Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

WHIIIIIRR... Chunka...Chunka

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Squid

shawking
WHIIIIIRR... Chunka...Chunka

Guess what this sound is?

If you said about $700-$1000 flying out of my wallet, you're absolutely correct!

I also would have accepted ACCTL going out causing valve train to go bonkers in the process bending at least two valves, ruining a cam chain and possibly a piston.

This may be the shortest membership to this board to date seeing as I just joined today... sorry all, I like the bike a lot ('99 SHAWK), but this is the second CCT to go bad (first one didn't cause any damage somehow) and it only has 11k miles. I've had it 2 1/2 years and ridden it 9k of those 11k.

As soon as it's fixed I'm selling it and getting a Triumph (probably Sprint ST). I know about the APEs, but I just don't want to deal with this anymore... stuff like this shouldn't happen to a bike this young, especially a Honda.

So stay tuned, I'll have some goodies to sell pretty soon.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
should have replaced both at the same time. Oh well, **** happens dude. A year after i bought mine, I found out about the CCT's and decided to replace mine before anything happens.
Failed CCTs: hundreds of $s
a pair of APE manual CCTs: 70$
Peace of mind: Priceless.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:18 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Do you have the website handy for these? I want to replace mine before they let go - I only have 3595 miles on the bike but...

Thanks
Rick B
02 SH

Originally Posted by AZZKIKER";p=&quot
should have replaced both at the same time. Oh well, **** happens dude. A year after i bought mine, I found out about the CCT's and decided to replace mine before anything happens.
Failed CCTs: hundreds of $s
a pair of APE manual CCTs: 70$
Peace of mind: Priceless.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:36 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok here is the deal. I contacted APE in Cali and they told me that they had a couple of them on ebay for a discounted price. So I checked on ebay and I use to "buy it now" for 35$ plus shipping. It took about a week to get them because they were behind a couple days on the production. Here is the ebay link:APE's on ebay..
I would recommend you give them a call first and ask if what they have on ebay will work with your bike. Looks like they went up on the price a little. At least you will buy peace of mind for about 100$. totally worth it.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:07 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Re: WHIIIIIRR... Chunka...Chunka

Thanks for the info...

Rick B
02 SH
Old 03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Squid

shawking
Originally Posted by AZZKIKER";p=&quot
Oh well, **** happens dude.
So true... but you shouldn't have to be a regular member of any forum to find out your engine could grenade at any moment due to a badly engineered part.

APE makes REALLY good money (maybe $4 to produce those parts?) off of a mistake Honda should've corrected and recalled long ago. I mean, how long has this bike been around? 8 years?

And this same part is on the CBRs as well... you find the same complaints on their forums.

The simple fact is you shouldn't have to buy an aftermarket part to make sure your engine doesn't blow up.

My peace of mind is gonna come when I finally sell it.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the works for a valve ins. or adjustment and was planning on replacing the cct's after reading all the horror stories.If I understand correctly they up-dated the original cct's agreed?? but if I went with the manual cct's how often do you adjust them?? Maybe a stupid ? but I've always been better at breaking parts than fixing them thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
I asked it in the other CCT failure thread, but does anyone know what they actually "fixed" and how in the updated CCT?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Squid

shawking

Okay, I owe all Honda CCTs of the world an apology. It turns out it wasn't the tensioner that caused the blow-up... this time.

I'm still stuck with 2 bent intake valves though. My mechanic found that the oil passage-ways in and around the valve sleeves were gunked up. He reasoned that oil wasn't cooling the intake side valves, and so they got too hot and seized up momentarily which caused the intake cam to stop (open unfortunately) and bent the two valves. The mometary stoppage caused the intake cam to stop completely and so the cam chain skipped over the sprocket for a a split second, causing the distinct whirring sound I heard.

The good news is that it's only costing me 2 valves, valve seals, one cam chain + labor. The bottom end is okay (thank god).

No idea yet what caused the jammage.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Squid

The spring man
see my ad for springs, easy to fit, on mod section, and my explanations all over the forum

Dave