Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

You know you're a Harley rider if you can't let your bike simply IDLE at a stoplight

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
You know you're a Harley rider if you can't let your bike simply IDLE at a stoplight

I stole these from elsewhere the internets.. Heard some of them but still pretty good...

Did you know 95% of all Harleys are still on the road?
The other 5% actually made it home.

Is it true that Harleys are chick magnets?
Yes, but only if the chick has a steel plate in her head.

What's the cheapest way to get another 50 hp from your Harley?
Trade it in on a Honda.

Why don't Harley riders sit on their bikes when the side stands are down?
They're afraid to lean over that far.

What's the difference between a Harley and a Harley owner's home?
The Harley costs more and has fewer wheels.

How do you know you're riding a Harley?
While coming off an exit-ramp you get passed by a Vespa.

Why don't Harley riders wave at sport bike riders?
Because they don't want to drop their tools.

How do you know the aftermarket parts you bought for your Harley are working?
You finally break into the 15's in the quarter mile.

What do you call a group of Harley Owners with a collective IQ of 120?
Sturgis!

How do Harley engineers tell if a bike is worthy of the Harley name?
They check to make sure the exhaust noise in decibels exceeds the horsepower rating.

How does an engineer show he is deserving of a job at Harley?
He must demonstrate he is capable of designing a device which can successfully turn
gasoline into noise and vibration.

What's the difference between a Harley Davidson and a vacuum cleaner?
The location of the dirt bags.

Why do Harleys have fringes?
So you can tell if they're moving.

How is a Harley Davidson like an old dog?
They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks.

How do you know your Harley is handling great?
You can almost keep up with the logging trucks when you're riding in the canyons.

What is the difference between a Harley Davidson and an old dog?
The dog can get in the back of the pickup by itself.

What's the difference between a Harley taken to Daytona on a trailer and one that's
being ridden there?
The one on the trailer is going about 30mph faster.

Why couldn't the Harley mechanic repair the doorknob?
Some things just can't be fixed with only a hammer and a rope.

Where can you find the largest collection of Harley jokes in the world?
On the showroom of the Harley mega-store in Milwaukee

Why do Harley owners love chrome?
Makes the parts easier to find when they fall off.

You know you're a Harley rider if?
1. You're unable to let your bike simply IDLE at a stop light.
2. You confuse the word "character" with the more accurate term "engineering flaws".
3."Water cooled" means standing on the side of the road, in the rain, waiting for a
wrecker
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Ditch Magnet
Squid

mput is on a distinguished road
Thats great thanks for the laugh. Can't wait to rip on my old riding buddy turned poser-puss. But his is fast it has a Screaming eagle kit.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Back Marker

lukenukem47 is on a distinguished road
Love it... I cant wait to run to tell my dad some of these. About two weeks ago he traded his Honda shadow sabra 1100 for a brand new hd trike. My girl says it rides like **** compared to my Superhawk. I must say trikes look good sitting still. I did my best to keep an open mind while driving it. I love the electronic cruse control, as for the 27k price tag, it made me sick. He is in early 80's and I am glad it's a trike.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:22 AM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
i am offended!!!! LOL
i ride Harley too...
awesome jokes though
Old 06-09-2011, 04:54 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I blip my throttle at stop lights. Am I riding a Harley?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mput
Thats great thanks for the laugh. Can't wait to rip on my old riding buddy turned poser-puss. But his is fast it has a Screaming eagle kit.
Wow, could be he broke that magical 50 bhp barrier.......

