Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Whats a good steering dampner

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Back Marker

bigpat123
Whats a good steering dampner

Hey guys I am trying to figure out the best bang for the buck. So who has what and what do you like about it? or hate about it? I plan on buying sometime on the neer future and if anyone has done the install themselves please let me know how hard or easy it was.....

thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 03:15 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Whats a good steering dampner

Did you drop the front and/or raise the rear? Otherwise you dont' need one.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
In agreement. If you need a damper under normal riding conditions, then you should first set up the suspension correctly and adjust it accordingly.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Back Marker

bigpat123
I have raised the rear some. I installed a works rear shock 5 clicker and added the race tech fork springs so my set up is good. I have adjusted properly for sag and for dive in the front. But i have changed the front sproket to -1 tooth and she lifts very easily. Now this would not truely be a problem except i have done this and the front gets shakey while in the air..... me not keeping it straight.
and just so you know i am 6'4" and wiegh just under 300lbs so for her to lift with ease scared the living sh..... out of me the first time. I am not one to go up on one wheel often.

So i am basically trying to find a dampner to hold straight the front of the bike on such occasions that she lifts.
the rear is 2mm higher if i remember the correct measurement also.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:47 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thus the name bigpat. let me know if you ever want to meet up for a ride or I'll let you know if I ride down to the freinds house in Deerfield.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:48 PM
MotoGP

Oh and if money is no object OHLINS makes good stuff.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 AM
Back Marker

bigpat123
Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Thus the name bigpat. let me know if you ever want to meet up for a ride or I'll let you know if I ride down to the freinds house in Deerfield.
Def would love to. My schedule slows down after dec 18 so anytime around there would be great. Im busy right now with work and i decided it was time to go back to college to finish what i started so time is minimum right now. But hell yeah i want to ride soon.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

I know what you mean I went back myself the worst part is doing algebra after not seeing it for 17 years aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggg I hate math!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Back Marker

bigpat123
Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
I know what you mean I went back myself the worst part is doing algebra after not seeing it for 17 years aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggg I hate math!!!!!!!
I know your pain. These kids are rattling stuff off that i never heard of. It sucks to since i need algebra next semester and thats all i need to graduate.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Squid

gotbeef

I don't know how you Floridians ride in that muggy weather... Full leathers during 100% humidity?!!! Not for me... Props to you.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:36 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by gotbeef";p=&quot
I don't know how you Floridians ride in that muggy weather... Full leathers during 100% humidity?!!! Not for me... Props to you.
You must think I'm insane or something. No leathers year round you would spontaneously combust. If it wasn't for my mesh and leather suit I don't think I could ride year round, but really you don't ride all that much in the summer here. It's the rainy season for us so you ride when you can mostly in the mornings or at night. Where I am you can set your clock with the afternoon thunderstorms in summer right about 3 pm. Right now is the time of year I moved here for it's gorgeous.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Back Marker

2Phaast is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a Toby (from England)..... does a super great job.... easy install, good price.... fairly popular brand over the pond.. available over most internet sights..... got lots of pics of the install, if you send me ur email, I will send you the pics.... My bike has stock suspension setup, and a 190 rear - so it feels kinda heavy... but super stable... but on the red SH I just parted out, the front end was dropped 7mm with a 180 rear, and no dampner, and it was really loose..... quicker, easier to flick, but any ripple in the road, and it was wiggly.... For me, I have no fears with the higher effort steering, but with the other, I could see if I wasn't paying attention all the time, it would be real easy to lose it....
Old 11-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Superstock

cdyer77
one word - Scotts
Old 12-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 to what cdyer77 said. Installed mine during the re-build after my tankslapper. Noticed an immediate cessation of headshake while under hard accel coming onto curved on ramps. Had a pucker factor moment this fall that pre-damper would have landed me on my head. It went "wobble... wobb...." and quit. Best $400 I ever spent on bike parts.