Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Jetting problems- help!

Old 12-22-2004, 03:47 AM
Back Marker

Random
Re: Jetting problems- help!

I know it sound stupid, but did you verify that the choke Lever works properly? (on both carbs?)

It sure sounds like the fuel enrichment for cold start isn't working.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Squid

Alic
I had the same cold start issue after slip-ons, K&N, Jet Kit and dyno jetting. The choke cable was only opening one of the carbs - for the other carb it broke off and keeps it shut. I ended up increasing idling RPMs via idle adjust screw (to 1400 RPM). When I start, I open choke momentarily, then start, crank the throttle and hold it there at 3k RPM for 30 secs (after closing choke). Then I blip the throttle a few times to about 8k, then let it idle, then blip it again a few times. When the temperature reaches 100F, I let it idle and heat up to 120F (which virtually eliminates the clunk-die thing, esp. while braking at traffic lights). Then I ride.

Adjusting the idle screw did make the bike run hotter in stop-go traffic. It is now running at about 200F.

I haven't attempted the TPS mod fix yet (no time), but will try it when weather gets warmer.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Squid

JoeRider677
Originally Posted by Alic
I had the same cold start issue after slip-ons, K&N, Jet Kit and dyno jetting. The choke cable was only opening one of the carbs - for the other carb it broke off and keeps it shut. I ended up increasing idling RPMs via idle adjust screw (to 1400 RPM). When I start, I open choke momentarily, then start, crank the throttle and hold it there at 3k RPM for 30 secs (after closing choke). Then I blip the throttle a few times to about 8k, then let it idle, then blip it again a few times. When the temperature reaches 100F, I let it idle and heat up to 120F (which virtually eliminates the clunk-die thing, esp. while braking at traffic lights). Then I ride.

Adjusting the idle screw did make the bike run hotter in stop-go traffic. It is now running at about 200F.

I haven't attempted the TPS mod fix yet (no time), but will try it when weather gets warmer.
Chocke it actually an enricher! kinda important... Remember the LESS turns out from seated with the mixture (air bleed) the richer and cooler running around idle speed .... we hope. Damned things run HOT
Old 12-24-2004, 07:05 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong
Re: Jetting problems- help!

Originally Posted by gwade";p=&quot View Post
Thanks, I will check that. Note that it's also a bitch to hot start...also, I went into my garage last night and the whole place smelled of petrol. Never smelled that strong before...what might cause that? Perhaps something is causing the thing to flood when switched off?
Could be some dirt sticking the needle and seat "s" or the float height got whacked when the carbs were apart . Might want to check to see if fuel has got into the oil which is common when problems similar to this arise . Fuel will whack the viscosity index improvers and thin the oil out + a few more off topic problems like elevated cylinder wear ect .

A tip when restarting after the fuel bowls have been drained is to use an old gear oil bottle and prefill the bowls right through the main fuel line . Saves the starter and is a bit easier on the cams that get no appreciable lube while cranking .