Awesome jokes btw (the fact that many of them are true is irrelevant, of course...)
Old 06-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
yeah i got behind a fat grizzled old biker at a stop light the other day. Dude was on a tiny old iron head sportster constantly working the throttle to keep it from going dead i guess? Funny sight.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
All I could think of when I first saw the thread title was:

"or a squid on a 600!"
Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 AM
MotoGP

Don`t know about other areas but around here, Hoggers outnumber squids about 30 to 1. I have no use for weak-minded (and willed) conformists and most (not all, of course) Hoggers (around here anyway) fit that bill to a tee.....The pervasive "born-again" Harley is God attitude makes me want to vomit...... Few things in this world would make me happier than to see The Motor Company go bankrupt. I must say I am taking a certain amount of fiendish pleasure at their recent financial hardship.....
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
race vs. Harley (not my story)

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to pass the guy quite easily. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of Decker Canyon in Malibu with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of these huge monsters with those big 120 ci motors on this very narrow road, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone on my lightweight Italian bike.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy with all these tight turns and multiple cars. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. Three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing...passing this wide American hulk would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me right next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out power me when I wasn't expecting it. As it squirt out from each corner, his loud torque-monster was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

This road was so narrow, my only hope was to out brake him. I held off squeezing my brake lever until the last instant....keeping my nerve until he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his unmuffled engine behind me as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and I knew he would soon be coming up on me if I slowed down even just a little.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer be holding me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear view mirrors.

Once the road straightened out, it seemed like it took miles before he came back into view, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. As light as my bike was, I was thinking I would be no match for that kind of bulk torque and jackrabbit starts, but it was I that had reached the signal first.

In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. It was not easy, but I had handily won the race to the bottom of the canyon and had preserved the proud tradition of another of Europe’s best bikes. Yep, I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in all my life. And some of the credit must go to my Italian Tommasini, as well. They really make a great bicycle
Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 AM
SuperBike

LOL...I knew that punch line was coming, except I was thinking Italian Vespa.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by ninjagoalie
I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to pass the guy quite easily. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of Decker Canyon in Malibu with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of these huge monsters with those big 120 ci motors on this very narrow road, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone on my lightweight Italian bike.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy with all these tight turns and multiple cars. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. Three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing...passing this wide American hulk would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me right next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out power me when I wasn't expecting it. As it squirt out from each corner, his loud torque-monster was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

This road was so narrow, my only hope was to out brake him. I held off squeezing my brake lever until the last instant....keeping my nerve until he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his unmuffled engine behind me as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and I knew he would soon be coming up on me if I slowed down even just a little.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer be holding me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear view mirrors.

Once the road straightened out, it seemed like it took miles before he came back into view, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. As light as my bike was, I was thinking I would be no match for that kind of bulk torque and jackrabbit starts, but it was I that had reached the signal first.

In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. It was not easy, but I had handily won the race to the bottom of the canyon and had preserved the proud tradition of another of Europe’s best bikes. Yep, I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in all my life. And some of the credit must go to my Italian Tommasini, as well. They really make a great bicycle
Sounds about right.....
Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road

That's hilarious! . I rode Decker only once, many years ago, and all I remember is it being very tight. So I can see this actually happening.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Superstock

man. have any of you ever ridden a Harley?
dispite alot of the jokes being true, people that ride harleys are some of the nicest people out there. like i said before i ride them both, they are both good for there own reasons. i am more of a speed freak so you can figure what i have gravitated to. but all said and done a V-twin is a V-twin.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
Harley XR 1200

Originally Posted by 3amta3
i am offended!!!! LOL
i ride Harley too...
awesome jokes though
Great jokes-I enjoyed them too! Just be carefull if you run in to one of the slightly modified Harley XR 1200's around now. Though heavy, they make good HP and torque plus handle and brake surprisingly well. They are so much fun too ride. I have one in the garage next to my Superhawk! XR1200's are not your typical Harley nor are the owners typical Harley riders. Mort
Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Superstock

+1 Mortbike
i loved my Street Glide i could corner better than most sport bikes. its all about skill and knowing your bike.
the XR1200 is a bad a$$ bike!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 AM
SuperBike

Mort, can I borrow the XR1200? I really want to ride one. I can appreciate harleys for what they are, but being more of a speed freak too, I never really had use for their cruisers. Especially at their prices. however, I was thrilled to see HD put out the XR to get back to their racing roots. I hope they stay in production long enough for me to get one.

(note to self....plan Coral Springs road trip)

Last edited by Old Yeller; 06-09-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 AM
MotoGP

Agreed the XR1200 is a very nice bike (the ONLY Hog I would ever consider owning.... and that is saying a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!). It also doesn`t attract your stereotypical Harley poser-type rider....

