Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Risers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Risers?

Evening everyone. I wanted to ask about risers for a stock 2000 SH. I like having my bike the way it is but my wrists are killing me after riding anything more than about 50 miles a day. I do not want to change anything as far as bars or make any alterations to fairings (anything really, I love the natural beauty).

I do not know a whole lot about different risers or anything for the SH but have read that you can get a set that raise the stock bars about 3/4" to help relieve wrist and neck/back pain.

Can someone more knowledgeable chime in here and shed some more light on this for me? Can I get a set that will not change the bike other than raising the stock bars? (Are the stock bars are clip-ons?)

Is one brand better? More preferred?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
like I wrote in another thread, I have the clip-ons up to top of forks and back about 1/2" and rotated foot pegs back and up. Ride with little to no weight on wrists. Light on grips, steering input(countersteer) then lighten up again. Weight pegs and use core for support. I usually only ride 100-200miles at a time, so this works for me. If you ride longer, this may help as an alternate to your method if you can't hold yourself with your core/legs. My neck does bother me sometimes more than others, but I just bought an inversion table to see if I can get it loosened a bit.

I believe the OEM shield being low helps to hold you up a bit compared to the Double Bubble, so it may be better for using the wind for support at speed.
I trained myself to sit straight, hips forward, back arched when driving truck, so I guess it carried over to my riding position. Seems contradictory initially to sit erect and be relaxed at the arms and hands, but that's the way it works for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
One brand of risers I know is Genmar. They simply raise the stock clipons. You could also use VFR bars, or if you have the $ convertibars are really nice as they offer a range of adjustments.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Squid

cosean is on a distinguished road
I used the Genmar and they made a huge difference, especially on those long rides. They shift your weight just enough that you don't get the pain in your hands and wrists.

I attached a pic so you can see how they look.
Attached Thumbnails Risers?-motorcycle-project.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
There aren't any risers which allow for a .75 inch lift with OEM clipons 'cause before you lift the stock clipons that high, you've run out of fork tube to attach them to.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:04 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
in my case, i think too that it helps that the front is lowered(forks raised) and the rear is raised in addition to the altered bar and peg positions. Riding position is much more comfortable. Whatever alterations necessary to keep pressure off hands/wrists are worth the effort in terms of comfort and handling. Experiment till you get it right for your body size.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I liked mine and now they are for sell if anybody needs them just pm me...$50+ship
Attached Thumbnails Risers?-vtr-bar-risers.jpg   Risers?-vtr-bar-risers-2.jpg   Risers?-vtr-bar-risers-3.jpg  
Old 01-14-2010, 06:19 AM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone.

FL02: I may be in touch with you after I take a look at bills and everything in a few weeks.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eersfanpilot
Thanks everyone.

FL02: I may be in touch with you after I take a look at bills and everything in a few weeks.
Okay
Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
I've been quite happy with the Helibars. I'm not sure if they still make them for the hawk though but I imagine they could be requested.
Attached Thumbnails Risers?-img_4579-copy.jpg  
Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cosean
I used the Genmar and they made a huge difference, especially on those long rides. They shift your weight just enough that you don't get the pain in your hands and wrists.

I attached a pic so you can see how they look.
Thread jack: whose GPS(?) stem mount do you have and how do you like it?