Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Please help again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Squid

MarkGnarsby is on a distinguished road
Please help again!

Well i just recently picked up my 98 Superhawk. Big investment for a 17 year old working minimum wage and still in high school and im starting to think that this bike is going to be a bunch of head aches... First time i took it out was the other day and i got down the street and it died. After posting on here and getting very helpful replies i did what they said and replaced the main fuse and the regulator. Just installed the regulator and fuse today and it fired up. (boy was i excited.) so i put it back together and hopped on and when i put the stand up and kicked it in gear, it stalled... The kick stand light wasn't on but it acted as if it were still down... What could have caused this?
Replies are much appreciated. I very much enjoyed the power wheelies this thing can do so i would really like to keep it but i don't want to if stuff like this is gonna keep happening...
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Check & clean the connection on the sidestand.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MarkGnarsby
Well i just recently picked up my 98 Superhawk. Big investment for a 17 year old working minimum wage and still in high school .
Hold da phone - Ur 17 yrs old & this is ur 1st moto?

Please don't take this wrong but thats alot of moto for a 1st timer.

If you have not taken a MSF course please do so, I think U want to make it to 18.

Be Safe & Respect the monster power of this fine VTwin.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, its just the kickstand switch, check that its connected.

And yeah, ALWAYS respect the bike and how quickly it can alter or take your life. Always ride paranoid. When in doubt, DONT. (like, "should I pull out in front of this oncoming vehicle?"..... the answer is NO).

Always scan, look where you want to go(the clear road not the bumper). No one sees you ever so ride accordingly. Tap your horn to help with invisibility. Dont act like you are in a car. Your only protection is awareness, not steel.

Play any game in a way that lets you keep playing. Getting to your destination is how you defining winning.

Oh, and always cover and disc lock you bike.

That is all for now. Good riding. Do you have an armored jacket? ALWAYS wear one, its better to sweat than bleed & break.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Squid

Thanks guys im gonna start taking appart the kick stand and checking that over see if that helps me appreciate the help! Also i appreciate the concerns but I've been on a motorcycle since i was 16 and I've been riding Dirt bikes since i was 8 so i have a pretty good understanding of respecting the bike.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys im gonna start taking appart the kick stand and checking that over see if that helps me appreciate the help! Also i appreciate the concerns but I've been on a motorcycle since i was 16 and I've been riding Dirt bikes since i was 8 so i have a pretty good understanding of respecting the bike.
Well... No... You most certainly don't... It really doesn't matter what you reply to this... You really, really don't... It's a fact, not a point of dicussion... I'm not trying to be the old stuffy guy here either... The simple fact is that since you are saying you do, you are proving you aren't... Makes sense?

A dirtbike is fast, and you can really, really get hurt on one... A streetbike is another thing altogether... Especially a 100+ hp sportbike... Yeah, I know the VTR is "old" and "slow" compared to all the newer crop if bikes... But it's also "oldschool" in so much as if you chop the throttle or open it to abruptly, it will fling you at the scenery in a way that most big inline fours can't manage... It has more grunt than most bikes, and a couple of extra pounds compared to a newer bike... It can quite literally give you a birds eye view of things if you disrespect it...

It might seem silky smooth as you drive it normally, but poke it with a stick and it fights back... It's more than capable of exceeding the level of grip on the rear wheel at any speed, doesn't matter if you are going straight or in a corner... It's not a good first bike at all... It's a very good second bike though...

Again, not trying to be condescending... Do an MSF course... It will make you a better rider, even if you are a good one already...
Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
If I were still 17, I WOULD NEVER PURCHASE A 996cc BIKE EVER EVER EVER...PLEASE BE SAFE...OHH YEAH..

Search:

1. Hawk Carb Setup Guide
2. Carb Sync Guide
3. TPS reset Guide
4. R/R replacement guide.
5. OEM 2 MCCT replacement guide.

That should get you started. It's better you work on the bike and learn rather than kill yourself on a perfectly working vehicle. The GENERIC male your age is tooooooooo young for a liter bike, that is my honest opinion. Don't kill yourself before you get LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS of some vagina.......be carful bro. Yeah my first bike was a superhawk, but I'm getting old (30)......at 17....wow....at 24.......wow...yeah I was still an EPIC DUMBASS...please for the love of god be carful.

