Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Imparting knowlage

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Firefly is on a distinguished road
Imparting knowlage

So I plan on going streetfighter/ratrod on the VTR after I catch up on the maintenance inspections and repairs that I'm coming up on (valve clearance inspection, carb tune, chain inspection; none of which I have the tools for). I'm working out of the owners manual (that I had to buy =\ ). I plan to do a full cleaning of what I can; and lurking has advised me to use watered down simple green (how would pineoil work for this?) and snubbed stiff paint brushes, and toothbrushes for the harder to reach things, before I get anything done.

As long as I have a detailed manual and the right tools I'm fair handy, though I'm used to working on aircraft and not this. So I guess you could say my experience is medium if it's transferable, and just above nil if it isn't.

Electrical knowledge is a little more apt, thought tools there are still unavailable.

Swapping the fairing for just a lower and a headlight assembly, swapping the tach/speedo with a new unit (which I have no way of mounting yet).

How in over my head am I getting?

(Another question, what should I look for as far as wear and tear on a 31k hawk with not maintnece records?)
________
Honda nr750
Attached Thumbnails Imparting knowlage-16543_198731658314_525083314_3159419_3281555_n.jpg  

Last edited by Firefly; 02-27-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Squid

lean'r~N~prgrss is on a distinguished road
welcome...on a SH with that kind of miles and no records,of course lets all state the obvious. all fluids should be changed,and replace stock cam chain tensioners with aftermarket manual tensioner. stock is faulty and unpredictable on when they will go.
too,it prob wouldn't hert to get carbs sinc'd and fuel air mix correct.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Squid

lean'r~N~prgrss is on a distinguished road
forgot to add, that when a stock tensioner fails,the product of that failure is very very bad. and will need a complete teardown to fix problem.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Replace air in tires, as it goes stale after a few months. Ideally replace it with high altitude air as this is lighter, cooler and has a lower boiling point than denser sea level air, and will simultaneously improve handling, mpg and top speed.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
Replace air in tires, as it goes stale after a few months. Ideally replace it with high altitude air as this is lighter, cooler and has a lower boiling point than denser sea level air, and will simultaneously improve handling, mpg and top speed.
WOW.

This is my next mod.
Stale tire air is getting the best of all of us.
This ranks right up there with Ethanol, stale fuel, tensioners, the lot...

Down to my last half gallon of nog for the season, damn.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by Wicky
I'm at Ft. Carson, so I think I got that down pat.
________
Sikhism forums

Old 01-02-2010, 01:43 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Check out VTS's fighter for some clean, slick ideas.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20904
There's a few nice pic's of his hawk here^ , also use the search function for streetfighter and naked hawk for some great examples for inspiration, there's some nice one on here.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:51 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
You're used to working on aircraft and have anxieties about a S'hawk? Something out of kilter there.

Factory shop manual is the best tool to get and considering that shop fees are over $75/hr, any tool that you buy pays for itself the first time you pick it up.

WELCOME....we're all glad you came, we know why you're here.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by stebbdt
Check out VTS's fighter for some clean, slick ideas.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20904
There's a few nice pic's of his hawk here^ , also use the search function for streetfighter and naked hawk for some great examples for inspiration, there's some nice one on here.
I spent since august doing that, and I've ranged from chopping the seat to not going fighter at all. But I've decided on what I want now. I should be ready for VTROTM sometime around march. =)

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
You're used to working on aircraft and have anxieties about a S'hawk? Something out of kilter there.

Factory shop manual is the best tool to get and considering that shop fees are over $75/hr, any tool that you buy pays for itself the first time you pick it up.

WELCOME....we're all glad you came, we know why you're here.
I'm just nervous about something I've never done, and my general lack of experience.

In my months of lurking I got the PDF =)

Well thank you kindly.
________
Sc2 replays