SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   problem starting after gas tank removal (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/problem-starting-after-gas-tank-removal-25311/)

mikayelstylee 04-22-2011 03:24 PM

problem starting after gas tank removal

I removed the gas tank to have it painted. I reinstalled everything as it was before the tank was removed. The bike started initially and bogged down after about 30 seconds. Now it's turning over but just not starting. It sounds like the petcock is off but the valve is open. I do not have a vacuum hose from the back of the petcock but I didn't before I removed the tank either. I have a suspicion the vacuum hose is to blame but I'm not certain since I've never had one and have never had this issue. Any thoughts?

lazn 04-22-2011 03:53 PM

The vacuum hose needs to be connected to the back of the petcock not the bottom.

search for PVLIR on this forum, it is so common it has it's own acronym.

RWhisen 04-22-2011 05:42 PM

Another victim of PVLIR

fred 04-22-2011 05:51 PM

one more thing to double-check. the petcock on/off indication labels are ass-backwards in my opinion. to me, the petcock is open when the labeling implies that it is in the closed position and vise-versa.

i actually stopped closing it when i remove the tank, due to the hurt it would later put on my brain. if i leave it open and note that, then i don't have to worry about the Honda petcock riddle labels. and gas won't spill out when it is left open if the petcock is in good working order, since the system requires vacuum in order to pull gas.

NooB 04-22-2011 07:26 PM

:popcorn:

mikayelstylee 04-23-2011 08:04 PM

where to attach vacuum hose

So I know the vacuum hose attaches to the back of the petcock but then where to

Hawkrider 04-23-2011 09:18 PM

Look behind the left frame rail. Sometimes it hides there. It goes to a port next to the rear carb inlet.

lukenukem47 04-23-2011 09:56 PM

Great

Omg, I will be pulling my hair out in the near future. My project hawk is a "from scratch" build up. It's little stuff like this that has me worried. I'm tearing down two bikes to make one extremely nice one. I will be pissed if I'm without a bike this summer.

mikayelstylee 04-29-2011 05:22 PM

thank you hawkrider

Hawkrider 04-29-2011 08:10 PM

I take it you found the problem?

mikayelstylee 05-02-2011 03:49 PM

Actually I did not. I still have not figured out where the vacuum hose attaches to motor. Any suggestions?

mikayelstylee 05-02-2011 04:20 PM

I did read that it attaches to the rear cylinder to a connection like the one you use to tune the carbs but I cannot find any schematic with that diagram

lazn 05-03-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mikayelstylee (Post 301303)
Actually I did not. I still have not figured out where the vacuum hose attaches to motor. Any suggestions?

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-manual-11365/

8541Hawk 05-03-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by mikayelstylee (Post 301303)

It hooks to #7 :Honda, ATV Parts, Scooter Parts, Motorcycle Parts,CRF,CR,MX Parts, Goldwing parts

Which is opposite of the CCT on the front cyl. ;)

mikayelstylee 05-06-2011 04:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. Turned out it was an easy solution. Hawks flying with a fresh new paint job.

CrankenFine 05-06-2011 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by fred (Post 299993)
one more thing to double-check. the petcock on/off indication labels are ass-backwards in my opinion. to me, the petcock is open when the labeling implies that it is in the closed position and vise-versa.

i actually stopped closing it when i remove the tank, due to the hurt it would later put on my brain. if i leave it open and note that, then i don't have to worry about the Honda petcock riddle labels. and gas won't spill out when it is left open if the petcock is in good working order, since the system requires vacuum in order to pull gas.

I used a couple small dabs of red nail polish to index the open position, because i suffered the same confusion about open and shut. The vacuum hose connection to the REAR of the petcock is it's own separate PITA. I am going to splice the vacuum hose with an inline fitting so I never have to disconnect it again from the REAR of the petcock.

VTRsurfer 05-06-2011 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 301856)
The vacuum hose connection to the REAR of the petcock is it's own separate PITA. I am going to splice the vacuum hose with an inline fitting so I never have to disconnect it again from the REAR of the petcock.

Do as Greg (Hawkrider) suggests on his website for carb sync set-up. Cut the vacuum line under the left rear of the tank, between the tank and the frame in front of the seat, then put a 5/32" vacuum "T" fitting in the line and cap the 3rd opening of the T with a vacuum cap. You now have an easy disconnect and, after removing the vacuum cap, a vacuum connection to the front intake manifold for carb sync.

Tweety 05-07-2011 12:31 AM

Or do like I did... Take the freakin petcock and cut the lower nipple off, it can still vent, and now the emount of nipples and hoses match each other... That works fine for me... ;)