SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   question about engine noise (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/question-about-engine-noise-25359/)

newbierider77 04-26-2011 08:37 AM

question about engine noise

Thanks for all the advise you guys have given me. Ive got a new question. So I havent really ridden this bike yet, still going over everything. So when I start her up she sounds great nice and smooth. After she gets warm, and I give it a little rev I get what sounds like a clicking sound toward the front of the bike. I dont know ANYTHING about bikes but if it were a car I would say a lifter sound...How do I check the oil level? When I start it the sight glass empties and then when warm it fills back up? Any thoughts?

hawxter996 04-26-2011 08:59 AM

check your oil level when cold with the bike in level riding position.

hawxter996 04-26-2011 09:01 AM

if it sounds like a bunch of ball bearings in a can,it may be tensioner.
our bike does make a bit of noise though.

newbierider77 04-26-2011 09:23 AM

No its more of a clicking.

hawxter996 04-26-2011 10:15 AM

can you post a video?

lukenukem47 04-26-2011 10:15 AM

Might be

Might be the valves. Earlier last month I took my bike to the Ducati dealer for a preseason inspection and asked about valve adjustment. The Ducati dealer said to me "clicking or loud taping noise consistence with the revving is a sign of the valves needing adjustment". I didn't need anything done but it was good peace of mind.

newbierider77 04-26-2011 10:25 AM

Damn I'm hoping its something simple..I dont want to dump $ into a bike with a rebuilt title I wont get back! I'll try and get a video up..

newbierider77 04-26-2011 11:00 AM

Engine noise

1 Attachment(s)
Tried to take a video but cant hear the noise over the Jardine pipes.. Noticed a few drips of antifreeze out of a drain tube while doing the vid...What is this? Temp was only 160? Pic.

8541Hawk 04-26-2011 11:07 AM

Does it just do it at idle or throughout the rev range?

Without hearing it the noise could also be an exhaust leak or just the carb slides bouncing around.

Also with .012" clearance on the exhaust valves, they can "tick" a bit also, Does it do it more when it is cold or when it is hot?

To check the oil level the bike needs to be not running and should be between the lines on the sight glass.

newbierider77 04-26-2011 11:13 AM

Only makes the noise over like 150 degrees? When its cold it sounds great. It stays thru all rpms...

lukenukem47 04-26-2011 11:14 AM

We are are guessing here, take it to a dealer or get a experienced guy over. To prevent more damage stop running it. If lashing is needed that is not too expensive and can be done at home. If it's major I have a all stock running motor about to be up for grabs.

VTRsurfer 04-26-2011 11:43 AM

If it's only doing it when warm, it's very likely a loose valve (too much lash). But like 8541Hawk said, a slight exhaust leak can sound just like a loose valve.

With it running and warm, use a long bladed screwdriver (2' or so) to isolate the noise. Put the tip of the screwdriver blade on the valve cover. It acts like a stethoscope with your ear pressed to the end of the handle.

newbierider77 04-26-2011 11:56 AM

Is a loose valve an expensive fix? I dont want to dump $ into this bike...

VTRsurfer 04-26-2011 12:06 PM

The terms "loose valves" and "tight valves" refer to valve adjustment. It would mean you need a valve adjustment. Having a loose valve is better than having a tight valve, which you would not hear. And a tight valve will cause the valve to burn.

If you don't have a somewhat high level of mechanical skills, shim type adjustment (which our bikes have) is best left to a qualified technician. But even if you take it to a shop, get some references first. There are a lot of hacks out there charging $50 to $85 an hour for lousy work.

Little_Horse 04-26-2011 12:13 PM

most places want $300-$500 for valve adjustments on the super. Cheapest method is to find someone nearby who know their hawk well and trade beer for help :D

hawxter996 04-26-2011 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
leak at red circle?
if so water pumps seal.

lukenukem47 04-26-2011 01:33 PM

When was the last oil change? do you have mcc't? might be a leak from the combustion chamber to the water jacket. This could be the cause of leak, as for heaing a taping sound that is the puzzing part. or Bad water pump, before the bike get up to 160 the thero doesnt open putting more presure on the pump causing it to keeping quite. but once the presure is released the pump makes noise. these are all guesses. Your going to need someone to dig into it before it gets worst or drive it until whats making the noise flys out the side of your engine. JK, dont do that.

nath981 04-26-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Little_Horse (Post 300485)
most places want $300-$500 for valve adjustments on the super. Cheapest method is to find someone nearby who know their hawk well and trade beer for help :D

+1 and if this area is indicative of others, even the dealers use "Hot Cams" shim sets which are not typically specific enough to even up all your valves, so you are likely to end up with some 1 over spec, some 1 under spec, and maybe some right on, which IMO sucks when you're paying big bucks to get it done.

