Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Jet Kit....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
stock main jets are 175 front, 178 rear. Burnie Morgan mod on paper filter can make little help too.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

00SUPERHAWK is on a distinguished road
Thats interesting cause when I ordered the #45 pilot jet and I told the parts guy what the front and rear mains were he said that was stock 175 rear 172 front. HMMM??
3 number differance what I have now as well as stock.
Parts guy just told me that the 99 had 175r 172f.

Last edited by 00SUPERHAWK; 03-18-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 00SUPERHAWK
Took the carbs off today and as it turns out I dont have a jet kit, I do have sloted needles. The rear jets are 175/45 stock right? The fronts are 172/45, stock right? The front is stamped 38 but someone scribed 45 in it. Hmmm, I have a stock 45 ordered from local honda dealer.Cleaning everything now then on to the pilot screws.
Well, a jet kit is really only an adjustable needle so you do, in fact, have one. The only parts included in a jet kit are a variety of jets which aren't special.

What do your plugs read? I think it's wise to check that, even if you are convinced that it is lean. Sometimes pulling the choke can mask other problems - like a torn diaphragm. I'd check those very closely while you are at it.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Well, a jet kit is really only an adjustable needle so you do, in fact, have one. The only parts included in a jet kit are a variety of jets which aren't special.

What do your plugs read? I think it's wise to check that, even if you are convinced that it is lean. Sometimes pulling the choke can mask other problems - like a torn diaphragm. I'd check those very closely while you are at it.
Jamie, here are the plugs. The one on the right if front. Also if you look closely the crush washer isnt crushed. They were barely tightened in the cylinder. By what the threads look like I wonder if I wasnt getting a good bit of blow by?

Jet Kit....-2012-03-18_15-03-03_83.jpg
Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

Yeah, those plugs look a little lean, but not terribly so. While you have the carbs off I would make sure to check things thoroughly. It would be a shame to go through all of that work just to find out you didn't fix the source of the problem.

On a bright note, all of this talk about carbs motivated me today to make that jetting change I've been wanting to do...... for the last three years.....
Old 03-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

So with the mains being F-172 and R-175 its been tuned for High Altitude. But the 172 has "Factory" stamped on it and the 175 has a star stamped on it. Also the pilot screws were close to 3 full turns on both.

But Im wondering if my issues on the low end werent from the plugs not being tightened fully in the heads. I put the ratchet and socket on them and with barely any pressure the came loose. Now I know that the torque on them is more than that. As I said in my other post the crush washer wasnt close to being crushed and the plugs had a bunch of oily residue on the threads, blow by.

At this point I just dont know. Do I put it back together and see how it runs, now that the plugs are torqued or wait for my new 178 main and 45 pilot jets to come later this week? And where to set the pilot screws? HMMMMM????
Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
.......Do I put it back together and see how it runs, now that the plugs are torqued or wait for my new 178 main and 45 pilot jets to come later this week? And where to set the pilot screws? HMMMMM????
I'd set the pilots at 2.75 turns out, synch the carbs and see how it runs.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

R, Leave all the jets as they are and do what you suggest? Or wait for the new jets?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Might as well wait for the new jets so you don't have to keep going in there.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

OK, will do!!! My back needs a break from these past few days of riding.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 AM
SuperBike

Also the pilot screws were close to 3 full turns on both.
That's way too much. A good setting will be in the 1.5-2.0 turns range. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

That's way too much. A good setting will be in the 1.5-2.0 turns range. Good luck!
Jamie, The service manual even states 2 3/4 as does 8541hawks carb set up thread. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/
Im at sea level, if maybe 25 ft above.

Just asking, Starting to get confused. Because when I did the "pull the choke" test while the bike was running it ran better, especially on the low end. Which indicates I was lean. But lean where? Obviously not on the Screws, but on the one Pilot which is is stamped #38? (but scribed 45, I believe the stamp it looks smaller than the 45 I do have) Cant be lean on the low end due to the smaller Mains 172/175, they dont come into play till later in the throttle input. Needles? Been playing with them.
Im wondering if the fact the spark plugs werent torqued down but in fact hand tight in the heads wasnt the cause?
Im waiting on a 178 main and a new 45 pilot from the dealer, I have the screws set as close to 2 3/4 on both and the plugs are torqued to spec. Guess Ill see????
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Have you looked into using 48 pilots? It seems like that could be a way to go. I'd give that a shot if you haven't...

And a note on buying jets... these carbs use Keihin Series 21 jets. So if your dealer doesn't have them in stock, call around to the motorcycle shops in your area. They're very common, and I've found that when the Honda dealer doesn't carry them, other shops or parts stores will have them in stock so I don't have to wait for an order to come in.

