Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Handle bar

Old 01-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Handle bar

well it has been windy as hell here in Los Angeles and my bike got blown over on the right side (front hand brake and throttle side) anyway the bar end now is able to touch the tank on a full turn of the wheel to the right. and although there isnt any damage to the tank there very well could be a ding in a matter of a few rides if i dont figure out how to move the right side a little more forward again. it looks like its only a few allen hex nuts keeping it in place but i dont want to mess anything up.

I need help! is it really as simple as it looks? or do i need all sorts of torque tools and specs?

thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 09:23 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
If it's the stock bar, it's locked with a pin into the top triple to hopefully keep it from rotating into the tank in the event of a situtation like yours. What it won't prevent is the bar bending. A harder fall would have bent it enough to ding the tank. Ya' got lucky. There is some clearance so loosening up the pinch bolt and repositioning it will help a little but not much.

You can either buy a new handlebar (ouch!), get a used one (sometimes very cheap) or take it to a machine shop and have them straighten it. If you do the last, it will be weaker than new if in another accident but fine for riding. I had one done once for $10.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:06 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Handle bar

Also make sure that the forks aren't twisted,i.e. no longer parallel to each other.
If your bar end is touching the tank either the locating pin is broken off, like superbling already mentioned, or the forks are twisted.

Kai Ju
Old 01-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

hey "Kai Ju" whats with the name? my buddy worked for a sort of dress up monster wrestling thing that was called that...anime asian thing. tough to explain. anyway, just wondering if it has anything to do with it? thanks for the help
Old 01-17-2006, 07:22 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no, the truth is out.
It is in fact "Monster" in Japanese.
It's actually supposed to be written as one word,i.e. kaiju, but it is written as two characters in Kanji.
I took some poetic license when I chose it because of my naked VTR.

Kai Ju