P.S. The Superhawk is my first bike ever. But I am a nerdy 30 year old with no desire to die and no desire for speed.......Please man be carfull. I have read enough crash stories and <crosses fingers> I hope to never be one of them.

@ 17 the speed you are accessible to compared to even ...say a "2003 Ford Supercharged Cobra"..........You are able to easily kill yourself...man just be mature, be responsible, be realistic and DON'T do ANYTHING STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This bike is fast, even for 1998 it will RAPE most exotic sports cars on the road.

Last edited by WhOrD; 03-15-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 PM
MotoGP

+1 on Tweety
Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
+1 on Tweety
+1 everything we've said. Ahh i feel a R.I.P in the making.. this kid better watch his ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
MotoGP

BTW, for reference... I have been riding dirt bikes since I was about 7-8, still do... And I have been riding on the street for more years than you have been alive... The thought of me being on a 100+ HP bike at the age of 17, scares the living daylights out of me... I would have been dead in a week... And mind you, I got my racing license at 16, riding a fairly souped up 600 on the track, when I couldn't legally drive more than a 125cc bike on the road... It would still have been a phenomenally bad idea...

I started riding a 125cc bike pretty much as my daily transport when I was 16, moved up to a 250cc at 18, as the maximum mandated by the rules here in Sweden... And at 21, I got the open field to choose any size of bike, 1000-1200-1500... I still opted for a measly 500 for a year, then a 600, and then a 1000... With a whole lot after and in between the 600 and 1000...
Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Lets face it one can just as easily kill or injure themselves on any bike. The majority of accidents are not at high speeds anyway. Lets not frighten the poor fella, yeh make him aware and give some advice.

The biggest differance from riding a dirtbike (I presume off road) is that most crashes are a reasonably soft landing. No concrete street furniture or other vehicles. The biggest difference and dangers on the roads are not the power of the bike, but the other road users. What he does need to learn, which will only come with experience is keep a safe braking distance, keep a good distance behind larger vehicles and have a good sense of judgement versus speed. ie will I make this overtake, have I got enough stopping distance etc. then there is the rider instinct that comes from experience as to what another road user is going to do. Is that vehicle going to pull out or not. That vehicle is indicating to do either a left or right turn but is his/her road position suggesting otherwise etc etc.

Just take it easy to begin with, over time you will build more confidence and get to know the bike, but don't get too throttle happy and respect the power and capabilities of the bike.

Anyway back to your question
when i put the stand up and kicked it in gear, it stalled... The kick stand light wasn't on but it acted as if it were still down... What could have caused this?
You may want to check the clutch switch. The bike has a safety cut out so you don't accidentally start the bike while in gear. It's the same principle as the side stand switch, so you may want to check the electrical connectors by the clutch lever just under the reservoir, two spade connectors.

(:-})
Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Squid

[QUOTE=cybercarl;350871]Lets face it one can just as easily kill or injure themselves on any bike. The majority of accidents are not at high speeds anyway. Lets not frighten the poor fella, yeh make him aware and give some advice.

This guy has the right idea... Just because I'm 17 doesn't mean I'm an idiot. This isn't my first bike nor is it the first big bike I've ridden. He said it most accidents on motorcycles are from stupid drivers not paying attention to motorcyclist. I don't plan on doing 100+ every where i go maybe once just to try it and maybe a wheelie here and there but how many of you "older and responsible" riders give the throttle a little crack here and there to get it going?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Squid

On a more serious note... Being this is in the Technical Discussion. Wouldn't the sidestand light still be on if the bike was registering it as down causing it to stall when slapped into gear?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 PM
MotoGP

Yeah it should be but if it never goes on then bulbs do blow and all evidence leads to the bike thinking its down. At the least you will have to trace it and figure it out. Even if you defeat it altogether it will require mucking your tweeting fingers up.

Oh yeah, its funny but I actually started in on my resume like tweety then deleted it. Suffice to say I too started on upstate NY dirtbikes, got my street license at 16 and now have been racing for 14yrs and have won expert championships roadracing. So at least you're being "warned" (wrong word) by some serious riders.

