Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Help Stripped Valve cover Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Help Stripped Valve cover Bolts

Hey guys,

I was in the process of changint out my CCT's with Manuals and looks like the front 2 Valve cover bolts stripped and broke off at the same points. What gives?

HOw bad is this? what is the best way to rectify this? and would the manual have the part umber for these to order? Also what are the consequences of leaving them slightly loose. Im assuming this is no longer rideable.

Only good news is the cct's are in and happy. well at least till I can test it.

Thanks for assistance guys
Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Yep, they're broke! Get out the drill. I'd say e-z out but if they sapped w/ that much thread left in there, probably won't happen.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Back Marker

where is the best place to get new bolts? after I drill them out what do i need to thread the bolts back in?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 PM
MotoGP

Old 08-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
First off, that sucks. Someone probably over torqued them.

From my experience (and I have a fair amount) with e-z outs, when the bolt is that small, the e-z out ends up breaking. I would suggest removing the head, and finding a shop that has experience with removing broken bolts. Otherwise you might try a left hand drill bit or try using a small chisel and hammer, tapping in a counterclockwise direction. Sometimes either of those works, but the e-z out is the least likely to work in your situation.

Good luck.

yeah tell me about it I was so blown. Im not savvy by any means and was trying to be slow and detailed when doing the CCT swap. I was able to do that which is not fun by the way. Il going to try and tap it out tomorrow and see if my buddy can remedy it for me. Hes a bike mechanic and has plenty of expierience with this sorta thing. there is a lip in the threads so maybe i can work them out with needle noses and some tap finesse.

Anyone know if helicoil would be of good use here?

I guess my winter work came early lol I can do the PAIR while im here and jet these carbs, also give her a nice scrub down.

Thanks for the assistance guys
Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I've had this exact thing happen. I was able to use a small srewdriver/chisel just as VTRsurfer suggested and back them out. Be very patient (something which is hard to do right now)! They may not come out, but it's happened twice to me and I was able to back them out both times.

It's what VTRsurfer said- someone torqued them too much. These aren't assembly bolts and are actually torqued fairly softly as they only squish the valve gasket down. My PO did not know this, and what happens is the bolts are torqued down too much and weakened, then the next time they're torqued after being removed, they snap. I was yelling words of curse for hours! It looks like you may have enough of an edge that snapped off to do this on both bolts. They probably won't be in there too tight...

New bolts can only be bought at a Honda dealer. Fortunately, they are used on several machines and so may be in stock (and are pretty cheap): Where Used Tool

May want to get four just to be safe. Or just tighten them very loosely. If they're too loose the only thing that happens is the valve cover leaks oil, nothing catastrophic.

Last edited by 7moore7; 08-16-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I've had this exact thing happen. I was able to use a small srewdriver/chisel just as VTRsurfer suggested and back them out. Be very patient (something which is hard to do right now)! They may not come out, but it's happened twice to me and I was able to back them out both times.

It's what VTRsurfer said- someone torqued them too much. These aren't assembly bolts and are actually torqued fairly softly as they only squish the valve gasket down. My PO did not know this, and what happens is the bolts are torqued down too much and weakened, then the next time they're torqued after being removed, they snap. I was yelling words of curse for hours! It looks like you may have enough of an edge that snapped off to do this on both bolts. They probably won't be in there too tight...

New bolts can only be bought at a Honda dealer. Fortunately, they are used on several machines and so may be in stock (and are pretty cheap): Where Used Tool

May want to get four just to be safe. Or just tighten them very loosely. If they're too loose the only thing that happens is the valve cover leaks oil, nothing catastrophic.
The part that sucks is they stripped on removal.. I was very perplexed on this thought. I backed them out and then was like whoa these are dead and look nothing like the others. Ill pick up a few for sure since im sure down the road ill have a need.

I appreciate the input.

Last edited by kardiac996; 08-16-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I got mine out by drilling a small pilot hole into the broken threads and using a left hand drill bit. It came out easy. Just make sure you don't get any metal shavings in the head.

I would try that first before removing the heads.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:38 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by aja
Just make sure you don't get any metal shavings in the head.

I would try that first before removing the heads.
+1
Maybe a little heat too. Does your friend have an impact driver? Maybe grind a slot and try tapping w/ that. Here a pic, it turns with the impact force.

I have one if you want to try it. I could bring it down sometime tomorrow/today (friday).
Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
The broke due to over tightening.. These bolts have a shoulder, once that contact is made, more TQ breaks them just where you found out.

Center punch and a left hand drill bit they will come right out.

A drill / screw extractor will also work.

Unless cross threaded.. the broken section will come out before you even switch to the easy out side.

This is the same idea as the turning (tapping) with a punch.. your just turning the screw with a carbide chisel point creating heat, shock and TQ.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:58 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Another option, my friend has a tool that's used for drilling out broken bolts. Doesn't matter if it's flush, recessed, or sticking out of the threads, it centers the drill bit perfectly, and using increasing drill bits you can sometimes pull the bolt threads out of the hole like a spiral of just the threads, without damaging the threads in the head.

I forget the name and I can't find it online... I'll get back to you when he replies what the brand is.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
QuikCenter Broken Bolt Remover

Old 08-17-2012, 04:13 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
QuikCenter Broken Bolt Remover

QuikCenter Broken Bolt Remover - YouTube
That's the one. I've seen it used on exhaust studs and it worked great, saved the original threads.

www.quikcenter.com
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Back Marker

Well my buddy was able to do it with keeping threads intact!! Was so happy he made that **** look so easy.

He also timed my new Mcct install on both valves so im even happier to find out I did it and only jumped a single tooth on the rear cyl!!! go me!

Waiting on my new valve cover bolts to come in probably monday or tues then button up and test ride. I'm feeling good that she will purr.

Thank you all for the input and advice, I ordered the set he used for any future issues regarding breaking bolts I learned a lot watching him. I will however torque bolts to spec unlike the PO.

Thanks again.