SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   quit running after raid storm (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/quit-running-after-raid-storm-25501/)

lavlamp 05-07-2011 10:03 AM

quit running after rain storm

Hey guys i got stuck out in a flash flood, stuck under an overpass an hour out of the city all night. When i went to go start the bike (it was still raining) the bike was soaked and would turn over but not start.

I trailered the bike home and have it apart now, spark plugs are replaced but it seems to have no spark. where should i go from here?

Thanks guys!

bass4dude 05-07-2011 10:32 AM

how high did the water get up?

If it got up to the point where it could go down the exhaust pipes you may have a problem.

Do you have any other electrics when you start the bike? Did you check fuses?

And it's realllllllllllly not a good idea to be working on the electrical system of any motorized vehicle or charged piece of equipment while it's raining.

kai ju 05-07-2011 01:02 PM

Stuck in the rain

Happened to me as well, not as bad as yours but the bike still died.
Turns out that the fuel tank breather hose gets full of water and prevents fuel from flowing into the float bowls.
Open the gas cap and see if the bike will run. If it does, take the fuel tank breather hose and cut it on a diagonal so water won't get sucked up into the hose.
You say it 'seems' to have no spark. How did you check for spark ?

lavlamp 05-07-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by bass4dude (Post 301934)
how high did the water get up?

If it got up to the point where it could go down the exhaust pipes you may have a problem.

Do you have any other electrics when you start the bike? Did you check fuses?

And it's realllllllllllly not a good idea to be working on the electrical system of any motorized vehicle or charged piece of equipment while it's raining.

water under the overpass didnt get up past 3 inches where i was parked so it wasnt too bad. I left the bike there and hitchhiked into town since it wouldnt start, then towed it back the next day and i am working on it in my garage, nice and dry! :)

lavlamp 05-07-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by kai ju (Post 301948)
Happened to me as well, not as bad as yours but the bike still died.
Turns out that the fuel tank breather hose gets full of water and prevents fuel from flowing into the float bowls.
Open the gas cap and see if the bike will run. If it does, take the fuel tank breather hose and cut it on a diagonal so water won't get sucked up into the hose.
You say it 'seems' to have no spark. How did you check for spark ?

I tested for spark by putting the cap to metal, and nothing for front or back. ive tried starting it with the gas tank open and unfortunitly no luck

CrankenFine 05-08-2011 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by lavlamp (Post 301953)
I tested for spark by putting the cap to metal

If you mean the cap at the end of the spark plug wire, you should insert the spark plug before testing, and then holiding by insulation on cap, press the threads against engine metal and observe the spark gap while cranking. Be sure the kill switch is on. (I've confused myself with that part!)

fred 05-09-2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 302000)
Be sure the kill switch is on. (I've confused myself with that part!)

heh. good point. i've drained a battery before realizing the sorry truth.

lavlamp 05-19-2011 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 302000)
If you mean the cap at the end of the spark plug wire, you should insert the spark plug before testing, and then holiding by insulation on cap, press the threads against engine metal and observe the spark gap while cranking. Be sure the kill switch is on. (I've confused myself with that part!)

ha yeah i checked to make sure kill switch was not on, im sure everyone has done that before! will try what you said when i finally get home from work tomorrow, thanks