Just ask for Keihin series 21 #48 pilots.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

No I havent looked at the #48 pilots. Was hoping to get the stock ones in and go from there. Since I have to small of one pilot now as well as a main.
At this point Im gonna get it back to where it should be jet wise and then go from there. Just got to thinking tho where to start with the needles. They were at the third slot with a .020 shim. Guess I should leave them there and once I get it back together start from that point. OH BOY what a PITA!!!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM
SuperBike

Don't switch from the #45 pilots - I've never seen a VTR run good with anything else.
#45's!!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Im sticking with the 45's Jamie. Figure it be a good starting point if nothing else. What you think about the needle setting? Leave it where it was, third slot from top with a .020 shim. I also have the screws set right at 2 3/4 turns on both. Just waiting on my parts from dealer.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Here are the jets I removed.

Jet Kit....-jets.jpg

Hope you can see that the pilot is a #38 and the main is a 172.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Can someone tell me the length of the stock needles? From the base where it sits in the slide to the end of the needle. Trying to get a base line for my bike and the lean issue I am having. And I want to know where to set the clips on my needles and whether or not to add the shims.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you gotten the stock sized jets installed yet? 172/175 is the high-altitude jetting (it's what I'm running here above 4k'), so any adjustments to the needles at this point are really just masking that the jets are wrong all the way through the range. I'm running the stock #45 pilots here, so whoever adjusted your bike must have been somewhere like Denver or Colorado Springs or went a bit overboard with the #38 pilot. Those idle jets were too small so you're running way lean down low, and somewhat lean up top.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

No I havent gotten the 178 and a 45 jets yet. Should be here by Friday. I was wondering what the length of the stock needles are so I can set the clips on my adjustable needles close to stock and then go from there, whether move the clip or shim them. I have the screws set at 2 3/4 on both. So all Im waiting on is the jets and setting needle length.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 AM
SuperBike

Here is what I would suggest as a good starting point:

Main Jets: 175F/178R
Pilot Jets: #45
Pilot Screw: 2.0 turns out
Needle position: #3 (no shim)

Of course just about every engine is slightly different, but these should get you close enough to ride without major problems. I think you'll find you only need a small tweak at most. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Jamie, Wouldnt 2 turns on the screws be a little lean at sea level? All other settings Im gonna do. Just wondering.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 PM
SuperBike

Jamie, Wouldnt 2 turns on the screws be a little lean at sea level? All other settings Im gonna do. Just wondering.

Thanks!!!
I don't think so. I'm at 350ft above sea level and run my bike at 1.5 turns out with #45's.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Ill give it a try, see what happens. Thanks!!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

UGH still waiting on my jets. Pilot came in yesterday, main should be here today. Been a beautiful week for riding and the hawk has been down all week. Will be out of town this weekend visiting my folks so no riding. Maybe next week.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Squid

ddavi280 is on a distinguished road
Did you ever check if your slides are drilled, and are you planning on leaving the extra holes still? Or do you only plug the holes if you go back to stock long slide springs. I'm pulling my carbs apart mainly to clean but I really want to return them to stock while in there (DJ kit right now) even though the bike runs great. How does the extra slider hole play into the scenario?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

My slides have only stock holes in them. I wasn't planing on plugging one of the holes in the front slide. And I still have stock springs. I'm just trying to get the jetting where it should be to then work on getting rid of the lean issue at 2500-3000.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
SuperBike

How sure are you that the springs and slides are stock?

Based on your main jets it looks probable you have a Factory Pro kit. That's good because the Dynojunk kits are not very good. The FP kits do not require drilling and do not replace the springs. Let's hope that's the one you have.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

How sure are you that the springs and slides are stock?

Based on your main jets it looks probable you have a Factory Pro kit. That's good because the Dynojunk kits are not very good. The FP kits do not require drilling and do not replace the springs. Let's hope that's the one you have.

Jamie, Only the 172 main was a "Factory" all the other jets were Keihin. Why someone would tune this thing as lean as they did here in FL is beyond me 172 main and a #38 pilot. But have the screws almost 3 turns out. Go figure!?!?

As far as the springs and slides, springs are very long close to 10" and slides have the needle hole and to lift holes on each slide. Should I do the plug one hole mod on the front slide? Or would that lean things out again?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Squid

Dogfish66 is on a distinguished road
Have you taken out the plastic shield that goes in front of the front carb by any chance?

Quick Reply: Jet Kit....