SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Running hotter and using more fuel (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/running-hotter-using-more-fuel-30076/)

whatthefnck 03-31-2013 02:21 PM

Running hotter and using more fuel

I have about 200mi after readjusting my rear cams. Seems at 80 degrees lately my bike has been running hotter than it did at peak of last summer. And seems to be drinking more fuel. Did I maybe hook up the fuel tank or something wrong?

Tweety 04-01-2013 12:20 AM

Might try giving your manual CCT's a little, little adjustment...

whatthefnck 04-01-2013 12:28 AM

Not using manuals. OEMs
Would the fact that when I reinstalled the cams I have no slack between the cam sprockets make it hotter? That wouldn't make any sense to me.

RWhisen 04-01-2013 04:19 AM

What do you mean "no slack between the cam sprockets"?

whatthefnck 04-01-2013 07:23 AM

Someone on another thread wrote he had 1/4 in slack between his cams. So I thought maybe it was pertinent to add that info. But when I checked my rear cylinder valve clearances and reassembled the cam sprockets to spec and made sure there was no slack from the intake cam to crank, and no slack between the intake and exhaust. All slack was from crank to exhaust sprocket.

7moore7 04-01-2013 08:29 AM

Hopefully you saw my response in your other thread, but adjusting slack is only for manual CCT's. So yours should be correct.

If you've only run one or two tanks, I'd run a couple more before being concerned about fuel usage. Sometimes you just get a tank or two that don't match.

As far as cooling, if the bike has sat for a bit, it may just need a coolant flush or new cap. Is the fan still kickin on?

whatthefnck 04-01-2013 08:48 AM

Yes fan works every time at 216. Bike hasn't sat without running for more than 2 weeks at a time. It has fresh coolant from 11k miles ago

whatthefnck 04-02-2013 07:07 PM

I'm not sure what else to check

NHSH 04-02-2013 08:02 PM

Do you have gas smell around the bike? Maybe you have a small leak? Could be even the petcock diaphragm..

8541Hawk 04-02-2013 08:21 PM

Could you possibly be getting used to the bike and just twisting the throttle harder?

So how hot is it actually getting? Also are you moving or sitting in traffic?

What kind of mileage are you getting?

whatthefnck 04-02-2013 08:28 PM

Nothing different than usual riding and conditions. It's not even hot here yet. Only thing is I reattached the fuel tank with the vacuum hose connected to the petcock but it ran like shit and I didn't go anywhere with it. Then on here I was instructed proper connection. Is it possible some gas got into vacuum line and might cause some issue?

8541Hawk 04-02-2013 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by whatthefnck (Post 351962)
Nothing different than usual riding and conditions. It's not even hot here yet. Only thing is I reattached the fuel tank with the vacuum hose connected to the petcock but it ran like shit and I didn't go anywhere with it. Then on here I was instructed proper connection. Is it possible some gas got into vacuum line and might cause some issue?

No it wouldn't cause an issue.

I would go through and check all the vacuum connections to make sure you didn't miss any or if it has been de-pair'ed that all the ports are plugged.

whatthefnck 04-02-2013 08:48 PM

De-pair'ed? I'm not familiar with that. And as far as the hoses, they're only so long and of certain sizes so its hard to miss what fitting it belongs. The lil grey vacuum seems the only one that could be confusing, as it got me. No leaking either. So I'm a lil baffled.

cybercarl 04-03-2013 12:41 AM

Is it physically getting hot IE. temp gauge rising more or is it that it smells or feels hotter. Have you put a fairing lower on recently as this sends more hot air towards the rider.

(:-})

Tweety 04-03-2013 01:54 AM

It's also very poosible with an old and tired petcock that plugging the vaccum on the wrong port would have torn the diaphragm... So while it most likely was fine before, it's very possible it's now leaking, and causing you these symptoms... Test it by sucking on the vaccum line and see if it opens and then shuts as it's supposed too...