Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

shifting on the SH

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Squid

timc
shifting on the SH

Hi, I wanted to see if this is normal for the Hawk, When shifting into second gear it clunks going in. It goes in just fine, the bike has only 1900 miles on it and I bought it new. I have been easy on the bike. Any info would be great thanks. Also when do you guys think would be a good time to go to full synthetic oil?
Thanks, Tiim
Old 09-30-2005, 12:27 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: shifting on the SH

shifting into second seems to be point of concern here. they all seem to go into second kinda hard. mine too, but I've found that you have to sort of time your shift for a certain rmp. it will shift effortlessly if you can find it. I've owned the bike for a year now, and I'm finally consistant with it. anyway, try shifting at different rpm's see if it makes a difference. can't help ya with the oil thing. I've got partial synthetic. if full synth. is definitely better, I too would appreciate someone telling me.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:09 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Yep, it is. Yep, I do.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:20 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Yes, 1-2 is clunky. Try to find the sweet spot.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:09 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine clunks harder going into first.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:53 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

They do that too. don't worry about it.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Superstock

cdyer77
try moving the shifter lever by one tooth where it connects to the splined shaft that goes into the motor.

It will make a world of difference in the feel of the shift. It shortens the throw so its almost like you have the shift lever pre loaded before shifting.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:01 AM
SuperSport

Loco

Actually,

Honda recommends that you DO NOT use a fully synthetic engine oil. It has to do with the clutch using the same oil, and requiring a bit more "grab" than you get with fully synthetic oils. They recommend semi-synthetic, which is roughly the same price, and I'd rather not find out the hard way about the clutch. I use Castrol Syntec Semi-Syn, and it works great, plus it lasts like 7500 miles.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
As it has been said, the shifts are just hard. I usually shift to 2nd around 3k or below to help reduce the "clunk."
Old 12-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Superstock

woodman

Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
Actually,

Honda recommends that you DO NOT use a fully synthetic engine oil. It has to do with the clutch using the same oil, and requiring a bit more "grab" than you get with fully synthetic oils. They recommend semi-synthetic, which is roughly the same price, and I'd rather not find out the hard way about the clutch. I use Castrol Syntec Semi-Syn, and it works great, plus it lasts like 7500 miles.
I'd like to know where you got this info also.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as the shifting as everyone else said it's normal. But if you have the money and short leg length,(people under 6'2" or don't mind scrunching), rear sets give the bike a whole new feel and improve shifting. They have more leverage with the longer rod.

With the oil, it shouldn't matter if it's synthetic or not. What really matters is the amount of detergent in the oil. Too much detergent will make a wet clutch slip.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Squid

DavidH1172
What brand of rearsets do you recommend?
I've only been able to find two: Gilles and Harris. Which is best in anyone's opinion?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
There is also Coerce. Not quite as pretty as the Gilles or Harris. They can be found on eBay under "chapter711" for sale items, or you can look at their website at www.pac-max.com. I haven't tried their rearsets, but the seller (chapter711) is a great guy.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:46 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

This is an old thread I know, but being a new member I have just found it, and I thought I would add in what I have found.

Factory Pro makes a gearbox shifting component that is called a Evo 7 Shift Star (I think this is what they call it) It is connected to the other end of the splined shifting shaft that runs across the motor to behind the clutch, and operates the shift drum. The standard part looks just like a pizza cutter and is a low quality component that is connected by a pin. The Factory Pro part is run on a bearing and is easily 200% better in its design. The standart part is quite poor in its design. I am yet to install it as my engine is not yet assembled but it looks very good. Should make a vast imrovement in the mechanism.

Another mod I have done is to replace the ball and cup joints on the shifter connecting/adjuster rod. These joints have a lot of play in them. I have replaced them with joints of the type used on a Yamaha R1 which are available from bearing suppliers here in Oz with left and right hand threads. The tolerances are much better and take all the play out of the rod. I also had a new brass bush installed in the shifter mount with less tolerance than the standard bush. A great improvement all round in my opinion. This is worth doing if you want to retain the standard peg assembles instead of getting rearsets.

