Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LED tail light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Squid

bloch28 is on a distinguished road
LED tail light Issues

Hey I'm having issues with a LED tail light I purchased off eBay. first I want to say that I have searched through old threads and my problems need more detail then what has been been givin. I'm not having any problems with the turn signals. The issue is the brake light. The previous owner of my bike did some real crackhead stuff to the wiring so I have had to pretty much rewire a lot of the tail end. Because of all that I do not have the stock connectors for the tail light. I have been trying to figure out which wires go to which but I can only come out with two results. 1. the tail light is bright like the im pushing on the breaks and 2. the tail light is dim like its supposed to be but when when i hit my breaks it doesn't get any brighter. Any help would really be appreciated thanks!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Squid

Alright im going to try to give as much info on whats going on here as I can. I have had to splice all my wires that go to my rear lighting. What I have is 2 Green and yellow wires 3 brown wires (one of them is a lighter brown) and 4 green wires. The sold green wires have very small markings on them 2 of them have small black squares and the others 2 have small gray squares on them. The tail light I bought has 1 black wire 1 red wire and 1 yellow wire. These three wires are for the running light and break light. I know that there is two sets of the three wires is for the tail light. If anyone can help me out here I would be very grateful
Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Squid

Well I figured it out. had a 30 amp fuse in the tail light spot which is supposed to have a 10amp.... but only pressing the rear break makes it light up.... better then nothing
Old 03-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
if it only lights up with the rear switch then you gotta pull apart your front brake switch and clean the connections. That's the most likely culprit, a 30amp fuse is a bad idea, but that wouldn't be the problem. In fact, if you're running an LED rear, it probably only pulls a little over 1.5amps or so, but I don't know which one you're running.

But check the front switch; if there is even the smallest amount of corrosion on those contact points it'll tweak stuff up pretty bad.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Squid

Thanks I will try cleaning them. It sounds like its a pretty common problem after searching the whole forum thanks for the help!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bloch28
Alright im going to try to give as much info on whats going on here as I can. I have had to splice all my wires that go to my rear lighting. What I have is 2 Green and yellow wires 3 brown wires (one of them is a lighter brown) and 4 green wires. The sold green wires have very small markings on them 2 of them have small black squares and the others 2 have small gray squares on them. The tail light I bought has 1 black wire 1 red wire and 1 yellow wire. These three wires are for the running light and break light. I know that there is two sets of the three wires is for the tail light. If anyone can help me out here I would be very grateful
I have a hard copy of the Helm's Service Manual (1998-2005) I could email you pdfs of wiring diagram if you still have trouble. It would show where those wires started out anyway. There may even be an image in the knowledge base forum manuals thread but i did not look.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
I have a hard copy of the Helm's Service Manual (1998-2005) I could email you pdfs of wiring diagram if you still have trouble. It would show where those wires started out anyway. There may even be an image in the knowledge base forum manuals thread but i did not look.
Hey if you could pm me that it would help out a lot I tried cleaning the connectors on the front but it made no difference
Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Squid

Never mind I lost the little pin in the break lever when I changed the stock ones out