Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What shock to use with Sp2 arm conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 07:15 AM
Squid

rktdoc is on a distinguished road
What shock to use with Sp2 arm conversion

Doing a lot of changes to my tired old chikn.
Started with SSS conversion, but have decided the Sp2 weight savings fits my long term goal better. I have read quite a bit about it, but can't find what rear oem shock would be the better choice. And also what is the trick for installing without welding as Tweety done his?
Can a different linkage set up do the trick, or is there other options?

Can a CBR 600/1000RR swing arm be used, without welding as they appear similar construction to the Sp2.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If you are trying to avoid welding, just forget the CBR swing arms altogether... The geometry and linkage on those bikes are nowhere close to that of the VTR/SP bikes, so I doubt you will be able to mount them even with extensive welding, and most definetly not without welding at all...

The shock I used on my road bike (SP2 swing, welded as described) was a reworked OEM shock from a CBR600F4i, done by Jamie Daugherty on this forum...

On my race bike I used a fully adjustable Öhlins shock meant for the VTR, and mated it to a SP1 swing arm, with no welding at all to the parts... The 'trick' is to use a chunk of aluminum to bolt into the ears on the swing arm, and then bolt plates to it in turn to form the other two points of the triangle link, bolting to the frame linkage and the shock mount... There are sketches around here in old threads to be found if you search a little... I just roughly machined the block, and then pressed a replacement bearing in place... My part isn't likely to win awards for look and finish, or make the weight watchers happy, but it's danged well going to take the load without breaking...
Old 03-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Squid

rktdoc is on a distinguished road
Thanks, really appreciate the knowledge. The cbr arms look good but wasnt sure.
I found the linkage diagram as soon as I searched from my laptop, oddly enough. Possible all the popup ads mess with mobile browsers using the search function.
Im going with steel plates for the linkage, and a fleabay f4 shock. If it all goes well then Ill add better stuff.
Hopefully I can get the 2011 up 1000RR wheels to work, as they are the best looking big four wheels to be fitted OEM in several years.
I get everything rounded up and sorted out I will do a picture thread for others who wish to try this.