Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Superhawk and Wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Squid

Grasshopper is on a distinguished road
Superhawk and Wheelies

I'm buying a Superhawk tonight and I'm curious about the motor and riding wheelies. I've been know to hang some pretty long lofters and trust me there is no need for hating. I'm the type to keep the wheelies off the highway and on the backroads where they belong.

The reason why I'm asking is because I've been riding and racing SVs for years and the SV motor does not like long wheelies. I have spun connecting rod bearings on several motors from riding too long of wheelies. My theory is because when you're on the back wheel the oil pickup isn't pumping oil properly.

Has anyone experienced this with the Superhawk?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Yes, I have heard of it happening with Super Hawks. See if you can do it and then let us know how long it takes to get replacement con rod bearings.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Yes, I have heard of it happening with Super Hawks. See if you can do it and then let us know how long it takes to get replacement con rod bearings.
+1
Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
thats why my wheelies last 7 - 10 feet. lol
Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
is this a spam thread?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Physics say that when you are on the back wheel oil collects in the rear cylinder, not being pulled down the way it's supposed to becuase of the design of the channels... End result is bad...
Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Nick,
I'd guess that long wheelies are not good for any motorcycle motor unless they have been altered for oil pickup at the back. I popped the front end up at Roebling, but it went right back down.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Squid

Who is the best wheelie rider on this forum? Someone get him in this thread and lets see what he has to say.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Back Marker

Just get a unicycle and keep that grin on your face forever!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
I`ve got 36000 miles on my 98 superhawk and half of those have been on the rear wheel with no motor problems. The only problem i`ve had is with my R/R.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Who is the best wheelie rider on this forum? Someone get him in this thread and lets see what he has to say.
Haven't got the faintest idea who that is... I can ride a fair while on one wheel if I want too... Haven't had a problem... But like it's been said, there have been cases where it has happened... And by design it is possible problem... So keep it too a shorter time on the back wheel and all is fine... Push it and it might be expensive... Your choice...
Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The cops got this in crosshairs now. A wheelie in traffic - just one - can land you with numerous charges - some of them felony level. Remember the first wrist they put in the cuff is the right.

CHILL, chill, chilllllll !!!!!

All the bikinis are coming out now. Get yours. The rule of the road with the Superhawk is "not even one" beer is cool! Live free - live smart! Lawman doesn't need to draw the line for you. You do.

Just for interesting reading do a search for a thread called "mono through a girl's school zone"

Chill. Gentlemen, Chill. June is coming and for chicks that's like December but upside down. They get naked now and want to cuddle and then they get all bundled up and want to cuddle by Thanksgiving.

The human nesting behaviors start with the female making formative remarks at the end of summer racing season - doesn't make any difference what you race, "Now that you're done with that what's next?"

New pillows for the bed, I guess.

Play along and enjoy yourself. Make a practice of being the guy with the really big bike that stayed behind just because he could help.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:32 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I've never had a problem and have ridden a considerable amount on one wheel for extended periods.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
The cops got this in crosshairs now. A wheelie in traffic - just one - can land you with numerous charges - some of them felony level.

http://www.woai.com/mostpopular/stor...SryLWXTpw.cspx

I'll bet every cop in the country has heard about this already.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Squid

daysaroonie is on a distinguished road
Hell thats why I bought a Super Hawk. I'm just going from one wheelie monster (hawk gt) to another with a smile, GRIN on my face.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Squid

Fuzz_AZ is on a distinguished road
I got pulled over last night after stoping at an intersection, cop said my front forks compressed too far so I approached the intersection at too high of speed. He gave me a warning so I decided it best to just keep my mouth shut. Point being all a cop has to do is think your driving like a jackass, gotta be on best behavior or you wont be riding long.

btw: I cant do a wheelie, dont know why but I never tried that hard. I bet changing the sprockets would make it alot easier.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Its easy to do a wheelie with the SH. I do power wheelies cause I dont like the idea of having to replace my clutch from doing clutch wheelies. Just put her in first. Get to about 5 grand or 30 mph and then crack the throttle hard. She should come right up. Just make sure you cover your rear brake if she gets to high for comfort. Also Do a search on wheelies or topics like that. Lots of good reading material and welcome to the forum.

