SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   RC51 Cluster Swap Question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rc51-cluster-swap-question-11514/)

SNGPerformance 05-20-2007 07:41 PM

RC51 Cluster Swap Question

Okay, I've got everything together now. Only two things I haven't had the time to figure out. Tach doesn't work and the Temp gauge doesn't work. Does any one know what is needed or at least some ideas? Thanks!!

superbling 05-20-2007 07:58 PM

I think you are dealing with the issues of a FI vs Carb'ed bike (i.e., no computer). The 51 temp sensor most likely is a typical honda 3 wire assembly. Not sure about the tach problem.

kai ju 05-20-2007 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 53842)
I think you are dealing with the issues of a FI vs Carb'ed bike (i.e., no computer). The 51 temp sensor most likely is a typical honda 3 wire assembly. Not sure about the tach problem.

Hey SNG, I'm running CBR929 gauges on my bike and the tach doesn't care where it gets it's signal from as long as it's the YL/G wire from the ECM.
That's the same color for both the RC51 and the VTR. ( Just looked it up on their respective wiring diagrams )
So is the ground ( G/BL ) and the switched power ( BL/BR ).
In regards to the temp gauge, Honda is pretty consistent with their wire colors in regards to function, just make sure that you have a good, clean ground and that the colors are matched.

Kai Ju

SNGPerformance 05-21-2007 07:26 PM

Thanks guys. I'll check it out.

bealsey 02-10-2010 12:11 PM

I am doing the same swap interested if you had any luck getting the gauges to work properly?!

Hawkrider 02-10-2010 05:51 PM

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

AngryOlaf 02-10-2010 07:28 PM

Threads never die... they just quiet down for a while. :p

scatterbrained 02-10-2010 09:31 PM

He's got a good point, there needs to be closure for us to move on.

BBB 06-09-2010 12:13 AM

Have we now moved on?

Tweety 06-09-2010 12:35 AM

Ok, since people want closure (and are to lazy to read the other threads, which answers this) I'll put it here...

The tach works unless you mess up the wiring, there is absolutely no difference with a digital LCD or a manual needle... The gauges from 97 onwards on the VTR is "digital" in the circuits behind the gauge face... If it doesn't work, you messed it up...

The temp gauge is another matter, the ECT on the VTR is separate from the sensor for the gauge and not a common three pronged one as on the newer models (CBR & RC) so you need to find a replacement sensor with the right resistance range... You can wire it up to "work" but the display will be off by a fairly big margin on the stock VTR sensor...

Now go read the other threads...;)

1971allchaos 03-01-2011 05:21 PM

And the LAST words, Fall Heavy, for closure....

Tweety 03-02-2011 01:56 AM

Actually, since then I have solved that problem... If anybody want's too I'll gladly provide them with the manufacturer and the rest of the info to get the correct sensor... You need to cut the connector of it and wire it together, but other than that it's plug and play...

E.Marquez 03-02-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 294592)
Actually, since then I have solved that problem... If anybody want's too I'll gladly provide them with the manufacturer and the rest of the info to get the correct sensor... You need to cut the connector of it and wire it together, but other than that it's plug and play...

OK I'll ask....what is the manufacturer and the rest of the info to get the correct sensor... :D

calitoz 03-02-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 294614)
OK I'll ask....what is the manufacturer and the rest of the info to get the correct sensor... :D

We really need a KB write up on this. Yeah there are several great posts on the subject but I nominate Tweety to author a KB sticky...:D