SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Need advice on "clacking" motor. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/need-advice-clacking-motor-34997/)

Havoc161 07-14-2018 02:39 PM

Random update that dosent envolve my bike specificly. Was at the bike shop today and found a 98 superhawk with 14k miles ran super well thinking about buying it lol.

Havoc161 07-15-2018 03:06 PM

Newest update. Had a chance to really dig into the bike the weekend. Got the heads pulled and yep the valves are totally screwed. So saving money to replace valves at this point.

Wolverine 07-15-2018 03:45 PM

How much was the 14k mile Hawk?

Havoc161 07-15-2018 03:53 PM

2,600 dollars out the door

fabiostar 07-18-2018 02:07 PM

im gona guess you have a few bent valves in the front cylinder

john the red 07-19-2018 11:55 AM

Sorry to thread jack, but I have a question. I just purchased a creampuff of a SHawk with under 10K. The motor purrs like no other. I am prepared to switch to MCCTs, but do I need to check timing or align anything prior to adding and adjusting the tensioners? Or can I zip tie the chain, R & R the CCT and adjust to 5-7mm slack? What's the trusted brand these days? I'm ready to ride, so I'd prefer to not wait on a package from the UK.
Thanks!
-JTR

Havoc161 07-19-2018 12:27 PM

@john the red. IF IT DONT NEED DONE DONT DO IT!!!! Lol but seriously if it's running fine I wouldn't mess with it. Hard lesson learned recently. If you don't know what your doing completely and you think you got it but don't, then you risk trashing the valves and will be in for over a grand if not way worse in repairs.

Cadbury64 07-19-2018 01:56 PM

There is a modification to the auto CCT's that can be done that won't prevent them failing but will prevent engine damage if they do. Personally I went straight to some APE MCCT's.

(1072) CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) Fail Safe Mod. (aka Stopper Mod) - VTR1000.ORG

When you install MCCT's you should take off the cam covers so you can set the chain slack correctly, and that will allow you to check the cam timing marks on the side of the sprockets against the timing mark on the crank. There is a useful guide here:

(1072) Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's) - VTR1000.ORG

Wolverine 07-19-2018 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by john the red (Post 406855)
Sorry to thread jack, but I have a question. I just purchased a creampuff of a SHawk with under 10K. The motor purrs like no other. I am prepared to switch to MCCTs, but do I need to check timing or align anything prior to adding and adjusting the tensioners? Or can I zip tie the chain, R & R the CCT and adjust to 5-7mm slack? What's the trusted brand these days? I'm ready to ride, so I'd prefer to not wait on a package from the UK.
Thanks!
-JTR

Please disregard previous remarks, you should replace those acct's asap. They could go tomorrow, next week, etc. Follow the procedures outlined in the how-to threads. It's all a matter of aligning specific marks before you back out the old ones. If you aren't mechanically inclined, find a local hawk owner or a shop to do it for you.