my build process when I am complete. I will add a couple more here as well.

~Jon
2001 Hawk
Which 2 pins did you measure between?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Which 2 pins did you measure between?
Well..... The manual is very specific as to measure between Pins A and B, however... all of the threads I read, (which were many) indicated to measure between the "Top Two Pins." I believe the manual is inaccurate due to the enormous reading of over 4700 ohms. IF the picture in the manual is indeed correct, then it would be the "Bottom Pins."

I have attached pictures. I feel dumb posting these as if I am Thread-jacking here.

~Jon
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-tps-manual.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-top-pins.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-bottom-pins.jpg  

Last edited by jmathern; 05-21-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Squid

Codeblue is on a distinguished road
A few packages arrived today.
Kreiger CCTs
F4i Calipers
double bubble screen.

hopefully tmr i can install a couple of them.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You didnt get the f4i master? Steel lines? You will like the more powerful brakes. If you get a chance, try vesrah rjl pads. They nearly double the stopping force.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Squid

Codeblue is on a distinguished road
No steel lines or master cylinder yet. On a tight budget at the moment. Saving up to come over to USA in 2 weeks, staying 5 weeks if anyone wants to meet up, i'll be bringing goodies from Australia
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Codeblue
No steel lines or master cylinder yet. On a tight budget at the moment. Saving up to come over to USA in 2 weeks, staying 5 weeks if anyone wants to meet up, i'll be bringing goodies from Australia

Well the USA is kinda a big place so if you say which part you are going to visit you might get more response.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Well..... The manual is very specific as to measure between Pins A and B, however... all of the threads I read, (which were many) indicated to measure between the "Top Two Pins." I believe the manual is inaccurate due to the enormous reading of over 4700 ohms. IF the picture in the manual is indeed correct, then it would be the "Bottom Pins."

I have attached pictures. I feel dumb posting these as if I am Thread-jacking here.

~Jon
No worries you did it right, just wanted to check as they are not "normally" set low. Maybe someone had already adjusted it sometime in the past.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Codeblue
Yeah, dude, our mainland is the same area as Australia... with cities from Melbourne to Perth
Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Got to warm up the bike tonite. I turned in the fuel screws a bit and it idled better while warming. Up to temp alot quicker too. Carb sync was still dead-on. Maybe a shakedown run tommorow.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Squid

Cale is on a distinguished road
Did some demo on mine Gotta replace the sprockets/chain and needs a new back tire. Ordered it all online after doing some research here on the forum. Went with the 16/43 sprocket setup
Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Little over 100 miles on the road and well over 100 rounds down range.

Name:  P260513_1302.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  146.1 KB

Tight group @ about 40' with an old Winchester pump .22, open sights.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?