Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Help........!! clutch bleeding!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Squid

marcvtr1000 is on a distinguished road
Question Help........!! clutch bleeding!!

hi guys,
i am far from a mechanic but i do all the work on my bike myself, a couple of months ago i had an unfortunate accident where i had a head on crash with a transit van (ouch)!
but all good now, repaired the bike everything done apart from one thing, for some reason the clutch wont bleed, iv tried too many times, asked a couple of people if im doing it right and they say yes but i cant be there must be something i am doing wrong!
iv been at it for 2days and im now stumped??????????
Currently im bleeding it just like i bled the brakes, is this right if so why would it not work and if im wrong can someone offer a lil advice??

many thanks
marc
Old 02-24-2009, 05:06 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Lean the bike on the right side until the master conduit is past horizontal, yes that low !! Almost on the side lol, the damn bubble should go up the master, if you disconnected the slave cylinder, you will need to bleed the bottom first.
If you don't trust your leg, you can take off the handle and lean the handle only, of course you need to pull the clutch several times to move the fluid

Last edited by gboezio; 02-24-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:40 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
There are other ways and specialized tools but this was easy and worked for me...you can also do a search under "clutch bleeding" and you'll see a bunch of different posts on the topic. Welcome aboard and hope this works for you.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...leeding+clutch
Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
KISS....

the air will rise to the highest point. on the hawk it's at the banjo joint ( while on the stand ), put a rag under the banjo and pump the clutch a few times and crack that banjo joint open just like you would the bleed screw.

i use my $20 minivac to pull the fluid through the line then burp the banjo... take just a few minutes. ( same with the brake lines )

tim
Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Welcome

Originally Posted by captainchaos
There are other ways and specialized tools but this was easy and worked for me...you can also do a search under "clutch bleeding" and you'll see a bunch of different posts on the topic. Welcome aboard and hope this works for you.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...leeding+clutch
+1 and
maybe you could introduce yourself and your bike.......................
Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Just unbolt the MC and hold it lever end up; A helper is a plus...pump through a few strokes amd you should be good.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Have you had it apart before bleeding? Was it working okay before the crash
My one had a slow leak, not completely solved by a new seal- in the end had to take it all apart to discover score marks in the barrel. Quick bit of wet'n'dry and polish and it was better - Still I replaced it with a low milage Blackbird unit of ebay with the new seal(£10).

Anyhow to bleed it you need to top up the clutch reservoir more often per pump than compared to the brake side. IIRC loosen banjo bolt, pump - tighten - fill -loosen banjo bolt, pump - tighten - till until clear bubble free fluid emerges

At most you can do about 2 squeezes before topping up

keep the jam jar just below the level of the bottom of the enjun prefilled (I raise mine up on an improvised platform)

Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes

Tootle pip
Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pigwings
+1 and
maybe you could introduce yourself and your bike.......................
Haha, this reminds me of the kids at my school. I will have students that have never talked to me in their life come up and ask me when I could fix their car. They don't even introduce themselves! I don't understand it at all.

Anywho, bleed the banjo, just turn the bars to what ever "lock" puts the banjo at the highest point. Simple, done, not a problem.(that is after you have bled everything else) Bikes are far easier to bleed than an automobile, especially the clutches.