SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   ok ,,so i got stock needles and jets ,,,,,,,,, (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/ok-so-i-got-stock-needles-jets-18153/)

dickard37 04-07-2009 03:47 PM

ok ,,so i got stock needles and jets ,,,,,,,,,

my question is ,,, if i were to shim the needles ,do i just add a washer to the needle and thats it ? that would bring the needle UP ,,correct ??? there's already a washer there ,should i leave it and just double up washers ??? I know i'm looking to hard at this ,I know it's simple or so you say ,,i tend to think about things too hard and start second guessing ,,grrrrrr :mad:

ahhh screw it ,,,what jet kits do you guys recommend ,it'll be a hella lot easier that way ................:thumbsup:

lazn 04-07-2009 03:50 PM

You can add a washer for a richer midrange, or replace the washer for somewhat less.. It depends on how much you need to richen it..

As for which jet kit, the Factory Pro one is considered easier to install and tune, but both it and the Dynojet are quality kits.

RK1 04-07-2009 04:22 PM

I've got the Dynojet kit and I'm happy with. I've got the Honda oem filter and street baffle cans. Don't know what you have. I settled on main jets pretty much equal to the stock ones. If I was starting with stock and knowing what I know now I'd probably just shim the needles and be happy.

nath981 04-07-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by dickard37 (Post 209354)
my question is ,,, if i were to shim the needles ,do i just add a washer to the needle and thats it ? that would bring the needle UP ,,correct ??? there's already a washer there ,should i leave it and just double up washers ??? I know i'm looking to hard at this ,I know it's simple or so you say ,,i tend to think about things too hard and start second guessing ,,grrrrrr :mad:

ahhh screw it ,,,what jet kits do you guys recommend ,it'll be a hella lot easier that way ................:thumbsup:

I don't think you posted enough info about your present set-up for us to provide an intelligent answer. What mods do you have? what do your plugs/pipes look like look like color wise? :confused:

996SSVTR 04-07-2009 05:29 PM

I was having problems with my carbs being set up right, and I spent about 12 hours trying to get it right but in the end I spent $280.00 and about 4 hours waiting on it while it was in the shop, then I was out riding again.

dickard37 04-07-2009 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 209368)
I don't think you posted enough info about your present set-up for us to provide an intelligent answer. What mods do you have? what do your plugs/pipes look like look like color wise? :confused:

sorry 'bout that ,,the only mods that i know of are ,two bros. carbon fiber pipes .The plugs were black sooty looking .My whole problem is ,I am getting that fart ,hic-up ,real bad even after i do a carb sync.

lazn 04-07-2009 06:46 PM

If the plugs are black and sooty, you are already too rich.. Adding a washer would likely make that worse.

At what RPM do you get the hiccup?

dickard37 04-07-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 209393)
If the plugs are black and sooty, you are already too rich.. Adding a washer would likely make that worse.

At what RPM do you get the hiccup?

any where from 2300 to 3000 ,but it's almost constant ,spit ,spit ,buck ,buck ,spit ,hic-up ,i'll have to pull the plugs again ,the last time was a couple months ago but they looked black ......

lazn 04-07-2009 07:20 PM

Easiest way to tell if you are running too rich is to pull the choke and see if it gets worse or better.. If it gets better you are running lean and if it gets worse you are running rich.

dickard37 04-07-2009 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 209398)
Easiest way to tell if you are running too rich is to pull the choke and see if it gets worse or better.. If it gets better you are running lean and if it gets worse you are running rich.

yeah i've done that too ,and it does get better ,the only problem with that ,the idle drops so low it almost stalls out ,,,

nath981 04-07-2009 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by dickard37 (Post 209381)
sorry 'bout that ,,the only mods that i know of are ,two bros. carbon fiber pipes .The plugs were black sooty looking .My whole problem is ,I am getting that fart ,hic-up ,real bad even after i do a carb sync.

I would definitely check the TPS and adjust to 500. Mine started that shit and that's all I did and it totally cured it. :)

lazn 04-07-2009 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by dickard37 (Post 209399)
yeah i've done that too ,and it does get better ,the only problem with that ,the idle drops so low it almost stalls out ,,,

It gets better but the idle drops? Weird. Normally choking it will increase idle.

Checking the TPS couldn't hurt. Be careful as it is delicate.

dickard37 04-07-2009 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 209408)
It gets better but the idle drops? Weird. Normally choking it will increase idle.

Checking the TPS couldn't hurt. Be careful as it is delicate.

i only pull it out a pee hair , i guess i'll check into the tps ....:(

skokievtr 04-07-2009 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 209400)
I would definitely check the TPS and adjust to 500. Mine started that shit and that's all I did and it totally cured it. :)

500 ohm is what the manual calls for but according to Greg... "there is an advantage of better throttle response to having the TPS set at a lower value (400-430 Ω), vice the normal 800-900Ω."

refer to

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...TPS+adjustment

I had mine at about 500 ohms for years but with my last carb cleaning I set it at 415 ohms. We'll see if it makes a difference.