SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   May have clutch issues? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/may-have-clutch-issues-22221/)

dshakes 04-15-2010 05:27 PM

May have clutch issues?

So i have this odd sond that has developed when i let out the clutch and accelerate. In first and second its noticable but not much after that. Not sure if its cause its too loud at that point or just not there. Now to try and describe it. I dont even know. A hollow aluminum sound? Like the sound of sitting idle with the clutch out but different. I am clueless how to describe it so if you guys want to start throwing ideas out go for it.

residentg 04-15-2010 05:45 PM

does it feel like the clutch is slipping? it could be so many things...

drew_c14 04-15-2010 06:02 PM

It's probably your rear caliper. Had the same thing happen to me once.

VTRsurfer 04-15-2010 07:56 PM

Do you have an advancer on your bike? It could be detonation (pinging) if your timing is overadvanced.

Try short shifting into 2nd at about 2000 rpm, then open it up. If it sounds like marbles bouncing off your pistons, it's detonation. Which could also be caused by excessive carbon deposits in the combustion chambers and/or low octane fuel.

dshakes 04-15-2010 09:06 PM

I havent had a chance to really feel it out yet. I noticed close to my house and once i pulled it into the garage i have not had it back out. I did try shifting different with no change in the outcome. VTRsurfer, i dont have an advancer. Its only under load in the first couple gears. I dont know....

VTRsurfer 04-15-2010 10:25 PM

Over advanced timing is only one possible cause of detonation. Detonation only occurs under load, and is most noticeable when load is applied (full throttle) at low rpm. But of course you don't want to do that in 1st. That's why I said try short shifting, and nailing it in 2nd at low rpm. Or just slow down to below 2000rpm in 2nd then nail it.

Did you fill up with gas just before it started doing this? I once bought gas from a station, and my truck detonated like crazy going up a hill. I ran a couple of tanks from another station with no problem, then tried the first one again, and again got bad detonation. I never bought from that station again.

So try filling up with premium, or add some octane boost. If it still makes the noise, it's probably not detonation. Good luck.

residentg 04-16-2010 01:46 AM

Is the noise present when you are still, moving, or both?

dshakes 04-16-2010 03:45 AM

At idle with the clutch in or out its fine. Once settled at speed its fine. Its noticible when letting out the clutch in first and after shifting to second. i will try and diagnose a lttle better today. Its work time now though:(

nath981 04-16-2010 04:18 AM

are you using motorcycle specific oil. Could be affecting clutch?

nath981 04-16-2010 04:23 AM

kink in your chain from a bound link? can you feel or just hear it?

dshakes 04-16-2010 01:51 PM

I used supertech oil which guys have recomended and i used it before. Could be i suppose its having an effect. I cant really feel it . Its just audible at this point.

nath981 04-16-2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by dshakes (Post 262260)
I used supertech oil which guys have recomended and i used it before. Could be i suppose its having an effect. I cant really feel it . Its just audible at this point.

you may wanna put a stethoscope on it.

8541Hawk 04-16-2010 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 262147)
kink in your chain from a bound link? can you feel or just hear it?

This what it sounds like to me or maybe the chain is just adjusted too tight.

Have you had the rear wheel off lately? Have you checked the chain alignment & tension?

dshakes 04-17-2010 09:36 AM

Got some free time today so i think i will check the chain over and give her a good listen.