Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Triangle flip

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Squid

tombo is on a distinguished road
Triangle flip

Hi guys,

I did a search for this but didn't find anything. On the Blackbird, you can rotate the triangle mounting plate between the frame, shock, and swingarm and this lowers the bike about two inches. Can this also be done on the SH? It has the same type mounting plate arrangement.

I have had my bike two days and it seems that it may have been lowered, which is why I bring it up here. I'll have to take a closer look to see if any mods were done.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Nope, cant do that on the hawk as the triangle has one of the three edges with a pressed in bearing and are otherwise symmetrical... If it has been lowered the "dogbone" needs to have been changed...

Could also be dropped down front through moving the forklegs in the triples...
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Squid

thanks, I didn't think they looked exactly like the blackbird!!

Tom
Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Spend some time in the saddle before you lower the bike. Once you get use to it it should'nt be a problem. You don't want to lose ground clearance. I'm 5'6" and have never had an issue. Have fun.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Squid

I agree. I actually did the rotate on the blackbird and lost a lot of cornering feel. I thought if I lowered the rear and matched it on the front, the clip ons would be automatically raised up to a more comfortable position. It was more comfortable, but I hated the handling and the bike was a handful to get on the centerstand afterwards.

I switched it back soon!!!

My issue with the sh is that it seems to be sitting down in the rear more than the blackbird but it may be the normal position for this bike. I also saw in the forums that a 5mm shim on the rear shock is popular. We also have done a 6mm shim on the blackbird with good results!

Thanks for all the info!

Tom
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tombo
I agree. I actually did the rotate on the blackbird and lost a lot of cornering feel. I thought if I lowered the rear and matched it on the front, the clip ons would be automatically raised up to a more comfortable position. It was more comfortable, but I hated the handling and the bike was a handful to get on the centerstand afterwards.

I switched it back soon!!!

My issue with the sh is that it seems to be sitting down in the rear more than the blackbird but it may be the normal position for this bike. I also saw in the forums that a 5mm shim on the rear shock is popular. We also have done a 6mm shim on the blackbird with good results!

Thanks for all the info!

Tom
Yeah, you can get 3 0r 4 fender washers(large slotted washers) and insert them under the the top of the shock (behind the tank). This is a 10 min. job to see if you like it. If you do, you can by a used f4i shock and have JD mod it for you including a 6mm increment in length.