If you do it right, valve adjustment could be a 20-30 thous+ maintenance item, or it could be 5-10 thous if one or more is set at one under spec. Hope you can find someone in your area to help you. There are threads herein that can assist someone with a little mechanical ability.

VTRsurfer 04-26-2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by lukenukem47 (Post 300493)
before the bike get up to 160 the thero doesnt open putting more presure on the pump causing it to keeping quite. but once the presure is released the pump makes noise.

Wrong...The pressure cap, not the thermostat, determines cooling system pressure. If coolant is coming out of the water pump vent hole, the seal is bad. You need to pull the clutch cover, then new seals need to be properly pressed in.

And the screwdriver method I mentioned above will help locate the source of the noise. It can be used on the water pump as well.

Good thing our bikes don't have a dry clutch.:eek:

AngryOlaf 04-26-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 300519)
Good thing our bikes don't have a dry clutch.:eek:

But that could mask most of the other quirky sounds coming out of our bikes, which would save so much stress and second-guessing! :D

nath981 04-27-2011 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by AngryOlaf (Post 300528)
But that could mask most of the other quirky sounds coming out of our bikes, which would save so much stress and second-guessing! :D

eliminate a lot of the stress and second guessing by replacing or adjusting the CCTs, checking valve adjustment, TPS, and basic carb settings, filters, fluids, and plugs, RR, etc., so that you have a good idea of what you have and what you might be dealing with in the future. Not a good idea to just ride it and wait to find out what's gonna happen the hard way.

Post your location to find out if someone nearby is willing to help you.

newbierider77 04-27-2011 07:46 AM

I am in in Seattle/Renton Wa.

AngryOlaf 04-27-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 300564)
eliminate a lot of the stress and second guessing by replacing or adjusting the CCTs, checking valve adjustment, TPS, and basic carb settings, filters, fluids, and plugs, RR, etc., so that you have a good idea of what you have and what you might be dealing with in the future. Not a good idea to just ride it and wait to find out what's gonna happen the hard way.

Post your location to find out if someone nearby is willing to help you.

Agreed... I would hope no one took my last post to be anything even remotely like advice.

newbierider77 04-27-2011 08:43 AM

Coolant drip

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the hose that drips..It is literally only a few drips tho? Have been tracking down a battery drain also so I have started her a few times..She is dying when I put her into gear now????

hawxter996 04-27-2011 08:47 AM

yerp water pump seal is bad

newbierider77 04-27-2011 08:52 AM

Expensive?

hawxter996 04-27-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by newbierider77 (Post 300592)
Expensive?

not sure on price of seals,labor is what usually gets you.
save some labor by removing cover yourself and take to local shop.
should be under 1 hour labor.

ranchomice 04-27-2011 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by newbierider77 (Post 300443)
Thanks for all the advise you guys have given me. Ive got a new question. So I havent really ridden this bike yet, still going over everything. So when I start her up she sounds great nice and smooth. After she gets warm, and I give it a little rev I get what sounds like a clicking sound toward the front of the bike. I dont know ANYTHING about bikes but if it were a car I would say a lifter sound...How do I check the oil level? When I start it the sight glass empties and then when warm it fills back up? Any thoughts?

These bikes do make a bit of noise. The carb slides opening and closing at certain rpm's make a "clacking" kind of noise. The bike has a lot of "character", which comes with a certain amount of noises. As someone who has suffered chatastrophic failure, I hear everything! When mine failed however, there was knocking in the front cylinder just prior.Hell, I hear things that aren't even there!! If you don't have manual tensioners, check it, or have it checked by someone who KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING. If you do have manual tensioners, they may need adjustment. I've met up with two other people who have hawks to "compare", they all make some noise.

ranchomice 04-27-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by hawxter996 (Post 300446)
check your oil level when cold with the bike in level riding position.

+1

newbierider77 04-29-2011 10:59 AM

So I've got an update..Putted my bike around today..Put about 3 miles on it, not wanting to cause any damage...The clicking noise went away?? came back a time or two but for the most part its gone...Does anyone think that it may have been caused by the shitty gas that was in her that was just burning out?? No weeping either..Any thoughts?