As for Harley guys being good folks, I have no doubt they are if you ride in on a Harley. Around here, however, you automatically assume the title of personata non grata if you show on anything else, especially, Heaven forbid.... a SPORTBIKE!!!!!!!!

I used to wave at them but quit doing so when I quickly realized about 75% (conservative estimate) couldn`t be bothered waving to a non-cruiser guy (compared to about 75% of non-cruiser owners waving back). Also, at the local coffee shop (and virtually everywhere else I have seen them gathered), their ability to remain totally indifferent/poker-faced whenever anything non-Harley rides up is the stuff of legends (as opposed to their literally flocking to any Milwaukee-built chrome noisemaker).

Don`t believe me? Tag along with me for a day and you too will be convinced Harley ownership is, for most of the modern day Baby Boomer poser owners, akin to a new religion.....

Last edited by mikstr; 06-09-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

You know you're a Harley rider if you can't let your bike simply IDLE at a stoplight-img_8364.jpg
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Superstock

i agree you will find more sunday drivers on a Harley that you will on a sport bike. the stereo type is there and i have had it placed on me a few times. however it is no different than the stereo type that is placed on sport bike riders. (reckless dumb punk kids and show offs) just to name a few. I live on both sides of this fence and I will wave at anyone that passes. The way I see it dumbasses will be dumbasses but we are way out numbered on the streets and we need to stick together. Don’t let a few ******** ruin the unity that we all have with one another. And it goes both ways, don’t forget. I have been on my cruiser and not gotten waves back from sporties. Those people just need to get the hell off the road, because those are the people that give each side a bad name and have that dip **** I am better than everyone else attitude.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
SuperBike

if that's Killboy, then it came from Deal's Gap, home of "the Dragon". Man, is that sad! LOL
Old 06-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
if that's Killboy, then it came from Deal's Gap, home of "the Dragon". Man, is that sad! LOL
I got to ride the Tail of the Dragon several years ago with the Super Magna Owners Group annual meet, and it doesn't surprise me that a bicycle would pass a Harley (or any heavy cruiser) on some of those really tight turns. Many of our group got pics by Killboy, very cool setup. I would LOVE to go back there on the Hawk, but I might kill myself trying to go too fast
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I thought the joke parts were funny

Never ridden the 1200XR, but been on the 883 and it's a pretty fun bike. Tears the snot out of my 600 shadow. I've got nothing against fellow riders, even ones that don't wave (hell, I've stared directly at people and it didn't register that they were waving till it was too late).

I got a funny visual of a motorcycle that didn't run unless it was constantly being revved... what if all of those bikes really couldn't idle...?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Mort, can I borrow the XR1200? I really want to ride one. I can appreciate harleys for what they are, but being more of a speed freak too, I never really had use for their cruisers. Especially at their prices. however, I was thrilled to see HD put out the XR to get back to their racing roots. I hope they stay in production long enough for me to get one.

(note to self....plan Coral Springs road trip)
Sure Old Yeller, let me know when you want to come over for a test ride-Mort
Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I thought the joke parts were funny

Never ridden the 1200XR, but been on the 883 and it's a pretty fun bike. Tears the snot out of my 600 shadow. I've got nothing against fellow riders, even ones that don't wave (hell, I've stared directly at people and it didn't register that they were waving till it was too late).

I got a funny visual of a motorcycle that didn't run unless it was constantly being revved... what if all of those bikes really couldn't idle...?
If your bike won`t run without constantly revving it, it`s because your idle speed is set too low, your engine is not yet warmed up (with the previously mentioned problem as well) or the engine is equipped with a carb that has no idle circuit/hardware (some racing carbs were set up this way)..... The chronic need to rev in this particular case is much more the said owner`s desperate cries for attention (mid-life crisis is a terrible thing....)

