Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Just got my '97 and having some issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 05:28 AM
Squid

SinfulFuture is on a distinguished road
Just got my '97 and having some issues

I just got a '97 and I'm having a problem now. The bike had been stored at a shop by the previous owner. My understanding was that it was ran on a regular basis while it sat there for a couple years. When I picked it up they had to jump start the bike and while it was warming up it ran out of gas. I went and got some 92 Oct from Chevron and filled it up. We restarted the bike and it ran fine. I rode it 20 miles to my house without an issue. I went to start the bike a few hours later and it wouldn't start. The next day I went to jump start the bike and it started fine. I rode about 15 miles till I came to a stop at a light and the bike died. It didn't have enough of a charge to restart, so I pushed it to a gas station. I was able to hookup a tender and put a charge on the battery. Yet when I tried to start the bike, it will attempt to start but not actually turn over. It's almost like it's not getting fuel even though the tank is full. I'm familiar with working on cars but I'm new to bikes. I appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:54 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Sounds like your battery is shot. If it sat a long time the carbs most likely need a clean.
Trying to charge a dead battery may have cooked the R/R or it was dead already.
Lots of great info here. Use the search tool
Old 12-25-2011, 09:41 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I had the same issue on my 98. I replaced the r/r (regulator/rectifier) and battery and all was well.

And BTW, there's lots of threads on it, but the genereal consensus is that 87 is best as that is what the engine is tuned for. Some people have problems running higher octanes
Old 12-25-2011, 12:26 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
The battery is toast from the sounds of it,while you're at it,change the R/R all at the same time,it will save future headaches.
The bike doesn't need anymore than 91ron/89oct in it,it will run good on that.
Run some seafoam in the tank to help with some of the grunge that might be in those lines amd carbs.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Squid

SinfulFuture is on a distinguished road
Thank you all very much. I will look at replacing the battery and R/R. I will post up as soon as I try that.