Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

R/R undercharge or overcharge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
R/R undercharge or overcharge?

I have a problem with the RR.....atleast all fingers point to that..... but im confused....

My bike was undercharging (presumably) because i had to charge it all the time.....then one night it had that rotten egg smell and when i checked the battery was hot.....the next day the bike died while riding and after push starting it to get home the battery whistled and started leaking and completely died....

my question is.....if the RR is bad, why would it undercharge...and then all the sudden overcharge and fry the battery......im lost

and is the RR also refered to as a voltage regulator by some people?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HisHawkiness
I have a problem with the RR.....atleast all fingers point to that..... but im confused....

My bike was undercharging (presumably) because i had to charge it all the time.....then one night it had that rotten egg smell and when i checked the battery was hot.....the next day the bike died while riding and after push starting it to get home the battery whistled and started leaking and completely died....

my question is.....if the RR is bad, why would it undercharge...and then all the sudden overcharge and fry the battery......im lost

and is the RR also refered to as a voltage regulator by some people?
RR is known as the Voltage regulator/rectifier. USUALLY , when the RR goes, it overcharges. 90% of the time, if it is undercharging, it's the stator. You should be able to test both if you have a manual with the specs.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Back Marker

Ohio Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
My Hawk was under charging and it was just the RR.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Who had a stator fail on here. I haven't heard of a stator failure yet. Mine is doin the same thing. It is putting out 12.9v at 5k rpms. It is low per Honda manual but I am not sure if it is enough to discharge the battery. I have to test the R/R tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:26 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Judging by most reports, r/r's typically under charge when the go bad and that's a good thing. This fellows bike is definitely over charging now. The battery is toast too. Replace both and also check the connectors and the actual wiring under the tape for burns.

Who really knows why poor r/r's do what they do but they do.

Hypothesis: Yours may have overcharged all along and it quickly took out the battery which then would not take a charge making you think it was undercharging. Eventually the battery boils its acid and you get that oh so lovely smell. yum.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:25 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Mine overcharged when it failed (killed the battery too) so it dies both ways.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Squid

torquepeak is on a distinguished road
Mine stranded me today! RR toasted the connector and wires enough to blow the wire like a fuse. The battery discharded on my ride home and ...cough sput..dead.

FYI, The hawk fits in a "stow and go" chrysler (Chryslerberus?) minivan if you roll it in through the side door.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
When mine went at 21000 miles, it got my battery so hot you couldnt touch it or you would burn your hands and the sides swelled out to the point I couldnt pull it out of the battery box. I just got back from a Sunday ride, shut the bike off and heard a real loud hissing. thought it was a snake in the grass at first.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Back Marker

yeah im just spooked it could be the stator....but they are rare to fail from what i hear....

but from what you guys have said....if it was the stator it would undercharge...and that would have never fried my battery.

like superbling said, it was probably overcharging all along and it just fried the battery finaly.... iv heard its cheaper and better to convert to a gixxer or R1 RR....how hard is this really, just knowing which wires to switch? and is it really better than the upgraded OEM style ones....plus...will it mount in the bike or will i have to duct tape it in or something crappy?

Originally Posted by superbling
Judging by most reports, r/r's typically under charge when the go bad and that's a good thing. This fellows bike is definitely over charging now. The battery is toast too. Replace both and also check the connectors and the actual wiring under the tape for burns.

Who really knows why poor r/r's do what they do but they do.

Hypothesis: Yours may have overcharged all along and it quickly took out the battery which then would not take a charge making you think it was undercharging. Eventually the battery boils its acid and you get that oh so lovely smell. yum.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
Mine under charged and I bought the new finned style RR. Replaced the battery too but it was time for one anyway, stator was fine. Superbling has it right. Make sure all the connections are free of any corrosion.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Back Marker

can anyone point me in the right direction to a gixxer 750 or R1 RR swap how-to....i used the search button but can't come up with anything usefull..