Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

GPS Systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Squid

VTR Time-Travel is on a distinguished road
GPS Systems

I am getting ready to buy another GPS system and I want to get one to mount on my SH. I mostly use it for my work in the city, but plan on using it for future trips also. I used the one from my truck but it was hard to see and of course I could not hear the voice prompts. I really don't want to spend a fortune for one if I don't have to.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
So you are looking for suggestions?

Don't get a Zumo 550 if you don't want to spend a lot. I got one, but turns out I probably would have been perfectly fine with a much lesser model.

Check sport-touring.net. Those folks have been everywhere on everything, and used all sorts of gadgets along the way.

I think a Garmin Nuvi is pretty popular for bikers.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Squid

Hey thanks for your imput! I will check out that web site. The one that Garmin makes for motorcycles is around $800.00 i think, and it seems like I should be able to find something cheaper that will do just as well. I think the bluetooth tech. is what drives the price up. But I listen to my mp3 player with headphones inside my helmet that block out the noise and play the music.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:13 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Go to www.techmounts.com. good stuff. I have the stem mount. then go to www.powerletproducts.com to power it up!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Squid

Those were great leads, I checked both out and bookmarked them. About the only mounting I have used temp. was using the map slot in my tank bag. It would be awesome to have something made just for the GPS-so Thank!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
Go to www.techmounts.com. good stuff. I have the stem mount. then go to www.powerletproducts.com to power it up!
Do you have any pics of your setup? I've got at Garmin 60csx that I want to mount.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Squid

Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Do you have any pics of your setup? I've got at Garmin 60csx that I want to mount.
Go here to see my set-up with the 60CSx:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...5&postcount=14
Old 03-17-2009, 12:10 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Thanks Crawdaddy, those prices are had to beat. Have you ever had your Garmin pop out of the cradle? I've read reports of that happening.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Squid

Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Thanks Crawdaddy, those prices are had to beat. Have you ever had your Garmin pop out of the cradle? I've read reports of that happening.
I've seen the same reports but I'd say that's a pretty rare occurrence and probably more limited to harsher environments like off-road motorcycling.....

I use a RAM mount with my 60CSx when dualsporting off-road on my KTMs and it hasn't ever popped out on me (yet).......that said, I sometimes zip-tie it to the mount, and always clip the lanyard to the mount, as a safety mechanism when dualsporting.......but I don't even worry about it when it's mounted on the Superhawk........if it can withstand the stresses of an off-road/dualsporting environment it can certainly withstand the lack of stress it sees on a road bike....I wouldn't worry about it......

I also wouldn't spend the extra cash for a Touratech vibe isolated mount.....unnecessary.....the RAM mount will work just fine......but definitely hardwire your unit so you don't have to run it in battery saver mode and you can leave it illuminated 100% at night.....

I really like riding with the 60CSx.....it enhances the riding experience both off road and on-road.....
Old 03-17-2009, 05:23 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Here's the pics... The PO had plans to mount a radar detector to it. I have a little alarm I put there at night. When I get a GPS unit, it will use this for sure.

Name:  8cd72790.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  103.5 KB
Name:  0b67ace2.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  100.4 KB
Name:  c3994530.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  73.4 KB
Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
The new Zumo 650 is cheaper than the 550 but its price will go down.

I'm debating whether its worth the price to have a GPS on a motorcycle that is waterproof, glove friendly, and hear the directions, music, and make calls, etc via Bluetooth. No other GPS but the Garmin Zumo has these features except the TomTom Rider 2 (which is cheaper). There are + & - to each unit but I'm leaning toward the 650.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:07 PM
SuperSport

You know you could expand that into a cupholder too. Maybe velcro a dinner plate to it too. Hehe. That would be a good spot for XM or an Ipod though. Or portable DVD player. Ok, I'll stop.

The RAM mount for handlebars with the U bolt fit on the tank bolts. Just need some spacers and its much cheaper than the yoke mount I believe. That's what I'm using on the VFR and the SH. The yoke mount is clean though and in the right place.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:10 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

I was thinking it would be funny to mount one of those ceramic dash mount Hawaiian girls on there....but then I was worried what could happen if I were to knock it off at speed....
Old 03-17-2009, 06:25 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
i agree with not buying a zumo 550 if you dont want to spend much. however, the new zumo, the 660, is less money with even better qualities. its cheaper because it doesnt have xm radio capability. other than that, its actually a better unit. its more compact and has a bigger screen. its pretty sweet, ill actually have one on the way once they're released.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
SuperSport

Q

Originally Posted by skokievtr
The new Zumo 650 is cheaper than the 550 but its price will go down.

I'm debating whether its worth the price to have a GPS on a motorcycle that is waterproof, glove friendly, and hear the directions, music, and make calls, etc via Bluetooth. No other GPS but the Garmin Zumo has these features except the TomTom Rider 2 (which is cheaper). There are + & - to each unit but I'm leaning toward the 650.
I got the Zumo 550 and a Scala Rider Q2 headset in preparation for a cross country trip with my best friend. Getting all the Bluetooth crap linked up can be a headache, but its nice knowing who's calling and being able to talk to them. Real world application though, that **** is distracting and annoying. Its like preparing for flight every time I want to go somewhere, pushing buttons trying to get everything connected. Now the only buttons I ever use are the "MENU" and "SHOW MAP" which are on the screen. Riding is all about freedom, too many gadgets impede this. A simple GPS that is durable and easy to use plus half the price would be perfect. If you want music get an Ipod or XM. Oh, you could add XM for the Zumo but the antenna is like $200. I just mounted my Roady2 and plugged in some headphones. I also just made some helmet speakers out of a $2 pair of headphones with in line volume control. Unless you are a gadget geek which I am not, just get something simple and functional.

Oh, and since we are showing pics of our "gadgets", here's mine on the VFR with XM. The VFR has ample dash space to hold a cig lighter for powering various instruments.
Name:  IMG_0490.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  112.9 KB

Last edited by Hotbrakes; 03-17-2009 at 06:29 PM.