Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Smaller Battery Possible ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Smaller Battery Possible ????

Hey all....

On my VTR project bike, i want to do the whole undertail exhaust thing, but needless to say space is a bit tight with the tail I'm using (2007 GSXR)... ok, it's extremely tight....

Anybody have any idea if I can use a smaller battery (physical dimensions) without any MAJOR implications. I fully understand a smaller battery will probably not give a ton of cranking time when starting, but the bike starts so easily now, that doesn't really scare me too much, I use a floating trickle charger on my bikes when parked, so the batteries stay in a pretty good charged state...

So, let me have it.... anyone using a smaller battery? Anyone used one and found out it works, or will make my bike blow up in flames? Any sites/info that might cover some of this you can let me know about... I gotta believe (hope) there are alternatives....

Thanks in advance...

J.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:39 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
check this thread: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=14482
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Let me get this right, you already have two big jugs and now you want a hight tight tail too? Well......if you get what you want, we want pictures.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:10 PM
SuperSport

I'm not ridiculous... I'm not planning on putting two giant VTR exhaust cans up there.... I have a two brothers exhaust off a 2007 CBR... horizontal oval.... looks nice... but I'm already debating going with just one can to the side to minimize the endless work I'd have to do if I can't fit everything.

J.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
I'm not ridiculous... I'm not planning on putting two giant VTR exhaust cans up there.... I have a two brothers exhaust off a 2007 CBR... horizontal oval.... looks nice... but I'm already debating going with just one can to the side to minimize the endless work I'd have to do if I can't fit everything.

J.

To answer your question, yes, you can use a smaller battery but I would reccomend using a battery tender. My battery died on my SH and right now im using the battery out of my DRZ supermoto in the SH. The DRZ battery is quite a bit shorter and narrower, it cranks the SH just fine.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 AM
SuperSport

Cool...

Yeah... I've already been on the battery tenders for the last 3 years... One toasted R/R and accompanying battery will make you take percautions next time around!!!!

J.