Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Over heating 98 VTR1000

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
I rode the SH again yesterday, and it's still overheating. I rode about 7 miles in stop and go traffic to meet friends for lunch, and just as I was arriving, my back tire was coated in coolant.

So I thought maybe it was from overfilling the overflow bottle, and purging a little bit. It cooled for an hour or so while we ate, and then on the ride home it got up to the bottom of the red on the gauge, and just a little farther. Even when I got the bike moving and 35-40, it didn't want to cool down, dropping only to the edge of the red and pretty much staying there until I shut it off at home.

I'm going to start with a radiator flush, new coolant, and a fan switch.
Any other (good) advice is welcome. Poor advice is tolerated.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
If you think you have an air pocket in the cooling system, I have seen a guy tether his bike to an I-Beam his garage with nylon straps and a come-a-long, flip the kickstand up, slowly let the bike down on it's left side (laying it over, without the side of the bike touching the ground), jack the bike back up, then let it down on the right side. It looked goofy man, but it actually burped the system and had no more overheating.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Nothing againt ingenuity, but I promise this bike was designed with tons or R & D money and Honda has made more than one funtional bike.

No way do you need to resort to crazy and dangerous bike lofting.

What exactly have you done so far? Rad flush? Purple ice(coolant addative)? New coolant mix? New radiator cap? Wash the rads?

You should list what you have done to fix the issue.

Is your fan coming on? Use white out to put marks all round the fan so you can see if its moving or not. (not while riding its very dangerous)
Old 06-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

shadow623_ is on a distinguished road
crux thats crazy haha i just bought a new coolant temp sensor 85*c ive heard alot especially with our bikes motor swaps should include new sensors ive noticed by speedo is off by 10mph over 40 too.. so i got the new temp sensor just waiting for it in the mails. also ordered me some bike stands to whoop!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 PM
MotoGP

Shadow are you talking temp sensor (on thermostat housing) or fan switch (on radiator).

One turns the fan on (maybe at 85C if thats what you got) and one signals the temp guage.

FYI, the 85* switch will have your fan running enuff to beat up your battery pretty badly in the summer. Thats only 185F and the stocker waits til 212. Lots of difference.

I mention it cuz I tried that one and my battery couldnt cope.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
No way do you need to resort to crazy and dangerous bike lofting.
Was just telling him something I saw once that worked for that particular problem. That was all. Dangerous? I don't think so...unless you're a putz and drop the bike The tires never leave the ground. The bike just goes through the motions of what a bike does on the street, but it's taken just a little bit further. Lay over to the left, lay over to the right. That's it.

I do agree with you though. These bikes and many Honda's before them had a lot of R & D and most likely won't have an issue with an air pocket in the cooling system. An air pocket is probably not the issue.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

smokin joe its the switch and the guy said a 85*c at the shop said it should be okay.. hopefully it wont hurt it i upgraded to a R1 R/R or atleast i thought it was. the R/R i got is like 3 times the size of the one that was aftermarket already on there. im hoping it will switch my fan on earlier.. if it does i might downgrade to a 90 or 95*c
Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

your down in the city city though lmao im upstate my city is pretty small and my fan doesnt reach peak temp very often. only when im sitting in the city for a long time. typically i ride on the highway or on long back roads.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 PM
MotoGP

Yeah shadow, you upstaters dont have it near as bad. Give it a try it may be fine, just be sure to post on here after your first push-start.

I wound up going back to a 100* switch to balance between too hot motor and too much fan running.

Does your fan not come on at all now? If not then that is the problem.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

Crux, that bike was not a hawk right? One nice thing about this bike is that the cooling system doesnt have weird places for much air. The rad cap is the highest point.

And yeah that bike tilting is wacky, whats next, horseless cariages, flying machines and see-ment ponds?

I should talk, to do my motor swap I lifted the whole bike up and rolled out the motor.

And DONT make me tell the story of my bike being stranded on the 2nd floor after a garage fire. I tied rope onto the bumper of a car (on the 2nd floor) and lowered the bike down a burnt out stairwell (with me on it!).

Stupid Brooklyn ghetto garage. Had a crack head living in it who started the fire.

But thats me. You cant go recommending that to civilians.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

my bike fan will only run when i turn my bike off and flip my ignition once or twice. i have never heard it come on when it is continually running.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 PM
MotoGP

Hmmm, can't hear the electric fan over the rumbling v twin?

So that brings me back to my other post about painting some white-out blocks on the edge of the fan to see if its moving.

You need to paint big blocks the full circumfrence. Then you can see at a glance if its still. If you see no blocks, its spinning.

And shadow lay off that Genesee cream ale, its clouding your thinking up there.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

lol no im telling you. whenever it hits the tip of the red im coming to a stop i stand up and look everytime i swear ive never once seen it turn on while my bike is on that is. as soon as i turn my bike off with the kill switch bam its on
Old 06-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Crux, that bike was not a hawk right? One nice thing about this bike is that the cooling system doesnt have weird places for much air. The rad cap is the highest point.

And yeah that bike tilting is wacky, whats next, horseless cariages, flying machines and see-ment ponds?

I should talk, to do my motor swap I lifted the whole bike up and rolled out the motor.

And DONT make me tell the story of my bike being stranded on the 2nd floor after a garage fire. I tied rope onto the bumper of a car (on the 2nd floor) and lowered the bike down a burnt out stairwell (with me on it!).

Stupid Brooklyn ghetto garage. Had a crack head living in it who started the fire.

