SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   need a lil help (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/need-lil-help-23336/)

996Riders 07-30-2010 06:45 PM

need a lil help

Ive searched around but need help, I ordered sliders and cant figure how to install them ive searched but came across nothing about installing sliders, .. also how to bleed the rear brake would be great. searched the kb high and low Thank yall, :eek:

RWhisen 07-30-2010 07:02 PM

What kind of sliders did you buy?

Bleeding the rear brake is just like doing a car.
Hold a little pressure on the rear brake.
Recommend a tube on the bleeder valve to direct the flow into some sort of capture device.
Crack open bleeder valve on caliper.
Close bleeder valve.
Release pressure on brake.
Repeat until happy.
Don't let the master cylinder run dry.

996Riders 07-31-2010 10:53 AM

I bought these ( i know i should of just bit the bullet and got trex but I wanted to go this route. i work in a machine shop and im gonna take some dimensions and make some on the lathe.. but still need to install them any know how cant find any install threads and they came with no instructions.http://www.d2moto.com/p-4790-2006-20...e-sliders.aspx

Killemall 07-31-2010 11:06 AM

Man, it looks like those are for CBR1000, not for the VTR. Hmmm, place the plate next to the frame, and see if the holes align with 2 frame bolts. I doubt it.

996Riders 07-31-2010 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Killemall (Post 276156)
Man, it looks like those are for CBR1000, not for the VTR. Hmmm, place the plate next to the frame, and see if the holes align with 2 frame bolts. I doubt it.

Yea I knew that buying them they were for the 1000cbr but they look like they will fit and miss the fairing like i wanted just dont know the procedure to remove the engine mount bolts and nuts and how to put these on .. i work in a machine shop and i will modify them,, the real plan was to just get the adapter plates to fit and im going to mill my own sliders on lathe...:D

996Riders 07-31-2010 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Im not sure what your talking about so i took a couple pics.

lazn 08-01-2010 02:19 PM

Well the reason you want the right kit is that it comes with new engine bolts that are long enough for the job..

996Riders 08-01-2010 06:36 PM

Im still needing to know how to remove the old to do the new... anyone ? bolts can always be bought if needed? it came with a set.

NooB 08-01-2010 07:38 PM

Yep, you got the right idea. Pull those bolts out of each side and one should be longer than the other. You're hardware kit should have two different lengths of bolts. I can take a photo of mine if you'd like.

And get the best fluid you can, you only have to buy a small bottle. You can bleed the front and back a few times over with just a small bottle of fluid. I was corner working this weekend when someone hit a wall and had to get Life Flighted because they boiled the fluid in their front brakes. So don't skimp on fluid!!

RWhisen 08-01-2010 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by NooB (Post 276319)
..... I was corner working this weekend when someone hit a wall and had to get Life Flighted because they boiled the fluid in their front brakes. So don't skimp on fluid!!

Ouch. Pics? What track were you working? I'll be down near Alvin later this week to go fishing. Keep the rain away!

8541Hawk 08-01-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by NooB (Post 276319)
And get the best fluid you can, you only have to buy a small bottle. You can bleed the front and back a few times over with just a small bottle of fluid. I was corner working this weekend when someone hit a wall and had to get Life Flighted because they boiled the fluid in their front brakes. So don't skimp on fluid!!

Motul RBF 600 is some of the best brake fluid I have used and recomend it highly. ;)

lazn 08-01-2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 996Riders (Post 276310)
Im still needing to know how to remove the old to do the new... anyone ? bolts can always be bought if needed? it came with a set.

just stick a wrench on it, and remove them one at a time. the engine will not fall out.

NooB 08-02-2010 06:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 276320)
Ouch. Pics? What track were you working? I'll be down near Alvin later this week to go fishing. Keep the rain away!

I was stuck in my Gazebo and the guy who wrecked was across the track. Track was MSRH in Angleton, bout a half hour south of downtown. Only pics I got were the damn hornets that infested my Gazebo (ended up killing most of those bastards), and some foam wing that was left over from the LeMons race lol.

Attachment 27151

Attachment 27152

Ok, no more threadjack

996Riders 08-02-2010 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 276346)
just stick a wrench on it, and remove them one at a time. the engine will not fall out.

I thought I was missing something as I stuck a socket in there trying to break it loose and no bueno, didnt budge a tiny bit at all.. figured there may be some special tool looks like there would need one for the left side..

ranchomice 08-02-2010 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by 996Riders (Post 276310)

The particular bolts used are actually engine mounting bolts! You can't just "buy them" as they are longer with the proper kit to compensate for the depth of the mount. I wouldn't mess around trying to make a 1000RR slider fit on the wrong bike, but that's just me. If it were me, I actually wouldn't use that type of slider at all.

Tweety 08-03-2010 05:40 AM

Actually, I see no problem with it... As long as he buys a bolt of the right material, ie not some cheap/unknown...

But for getting the protectors to fit... Well... My rule of thumb is either you buy something that's supposed to fit the VTR and bolt it on...

Or you buy something competely otherwise and make it fit, like he was planning to... But if you go for this option, you should be comfortable enough with the normal wrenching that you don't need to ask 20 questions first... Ie, I get a little cautious when people start modding stuff and then need help with basic stuff along the way... Asking for some info if following in others footsteps or asking "how does this look", excluded...

My advice? By the T-Rex for the VTR...