Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Low temp fan switch gremlins-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Low temp fan switch gremlins-HELP

So I bought on ebay & finally installed & put some miles on the low temp fan switch. I believe it comes on at 160 instead of 180. I does indeed never let the bike get over half way on the temp guage (dont have digital) But on the down side in city traffic the fan is ALWAYS on. I keep my battery on a trickle charger so have been OK but this concerns me.
SECOND ( where I need help ) since installing this switch, I have noticed that when I pull onto a highway or long bridge & sort of put the hammer down, the right turn signal comes on intermitantly. This seems bizarre to me. Does anyone have ANY ideas about this??? My belief is that all this fanning is causing problems. I would rather swap back than fry my wiring harness. Guys- I could use help here.........Thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
you have a short somewhere and my guess is g forces are causing wires to touch.. i bet you have a couple worn out wires... is the signal blinking when it comes on intermittently, or perma on?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I cut and modified the battery box to accept a larger battery, 12 ah, so parasitic drains such as a cooling fan isn't an issue, and with the engine running the fan drain is within the capacity of the charging system.

I wonder if the turn signal harness is chaffed or has a loose component within the switch. So, what are the vdc readings on the bike? Normal?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Intermittantly; the first couple times I would think that I forgot to turn it off but I can turn on the other signal while its happening. Once I am up to speed it goes away. Your diagnosis sounds right. I was also worried that it was the hier current draw when the ignition was reved hier. I plan to look for a short. My wiring harness is suspect anyway from some mechanical "incidents" encountered throughout the life of the steed.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Seems that the blinker problem after you did the fan is just a coincidence, unless of course you upset some of the wiring while you were working on it.