Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Turn signal switch delay?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Back Marker

Big Shepp is on a distinguished road
Turn signal switch delay?

So I've been noticing how my blinkers take a few seconds after I flip the switch to actually start blinking, and the right blinker doesn't seem to work at all if I push the switch too hard or not hard enough.

To me, this is a HUGE safety issue and is at the top of my "To-Do" list.

Has anyone ever had this type of problem? My bike has just over 40,000 miles. Could this be some sort of short? I may just replace the entire switch unit if it's a cheap enough solution. In addition, I'm also installing a integrated tail light and new front LED blinkers. Should I do all this before I mess with the switch?

I could shoot a video showing the type of delay I get with the blinkers, but I have no idea how I would get it on here.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Disassemble and clean the switch... There is a gob of vaseline in there to keep moisture out, and after enough time and dust, that turns to a thick, sticky paste that isn't helping...

Also open up all the blinkers, and connectors and check for corrosion/resistance... That's also a possible delay...

You shouldn't need to replace anything, just TLC...
Old 09-14-2011, 05:42 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
had the same problem and did the cleaning option. it didn't work for me. I ended up picking up a used one on ebay cheap and it was much better.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Mine does the same thing also. I know I need to take it apart and clean it just being lazy.
Its more noticable on cold morning rides
Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Squid

vetlad1954 is on a distinguished road
Turn Signal Delay

My '99 does that and when I was checking it with the engine off the flasher relay would make several rapid clicks and then the blinkers will start working.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Could be low on blinker fluid as well. If you're low it'll take a few seconds to build enough pressure in the system to function properly. LOL
Old 09-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
I think you may have the California turnsignals? These allow you to change lanes before making the other drive in the lane next to you aware of your intentions, so you can slide in to the 20ft gap that has just appeared in traffic. Once you you are safely in the adjacent lane your turnsignal will flash!

Also you can try headlight fluid if your local pepboys is out of blinker fluid!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:47 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Mine does that for a week every spring after I get it back out. I just rock the thing back and forth for a while to clean it up, and once it gets warm it will work fine, and once it's above 50 the problem goes away. Yeah, just dirty. I don't know if OK is as bad as WI, but that's normal for me...

And yeah make sure the blinker fluid is topped off...

Last edited by Kendrick; 09-14-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
I figured it was the blinker fluid because somehow all of mine were bone dry. I filled them all up with ID10T fluid and they stopped working for me all together. I drained the fluid replaced the bulbs and used a dryer fluid that has this weird stuff called A.I.R, I got it from the most unusual place. I then figured out It is a relay problem mine did the same thing and replaced the relay and works fine, Shitty design.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Squid

bbad667 is on a distinguished road
New to this forum, actually any forum but must say this has been a wealth of info already.
I picked up a very neglected, totally stock '98 in August with 8600 on the odo. ($1800) Some elbow grease, fresh fluids, and new rubber perked her right up and she has been a great partner in crime for 3k miles.
The only issues I have had were the charging (or lack thereof) and now the turn signals. Solved the charging issue with the help of the info on here and Electrosports excellent troubleshooting schematic. The only thing that would have made it a shorter process is knowing that there really is not + charge until approximately 3500rpm. Had I known this and tested there or above with new R/R installed it would have saved some time not having to complete the flow chart.
The blinker gremlin sounds similar to what others here are dealing with. It seems intermittent but mostly when cold and have noticed it more with the change in weather. Warm it can work normally but cold it can be up to 5 second delay on left and even 10 on right. I have been through the switch and all connections and nothing obvious, all clean and solid connections. It makes me assume (yikes) it is the relay per 3amta3. Any ideas, refutes or confirmations would be greatly appreciated. Also any info on sourcing a new (preferably) one at non-Honda prices would be very welcome.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Back Marker

I pulled my blinker assembly apart, cleaned each part, and regreased the entire assembly. It's not perfect, and there is still a 11 or 2 sec delay, but it's consistent and much quicker than before.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
the relay is not real expensive. go to hondapartsline.com cheap OEM parts. you could even use a standard turn signal relay from the advance auto just hook the wires up right and will work like a champ for about half the price.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:01 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
yeah, I agree. I'm still experiencing it, and I believe it has to do with the relay switch and/or the bulb not pulling enough energy to get the blinking started quickly.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:11 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
Worst case we've all got arms for Hand signals eh?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mertechperformance
i cant remember the last time i used my blinkers on the bike. i always use hand signals. started out when my rear signal broke off. then i had the delay issue as in this thread so i just said screw it. they arent required here in va anyway.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM
haha yeah
Squid

intoxxx is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bbad667
New to this forum, actually any forum but must say this has been a wealth of info already.
I picked up a very neglected, totally stock '98 in August with 8600 on the odo.
WHO ONLY RIDES A 98 a whole 8600 miles!!! thats what went through my mind when i met the guy.. he was afraid i could tell. WHAT ARMY BOY IS AFRAID of a Superhawk? guess he was transported in cargo convoys =\
i was lucky too, only paid a little more than you for a 99 with <10000 miles last year. im already up over 20000 and another 2g in OEM + custom retrofits

love the volume of wealth that is contained in this forum

ive had stupid ideas many times.. and also followed many great steps to be creative and make others ideas better.

also people here are always selling parts that you might need. look in the classifieds

im using spare parts currently to still ride with intentions to upgrade their stock parts for however long it takes me... when im done i embark into my next project and you will see my stock parts up for sale.