No matter what age be paranoid.

And I disagree that lightwieght dirtbikes are as dangerous as a big vtwin sportbike like the hawk. You just cant compare mudripping to 0-100 in a few seconds on surface streets in traffic. (especially where I live).

You'd throw your 10yr old on a dirtbike but what parent would put him on a streetgoing superbike? Question answered.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cybercarl
Lets face it one can just as easily kill or injure themselves on any bike. The majority of accidents are not at high speeds anyway. Lets not frighten the poor fella, yeh make him aware and give some advice.
This guy has the right idea... Just because I'm 17 doesn't mean I'm an idiot. This isn't my first bike nor is it the first big bike I've ridden. He said it most accidents on motorcycles are from stupid drivers not paying attention to motorcyclist. I don't plan on doing 100+ every where i go maybe once just to try it and maybe a wheelie here and there but how many of you "older and responsible" riders give the throttle a little crack here and there to get it going?
Yeah, I crack the throttle... Not denying that... And yes, a large part of accidents happen because of innatentive other drivers... But... Sorry, to say, a lot of accidents with young and new riders are pure single accidents... No others involved at all...

The percentage of single accidents on a new rider, regardless of age is miles higher than on someone like me or other here that have a few years riding... On the other hand, statistics say that when we do get in an accident, it's usually bad, since we tend to carry more speed when we muck it up...

Basically my point is, even if you do understand the dangers, and respect the bike, and have a fighting chance in traffic... You lack one component, and it can be ablsoutely lethal...

On a dirtbike, you can just find a quiet sandpit, with company if you're smart, and test the limits of the bike and yourself, and know how it reacts on the limit, know what happens if you need to avoid an obstacle...

With a sportbike capable of 100+ mph with the flick of a wrist, that's not an option really... You can't find out where the limits are by circling a parking lot... And with the bike you have chosen, which like I said might not be a best first bike, since it's less forgiving of mistakes than a smaller bike would be, this can very quickly be a big problem in traffic... Because when you find yourself going to hot into a corner, or whatever, all you have to rely on is instincts, and in most cases they lie to you, as they aren't meant for riding bikes, but for hunting and gathering...

So, not trying to scare you... I'm back to the training part... If you do an MSF course, you get to push your boundaries a little... Not quite to the point you could on the dirtbike, but enough so that you have a set of tools to use when you find yourself in trouble on the bike... It helps, trust me...

For fault finding... Download and print this schematic, it's a bit easier to read than the one you can find in the service manual, as it's colored...

http://tweety.se/download.php?file=V..._Superhawk.jpg

also, you can find the service manual here... *Tweety's Wild Thinking

it's very usefull...

Last edited by Tweety; 03-16-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

Hey Marc, sorry for the earfull but we are just giving our view from this side of a couple decades (or more) of riding from where you stand now.

If you make the journey you may be cautioning a newcomer in 25-30yrs from now. Its pretty cheap for the knowledge.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Squid

limey git is on a distinguished road
now you may help me

i have a 98 hawk, great bike. last time i tried to start it, the same thing happened to me. turned over then the lights went out.i checked every thing i could find in the book and all parts come up good.after seeing your problem i tried checking voltage and continuity on the r n r, that came up good as well.i just want to know if you got yours sorted out before i try the same fix.
i am new to this site but what i see looks like a helpful bunch of hawk fans, hope some one can help me, i really miss my bike.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:27 PM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
17 year old should be pedaling a bike, see the world at a slower pace, learn the potential hazzards of the roads while pedaling or surrounded in a cage.

I don't know why your parents allow you to have a motorcycle to ride on public roads for you have less than 18 months of driving experience that would teach you how to respond to stupid driving in a cage with less risk of getting yourself killed.

Sure you may know how to ride a dirt bike, that doesn't mean you know how to avoid a drunk driver on the road... and not just the drunks... how many divers can you count are talking or texting every time you stop at a red light?

Last edited by cat0020; 03-26-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
meh, I probably would have killed myself at age 17 if I had a motorcycle...BUT...I know lots of people who at age 17 were pretty mature and reasonable and would have been perfectly fine.