Last edited by mikstr; 06-09-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
SuperBike

I got to ride the Tail of the Dragon several years ago with the Super Magna Owners Group annual meet, and it doesn't surprise me that a bicycle would pass a Harley (or any heavy cruiser) on some of those really tight turns. Many of our group got pics by Killboy, very cool setup. I would LOVE to go back there on the Hawk, but I might kill myself trying to go too fast
When I rode the dragon the first time I was on a kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic. I scraped the floorboards 51 times (I counted...LOL). That's the reason i switched to Sport/Tour and Sport bikes. :-D
Old 06-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Don`t know about other areas but around here, Hoggers outnumber squids about 30 to 1. I have no use for weak-minded (and willed) conformists and most (not all, of course) Hoggers (around here anyway) fit that bill to a tee.....The pervasive "born-again" Harley is God attitude makes me want to vomit...... Few things in this world would make me happier than to see The Motor Company go bankrupt. I must say I am taking a certain amount of fiendish pleasure at their recent financial hardship.....
As do a lot of the helmetless squids on 600s and such blipping the throttles as if they won't idle for a few decades as virtually all Japanese bikes can. They all are wannabe Star Boyz (or fill in whatever squid group is now pumping out the videos) or something. They do as much to conform as about any cruiser rider does. They're conforming just as much as the Harley guys. You can tell them the minute they start talking about "crotch rockets" and "bullet bikes", saying they wanted the fastest and asking if they could do what the speedo showed. Used to make me want to tell them to go buy a moped and learn something, back when I was selling bikes up until about five years ago.

None of what you speak of is isolated only to the Harley group. You'll find pockets in all the niches including tourers. It's just that the HD and 600 supersport areas have the largest numbers.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

Helmets being mandatory here, no one rides without one (though I see it often when I head Stateside; can`t believe anyone in their right mind rides without one but alas, it apparently has something to do with the freedom to die with your brain splattered all over the road....). As for squids, our provincial government, in their infinite wisdom, have literally priced sportbikes off the road (annual registration fee for said sportbike is $1400!!!!!). So, with helmets o'plenty and squids not able to afford to keep their sportbikes on the road, the only "poser-based" entertainment left on two wheels is the Hardley crowd. They more than make up for it, however........

Eggshell micro-helmets, wearing every article they can fit from the H-D accessory catalogue (that is, those who are not wearing shorts and a tank top), open pipes (with said tendency to rev engines at lights; yet lug it to the point of hammering the bearings once it turns green, lol), perverse fear of utilising the front brake, and ride with the ever-present tough guy scowl on their faces (smiling is apparently forbidden in Hardley-land, messes with the wannabe tough guy image).... Ah yes, welcome to Poserville.......

FWIW, I took a riding course a couple of years ago put on by a local BMW/Hardley dealer and one of the instructors admitted to me that the riding skills of most Hog owners is downright scary (this from a guy who makes his living selling them!). This merely confirmed my theory, as did speaking with Star engineers and questioning them on the reason for such a huge rear disc on most of their models, to which they replied that a large percentage of their buyers do not use the front brake, hence teh need to beef up the rear one....

I realize many do not agree with my opinions but I am merely reporting what I have seen and continue to see. That being said, I have seen a fair number os squids during my travels (notably in California) and can indeed see how they are on a comparable footing to the Hoggers..... IMHO, ridding our streets of the majority of riders in both groups would just make the world a better place (and keep riding areas open for the rest of us, true motorcyclists who ride with our brains)

Last edited by mikstr; 06-09-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 3amta3
man. have any of you ever ridden a Harley?
dispite alot of the jokes being true, people that ride harleys are some of the nicest people out there. like i said before i ride them both, they are both good for there own reasons. i am more of a speed freak so you can figure what i have gravitated to. but all said and done a V-twin is a V-twin.

Yes, I have. I actually took my liscence test on my Mom's fat boy. Its a nice bike, dripping with chrome and leather, but im so scared that something is gonna drag that im scared to lean it anymore than absolutely necessary.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:07 PM
SuperBike

Hey Mikstr.....I've ridden without a helmet, and happen to be wearing a half helmet on my concours today. i think I'm part squid and part harley. :-D

Quick Reply: You know you're a Harley rider if you can't let your bike simply IDLE at a stoplight