-b
Old 11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Squid

bbad667 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the responses. I feel a little better in my own skin with operating turn signals and still tend to use both bike and hand signals. For just shy of $50 on bikebandit (couldn't find on hondapartsline) I believe a new oem relay is cheap "assurance" and most likely the culprit.

Who does only ride one of these amazing bikes 8600 miles in 13 years??? Nobody I want to meet unless they are signing over the title for $1800.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Back Marker

Thank you for the responses. I feel a little better in my own skin with operating turn signals and still tend to use both bike and hand signals. For just shy of $50 on bikebandit (couldn't find on hondapartsline) I believe a new oem relay is cheap "assurance" and most likely the culprit.

Who does only ride one of these amazing bikes 8600 miles in 13 years??? Nobody I want to meet unless they are signing over the title for $1800.
My 98 has over 40,000. Someone enjoyed her company, that's for sure.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:19 AM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road
Just to revive an old thread... My left blinker flashes flashes normally and my right flashes only when ut wants too and the turn is usually completed by the time it flashes.

Are these earthed independently? Where can I find the relay? Is anything going to spring out if I dismantle the switch block?

Sorry for the questions. New owner and slightly frustrated at Honda "reliability".
Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2wheelsagain
Just to revive an old thread... My left blinker flashes flashes normally and my right flashes only when ut wants too and the turn is usually completed by the time it flashes.

Are these earthed independently? Where can I find the relay? Is anything going to spring out if I dismantle the switch block?

Sorry for the questions. New owner and slightly frustrated at Honda "reliability".
Likely it is old, cruddy lube in the turn signal switch causing the issue.. remove the left side switch assembly, disassemble switch, clean pasty crap out, use a dab of fresh dielectric silicone to block moisture and lube.. check signal functions.

Also check each light connectors and bulb sockets for corrosion.

The turn signal relay is under the rear cowl, right hand side just behind the regulator / rectifier.

Disconnect the relay connector
Short the white/green and gray wire terminals of relay connector with a with a jumper wire .
Check the turn signal light now with the ignition switch on..
If the lights come on , check for continuity between the green wire terminal and body ground.
If you have continuity, the terminals connectors are tight, clean.. replace the relay

Last edited by E.Marquez; 12-18-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Likely it is old, cruddy lube in the turn signal switch causing the issue.. remove the left side switch assembly, disassemble switch, clean pasty crap out, use a dab of fresh dielectric silicone to block moisture and lube.. check signal functions.

Also check each light connectors and bulb sockets for corrosion.

The turn signal relay is under the rear cowl, right hand side just behind the regulator / rectifier.

Disconnect the relay connector
Short the white/green and gray wire terminals of relay connector with a with a jumper wire .
Check the turn signal light now with the ignition switch on..
If the lights come on , check for continuity between the green wire terminal and body ground.
If you have continuity, the terminals connectors are tight, clean.. replace the relay
That sounds like I job I can handle over Christmas while its too hot to ride here
I picked up some "electrical quality silicone lube" today. Would that do the trick or does it need to be a grease/paste type blocker?
I have a multi meter so I can handle the relay.
Thanks for the info
Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2wheelsagain
That sounds like I job I can handle over Christmas while its too hot to ride here
I picked up some "electrical quality silicone lube" today. Would that do the trick or does it need to be a grease/paste type blocker?
I have a multi meter so I can handle the relay.
Thanks for the info
"electrical quality silicone lube" sounds good
Old 03-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone ever had the running lights work, but the turns won't? I have LEDs rear, an integrated taillight, and a new relay inline. Everything worked OK, until I tried to replace the front signals last week to LED bulbs...now they don't want to blink when the switch is activated. I've cleaned the switch & housing, but no luck. Ideas?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
LED Specific Relay LF1-S-FLAT Universal Motorcycle Electronic Flasher | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs
I have LED's all around, works great.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Squid

I also have part time blinkers but.....
What I have found is the relay seems to need to be energised. That is once the blinkers are used a few times on both sides mine come on instantly. Its fine if its used all day or every day but leave the bike for a couple of days and we're back to part time.

So I'm thinking there is a capacitor in the relay that is losing charge. All I do is have the blinkers flashing while I suite up and all is well for the rest of the trip/day.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Ahh no. Its just a coil and a set of contacts I'm afraid. Have you tried all the good suggestions mentioned in this thread that would lead you to believe it is not just a marginal connection somewhere?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:54 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mertechperformance
I'm not sure other drivers, (cages), even know what the hand signals mean. They may think you have a strange way of waving.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Upland111
Ahh no. Its just a coil and a set of contacts I'm afraid. Have you tried all the good suggestions mentioned in this thread that would lead you to believe it is not just a marginal connection somewhere?

Yep I've cleaned and re-siliconed every join and contact.
The only way my blinkers work reliably is to use them everyday.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Have you completely disassembled the turn signal switch, cleaned out the old sticky lube around the moving parts in there and re-lubed and re-assembled?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
New to this forum.... The only thing that would have made it a shorter process is knowing that there really is not + charge until approximately 3500rpm.
I just read through this thread and this stuck out as something I wanted to comment on...correct me if I'm wrong but there should be charge being applied to the battery at idle, not just above 3,500RPM. If it were true it didn't charge under 3,500 then and idling bike would run it's battery dead and stall, but that's not true...

On the blinkers, I've had the same delay and spent a while checking everything on my last VTR.. I had a few spare relays and some worked better than others...I'm had similar experience with 2wheelsagain, where once you get the blinks to work on both sides, then they work quicker...It's just the initial few times that are MORE delayed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn signal switch delay?