But thats me. You cant go recommending that to civilians.
No, wasn't a Superhawk. It's been so long ago, I can't remember what motorcycle it actually was.

You were riding your Superhawk down a stairwell!? Now that takes some ***** Holy crap man
Remember in one of those Jason Bourne movies, where he kills that dude on the stairs, kicks him through the railing, and then rides him in the middle of the stairway right down to the floor while shooting another guy? Yeah, I just had a mental picture of you doing the same thing, but on your Superhawk haha
Old 06-17-2014, 09:45 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jswisc
Anybody know at what temp Honda says the fan should turn on?
Yep, it's a 100C switch (so 212F).

Brett... what did you hit the thesaurus button on my first post a few times and just enter what it gave you? And it looks like all of your 5 posts follow the same pattern... what are you up to? Why are you here? Can we figure out how to co-exist or is humanity doomed?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

now im even more disappointed. i started it tonight had a little white smoke. engine is burning oil or im leaking somewhere.. i put some oil in and she was fine. no oil spots on my tire or my bottom fairing that i can see ughh so frustrated!!!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shadow623_
now im even more disappointed. i started it tonight had a little white smoke. engine is burning oil or im leaking somewhere.. i put some oil in and she was fine. no oil spots on my tire or my bottom fairing that i can see ughh so frustrated!!!
It's kind of archaic to diagnose by smoke color.... But white smoke is mostly associated with coolant burning in the combustion chamber accompanied by a sweet sickly smell in the exhaust.

Blue smoke is associated with oil burning.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

its not blue its deff like a real faint white. motor just swapped recently by a shop i checked the oil and didnt look like much was in there. i put the bike straight up and down and check the little circle under the crank case and didnt see much to no oil in there. put in about a 1/2 quart of oil in and it and put it straight back up and i saw a little more. so i put a full quart in and it filled it about 3/4 of the way. correct steps taken?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

maybe i was over reacting about the smoke.. it didnt do it today. i adjusted my idle its about 1200 now. efore was only like 900 when i got the bike back. my fan switch will be here friday hopefully that will solve the overheating issues.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
When I got my Hawk the fan didnt run. Turns out there was a bad power feed to the fan from the fusebox. I ran a switched feed to it and it works perfectly.

I would try running a feed to the fan from you battery external of the bike to test this as an intermittent or low current fault will be hard to find. So run a powered wire to the fan and let the bike idle up to temp. Just above half way it should come on.

From what you have said the bike has come apart so it would be easy for there to be wiring damage.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

i ordered a lower temp sensor. runs easier then previously but still not running. NZ ill check into it.. from what i can see everything is fine and the guy who did the swap said everything looked golden. just to buy a lower temp sensor. so idk
Old 06-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

oaky guys so my fan works just fine i have found out. the problem is when im riding it doesnt turn on. it will stay on all day and night when the motor is off. but once the motor is on the fan stays on for a maximum for 20 seconds. and that whole smoking thing went away. the bike runs like a dream i am so happy. just need to get the fan fixed and ill be golden.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 PM
MotoGP

Not sure if you are reading the responses but NZ just mentioned that it most likely is a power supply issue. If the fan does work, it stands to reason its not getting power.

The fan should not be running when the bike is off anyway so something is awry. Trace the wiring to see if its stock but you could just run a wire from fan switch to ground and from fan to power.

This way the fan switch will close when hot and ground the fan to turn it on.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

Not sure if you are reading the responses but NZ just mentioned that it most likely is a power supply issue. If the fan does work, it stands to reason its not getting power.

The fan should not be running when the bike is off anyway so something is awry. Trace the wiring to see if its stock but you could just run a wire from fan switch to ground and from fan to power.

This way the fan switch will close when hot and ground the fan to turn it on.

Ok so I looked at the wiring it all is stock and looka fine. Should my entire radiator on the RIGHT side be hot to touch? Only the bottom is really hot the top doesnt get very warm. Dont know if this si something to look at. The thermostat is opening and closing I tested it. The left radiator top akd bottom is hot to touch
Old 06-22-2014, 04:03 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shadow623_
Ok so I looked at the wiring it all is stock and looka fine. Should my entire radiator on the RIGHT side be hot to touch? Only the bottom is really hot the top doesnt get very warm. Dont know if this si something to look at. The thermostat is opening and closing I tested it. The left radiator top akd bottom is hot to touch
Could be a huge air bubble or blockage. I hate problems like this. Often times its accumulative multiple issues
Old 06-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
When I got my Hawk the fan didnt run. Turns out there was a bad power feed to the fan from the fusebox. I ran a switched feed to it and it works perfectly.

I would try running a feed to the fan from you battery external of the bike to test this as an intermittent or low current fault will be hard to find. So run a powered wire to the fan and let the bike idle up to temp. Just above half way it should come on.

From what you have said the bike has come apart so it would be easy for there to be wiring damage.

How does one do this? I dont quite understand what your saying
Old 06-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

Originally Posted by jerryh
Could be a huge air bubble or blockage. I hate problems like this. Often times its accumulative multiple issues
I think it coupd be from not enough coolant to though. The overflow bottle is full since I filled it last. But as stated the rad on the right is only hot to touch on the bottom
Old 06-22-2014, 04:10 PM
MotoGP

You really need to remove the radiator cap on the righ radiator and add 50/50 mix of antifreeze and DISTILLED water til its full. That may solve every problem you are having.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

Okay
Old 06-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Newbie to the *****
Back Marker

Ill do that right meow

Quick Reply: Over heating 98 VTR1000