Actually one of my friends rode from the age of 16 and he's still riding today....alarmism not withstanding...welcome to the forum and best of luck getting the bike's issues sorted out.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Squid

i started riding at 16, was nearly killed at 19.lucky to have two legs now.
of course it wasnt my fault, i just knew i was invincible.
now, who can help with my dead bike problem?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM
MotoGP

It wasnt your fault? Whos hands were on the bars?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by limey git
now, who can help with my dead bike problem?
What's the voltage of the bike sitting? What's it sound like... does it crank or click or nothing?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
On a more serious note... Being this is in the Technical Discussion. Wouldn't the sidestand light still be on if the bike was registering it as down causing it to stall when slapped into gear?

Hey Mark - just be safe.

Not sure if U know (U probably do, since @ ur age I knew it all too)

But a teenagers brain is going through so many changes, that they sometimes make bad decisions.

Kinda like this

18-year-old Long Island lacrosse star hit by train as he crosses tracks on a dare - NYPOST.com

Be Safe
Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Squid

tell me smokeyjoe, have you ever rounded a blind bend in the road and found yourself face to face with an over taking car?
but to get to my bike. itried to start it, it turned over then all the lights went out.i checked all components i could think of as the book explains and all seem to be in order. ithought it might be the regulator as it was with our young friend here, but that tested good too.
i am lost with electrics and would appreciate any suggestions.
no lights sounds or action.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM
MotoGP

You checked the ground from battery to frame? Sounds like something simple. RR only functions with bike running. You checked voltage sitting? Connections to ignition switch? Plugs to the dash? Should be one of those things.

Hey marknarsby, you ever get yours going? Didnt you start this crazy thread? Did you give up on the forum? Are you tweeting?

Limey, with like 280K year round NYC miles, yeah, I've had everything happen, hit by cabs, busses, trucks, bicyclists, ridden in snow(alot). Raced 13yrs.

It was your fault. (or whoevers hands were on the bars)

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 03-28-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:23 AM
Squid

checked all those things but will try again. bike will not start so cannot check regulator.
voltage is good until turning key to on position then it drops like a rock, does that help ?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 AM
MotoGP

So to me that means either cooked battery that is not really holding a charge, or that in combination with a short to ground. Meaning one of your hot (+) wires are worn through and making frame contact.

This would short your system immediately in on position. You gotta trace some wires or even unplug stuff like lights, etc till it doesnt happen. A shop would probly do continutiy tests on the various circuits to find the closed loop.

Again, its probly one simple thing, you just gotta find it. Like wires melted together or the like.

Was the bike crashed or worked on recently? That can wear wires down. Also have you tried a diff battery? At least disconnect all the lights and check dash wires.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 03-30-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Squid

got a bad feeling my name will soon be up for dummy of the year award, i confess to being electrically incompetent.
your overdone battery theory might be bang on joe, with a charger connected there is light and an attempt to start. it just doesnt get beyond the relay clicking like fred and ginger. any more ideas?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:36 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by limey git
got a bad feeling my name will soon be up for dummy of the year award, i confess to being electrically incompetent.
your overdone battery theory might be bang on joe, with a charger connected there is light and an attempt to start. it just doesnt get beyond the relay clicking like fred and ginger. any more ideas?
Never ever jumpstart from a running car... It's not a good idea at all on a bike... A car battery is big enough, and have plenty enough juice that you can easily and safely jump the bike with the car switched off, and then start the car like normal, and it will re-charge the lost amount in no time, with no problems starting it, unless you keep going 10 plus attempts... But jumping the bike with the car running, is usually a good way to buying a new battery pretty soon...

Another way to fry the battery, is with a R/R that puts out a too high charge voltage... About as common as too low, and results in the exact symptoms you mention...

The long and the short... Take the battery, and put it through a good cycle on the charger... If it still does the voltage dive after that, when you try to start it with no charger connected, it's toast...
Old 03-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Squid

ok, it looks like a new battery and new reg/ rect. taking power directly to the starter motor does not turn it, does this mean a new starter too?

Quick Reply: Please help again!