SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Temporary R/R? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/temporary-r-r-35392/)

ESwan 06-17-2019 10:00 AM

Temporary R/R?

My R/R went out yesterday when driving around town. I have ordered a MOFSET replacement along with the proper wires, however shipping was going to take a while. Is there anything i can do in the meantime to be able to ride? I'd be okay with running an OEM one for a few weeks if I could find one cheap locally. I wasn't sure if anyone knew of anything that I could pick up from a generic parts store.

If not that's fine. I was just hoping to be able to ride while I wait for the upgraded parts to come in.

Thanks in advance,
Erik

E.Marquez 06-17-2019 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ESwan (Post 410487)
My R/R went out yesterday when driving around town. I have ordered a MOFSET replacement along with the proper wires, however shipping was going to take a while. Is there anything i can do in the meantime to be able to ride? I'd be okay with running an OEM one for a few weeks if I could find one cheap locally. I wasn't sure if anyone knew of anything that I could pick up from a generic parts store.

If not that's fine. I was just hoping to be able to ride while I wait for the upgraded parts to come in.

Thanks in advance,
Erik

Any 5 wire RR from a bike 500cc or larger will likely work.
May need to get the harness section with plug to make it compatible.

Out of curiously, who did you get the kit and "proper" wiring from? Was not aware anyone but me made a proper cable to adapt the FH020 RR to a SH.

E.Marquez 06-17-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ESwan (Post 410487)
I have ordered a MOFSET replacement along with the proper wires, however shipping was going to take a while
Erik

Oh and , shipping from Texas to Illinois is normally 2-4 business days ..if your kit is taking longer than that, perhaps I can help with a kit and you return the other when it eventually gets there.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...d4ca15d398.jpg

ESwan 06-17-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 410488)

Out of curiously, who did you get the kit and "proper" wiring from? Was not aware anyone but me made a proper cable to adapt the FH020 RR to a SH.

I bought a FH010 and bought cable from eastern beaver. Eastern beaver sells the cable so you can wire directly into the battery and stator without using stock cables. That's what I was referring to when I said "proper" wiring. I should have specified more.

In all honestly, I can wait for the parts to come. I was just hoping there was a cheap ~20 dollar part at autozone (or similar) that could keep me on the road for a few extra days.

ESwan 06-17-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 410489)
Oh and , shipping from Texas to Illinois is normally 2-4 business days ..if your kit is taking longer than that, perhaps I can help with a kit and you return the other when it eventually gets there.

With all my research on this form about R/R's I'm very disappointed I didn't see your sales thread sooner.

CaryDG 06-17-2019 02:35 PM

That is a bummer! His latest itineration is literally Plug and Play. Well almost anyways. You do have to mount the R/R and connect the battery leads. LOL

E.Marquez 06-17-2019 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ESwan (Post 410491)
With all my research on this form about R/R's I'm very disappointed I didn't see your sales thread sooner.

Jim at Eastern Beaver makes good stuff. I have used his produces for a long time, well rather sourced parts from him to make products and do installs.

If it were not for long lead times, higher shipping coupled with he no longer has a lock on the connectors that once he was a sole source for, Id still buy from him..
The FH010 is almost undersized for a VTR as its rated at 25 amps, the VTR is a 23.5 max amp system.
The good news is, if/ when you burn up the FH010, it uses the same connectors as the FH020 shunt MOSFET RR and the SH 847 switching series.

Hopefully you bought a tested good used FH010, not a "New" one ...seeing as there are no New genuine Shindagin FH010 or FH012 being sold, long out of production. FH010 some time before 2010 and FH012 not since just after the Japan Earthquake in 2011.

captainchaos 06-17-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 410488)

I believe Eastern Beaver has had it for awhile. I bought mine from the other guy ;)