Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Valve Springs

Old 07-20-2018, 04:06 AM
Back Marker

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
Valve Springs

I have a shop manual but it does not list the valve spring rate, installed or bind height. Does anyone that information, or a good ource for it?

Thank you
Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 AM
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa View Post
I have a shop manual but it does not list the valve spring rate, installed or bind height. Does anyone that information, or a good ource for it?

Thank you
Neither Spec are required when assembling a head using OEM parts and procedures,so not surprised at all they are not in the service manual.
Never had need to measure it myself, so best i can suggest for installed height is measure a stock head with known OEM parts and in running condition.

Same for spring rate...though I am surprised the spring rate at a given length is not provided along with the free length to determine serviceability.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Back Marker

I beg to differ, as they are wear items, but I'm really looking for a reference point from OEM. If mine are not in spec, my assumption based on my head would be wrong. Thank you though

AV
Old 07-20-2018, 09:46 AM
MotoGP

I beg to differ, as they are wear items, but I'm really looking for a reference point from OEM. If mine are not in spec, my assumption based on my head would be wrong. Thank you though

AV
You mis understood what i was trying to state... I did leave out the word NEW...
When assembling with NEW OEM parts there is no need to use those two specs, thus not included in the manual. The OEM does not account for you using used parts.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Back Marker

Even when new, installed height should be verified against oem allowable specs. Especially when used, and always when modified--no exceptions.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 AM
MotoGP

Even when new, installed height should be verified against oem allowable specs. Especially when used, and always when modified--no exceptions.
LOL. yes when there are specs to use, Honda says you dont need them and thus dont publish them, just like Rod center to center length. The Spec does not exist.

I build bikes for a living, I never said I would not want to check spring installed height... I said on this application you cant as no spec from Honda exists.
Talk with a shop that builds heads every day, like APE or Fast Heads, or others and they likely have a spec they believe to be accurate and use when they build this model head. Or do what they did once upon a time, measure a known good OEM head.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 AM
Back Marker

In case anyone is wondering, here's what I have so far. Based on one rear cylinder head-- one pair of springs measure the same but different from the other pair by .014". This may just be the long term effect of being placed on the exhaust side or intake, at a minimum it suggests there would be a difference between new and used, or E vs I. I imagine the difference will remain when installed, who has money on the valve seat depth being different?

AV