Philip
Old 05-20-2010, 12:19 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fuzz_AZ
I got pulled over last night after stoping at an intersection, cop said my front forks compressed too far so I approached the intersection at too high of speed. He gave me a warning so I decided it best to just keep my mouth shut. Point being all a cop has to do is think your driving like a jackass, gotta be on best behavior or you wont be riding long.

btw: I cant do a wheelie, dont know why but I never tried that hard. I bet changing the sprockets would make it alot easier.

As I had problems before...if you can roll on the throttle evenly but pretty far in first gear and the bike doesn't come up, somethings wrong. If you can whack the throttle in first at any point over 3500 rpm and it doesn't come up real hard, something's really wrong. You don't have to try, in fact, you should have to try to avoid it!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
+1 on if your bike doesnt come up easily in first gear somethings wrong. Im 6' 250lb and all i have to do is crack open the throttle and it comes up just fine with stock gearing. I have 15 tooth front and 43 tooth rear sprocket and a speedo healer that should be here any day now I cant wait to see what it will do with the gearing changed like that
Old 05-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Back Marker

I dont ever do wheelies, the fun of a bike for me is in the turns Plus, the people I see doing wheelies are not people I would want to be associated with (no offense to present company).
Old 05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
MotoGP

Theere is wheelies and then there is wheelies... I do consistantly carry the front in 2-3 when hard on the power... Ie front wheel 1-2" over the tarmac before it goes down and you shift...

Then there is the high balance point dumb-*** stuff... That has no place on a public road... I do it very rarely, but on the occasion I do get the urge...
Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
In NJ, a wheelie is a reckless act and carries a 5 point ticket and high$ fine.........i know from experience. But it wasnt my fault......HONEST! lol :-)
Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I got caught in NH once doing it right by a state trooper the fine was $1000 and 2 points on my license. I took a defensive driving course and got those 2 points off and my insurance reduced. I'll just be more careful is all.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
I couldn't / wouldn't do a full wheelie if I tried...I'd kick myself for dropping the bike and the wife would kick me for falling off. Sure, the front comes up if you bark off the line, like is does on my Buell - the ultimate wheelie monster! The VTR is way to much fun to f*** with the risky stuff.

You Tube is full of wannabees who like to wheelie! Not for me...

Last edited by CANADAVTR; 05-20-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
P.S. Uchi...that **** end of your bike is flippin' awesome...it looks great. Good job, buddy. Me like.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Squid

You Toronto folks have any good twisty roads out there? I say road trip if so and yank a second gear stand up right past the Canadian border guard on the gas hard.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1 to Canadavtr
The joy of a wheelie might last about a minute. Self reproach from looping it can last a lifetime.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Squid
Squid

Torque Junkie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fuzz_AZ
I got pulled over last night after stoping at an intersection, cop said my front forks compressed too far so I approached the intersection at too high of speed.

What? The cop knows what front springs you have and knows they are the correct size for your weight, so you must have been speeding? I don't back talk cops, but I would have said that I wasn't speeding, my front springs may be too soft, and I'll look into it. I would have asked him what the correct amount of spring travel I require to be law compliant.

It is not against the law to brake late, as long as it is not wreckless. That is just short of harrassment in my opinion.

Here are 5 law abiding reasons for "excessive fork travel"
  1. There was an oil patch across the lane so I had to brake late to avoid a possible crash.
  2. My suspension is stock, set up for a 150# rider from the factory.
  3. My compression wasn't excessive. Can a cop can really tell 70' away the difference between 40mm and 60mm of compression?
  4. The light turned yellow when I was 100' away going the full speed limit, you chose to brake in that time instead of run a yellow light turning red.
  5. You used engine braking to slow down and pulled the clutch in the last 20' and had to use additional front braking to stop at the end.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
I know my brother loves to do 2 and 3 gear long wheelies down the hwy he hasn't had any problems yet and only problem I have had from doing wheelies was a leaking fork seal. I blame the fork seal more towards not knowing the condition prior to intalling the forks.

Oh and for California people wheelies are just like street racing you lose your bike to impound, get to spend a lovely night in jail and lose your license in a worst case situation. I had this explained to me by a cop several years back on my old superhawk.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thusspakebenji

is this a spam thread?

No, Spam is squid free.

Rex

Quick Reply: Superhawk and Wheelies