Cheers,
Shayne
Old 01-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Superstock

woodman

Do you have part #'s for the ball andd socket joints? How about a supplier?
Thanks
Old 01-01-2006, 03:45 PM
SuperSport

G'day Woodman.

I have looked up my Yamaha invoices for you, and unfortunately no part numbers are listed. I would only buy Yamaha bits if I had to if I was you, as they were about $125 AUD as opposed to $35 AUD from my local bearing service. The Yamaha part is also right hand thread and we need a RH & LH thread to keep the linkage adjustable. The bearing shop sold both. Unfortunately I only found this out after I had bought the Yamaha ones and then cut off a RH thread and welded on a LH one. A bit of stuffing about and a lot dearer.

These joints are not a ball and cup arrangement like the standard Superhawk ones. The are a rotating ball with a bolt through the centre. The same design as you see on tractor hydraulic linkages. The CBR 600 & 100 have them as well, however Honda don't sell them separate to the shifter assembly.

If you go to your Honda dealer and go and wiggle a Hawk shifter and then go an wiggle a Blade shifter the difference is huge. No play in the Blade linkages.

As for a supplier, here in Australia, wherever you buy bearings and oil seals is where to get them. Hopefully bearing shops in your area should be able to help you out.

Cheers,
Shayne
Old 01-01-2006, 09:10 PM
SuperSport

Thanks for that bronco78, I was going to guess at them being called a heim joint, but didn't want to tell people the wrong thing and send them off track.

You are correct, it is a simple job, and gives good improvement, as does re-bushing the actual shifter on the fotpeg mount. Added together the result is very good. The only other thing I would add would be to look for some rubber boots to keep them covered and the dirt out. The Yamaha boot is a separate part and only a few bucks for a couple if they cannot be found elsewhere.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bronco78";p=&quot
This is a cake walk..... Manufacture is Aurora Bearing Part number is MM-M6T for the right hand thread one andPart number MB-M6T for the left hand one.. This is all simple stuff
Bronc, I luv you and want to have your baby! :P

Please post a pictorial how-to when you get things sorted, puh-leeze. After having to readjust my linkage when I lowered my footpegs, I noticed a small but noteable improvement in shifting. This should work wonders.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:41 PM
SuperSport

Yeah it does. I am used to dirt bikes that run the shifter straight on to the spline, and therefore have nothing to get any play in. So I went looking to improve the VTR.

Glad I could help you boys out.

Cheers,
Shayne
Old 01-04-2006, 08:28 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Any riding impressions?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Seemed like a good idea to revive this old thread. The topic has come up recently, and there is a lot of good info here, albeit a bit incomplete.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:37 AM
SuperSport

Well then, what else do you want to know?

Ask away!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Heh.. I feel like I'm pulling-an-everybody... I'm trying to visualize the process without actually taking everything apart. It seems like all I (or any- and everyone) should need would be the LH and RH rod ends, and then the R1 rubber covers, right? It seems like a really inexpensive mod that is totally beneficial/worthwhile, and the only cost is not being able to return to the stock/inferior setup. Am I right?

I actually am in no big hurry to do this mod, as there is actually very little play in my shifter. I just tested it against the 4 dirt bikes sitting in the garage, and it sure ain't bad. (Only got 3500 miles on it). But as the joints further break in, I'll be thinking more and more about it, and just thought I'd ask for clarification for me and anyone else who might be thinking about doing it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:24 AM
SuperSport

Yes, I agree. Easy cheap, and a great mod in my opinion. You wouldn't want to go back. If they ever wore out they are cheaper than the Honda parts anyway.

Maybe I am pickier than you, but I thought the standard shifter set-up is quite poor. I went and looked at a new bike, and it was not very good, let alone a worn that has done a few miles. Just my opinion of course, but I think there is a big difference to be felt.

Quick Reply: shifting on the SH