Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

GPI radiator installs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Squid

bzee is on a distinguished road
GPI radiator installs?

So my left side radiator developed a leak, which only shows up at higher RPMs. At first I thought it was the hose, which I replaced - but it didn't fix it. Kept messing with the clamps and cleaning the connection until I finally saw signs of the leak higher up from the radiator itself.

New OEM radiator is really pricey, so tempted by used one. But a used one may fail the same way that mine did (there was no impact damage, just leaking), as they're all about the same age.

I looked around the forum, and looks like some on the group have installed the aftermarket GPI radiator. Can you share your experience with the install and if there's anything I'd have to watch out for?

Thanks,
BZ
Old 09-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Smokin Joe installed some new chinese radiators from ebay. He seemed to be satisfied with them and he wrote it up somewhere here on the forum. The mods to make them fit did not seem too troublesome as I recall.

Aluminum Radiator Honda Super Hawk VTR1000F 1997 2005 98 99 00 01 02 03 2004 | eBay
Old 09-24-2015, 01:28 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Last summer my left radiator developed a leak.

I took it to the local radiator shop and they repaired the tube with a resin compound.

No problems so far and only cost $20- and a bit of paint.

Good as new!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Squid

I did find Smoking Joe's thread on his (I think GPI) radiator install. Seems like quite a bit of hassle to get it to all fit right.

There is another manufacturer called 'Winner Racing':
Aluminum Radiator Honda Super Hawk VTR1000F 1997 2005 98 99 00 01 02 03 2004 | eBay

And comparing the images of their radiator to the stock ones, looks like the fan and other mounting holes match - so should bolt up easier. Don't know about the fan switch or whether an extension for the bottom hose is required though.

The other option is to find the leak and slather it with JB weld, or bring it to a radiator shop (if they'll work on it at all). Maybe I'll try that first, before ordering the part from China.

Thanks for the suggestions.
BZ
Old 09-24-2015, 05:49 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Any radiator shop worth anything should be able to weld it, pressure test it, and guarantee the work.

If not, look elsewhere.

Ask the local hot rodders, they know where to get quality work done.

James
Old 09-24-2015, 06:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I really like the oversized rads I put on but yeah, not plug and play at all.

The major issue was the fan switch which I already solved so you would sidestep that one.

The fan mounts needed some attention but I never throw away aluminum stock so......

They do cool WAY better than stock. You can get used stockers super cheap on the bay. ($50 anyway).

But you need only the left side and that one is a piece of cake. The right side is tricky.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the good info!
I'll try the repair route first. I actually prefer to get a new unit, but the long wait for the part is too painful! :-)

BZ
Old 09-27-2015, 03:38 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bzee
Thanks for all the good info!
I'll try the repair route first. I actually prefer to get a new unit, but the long wait for the part is too painful! :-)

BZ
Remove rad, pack and send to Mylers Radiator Repair Myler's Radiators, Motorcycle Radiators, Radiator Repair, Radiator Sales, Offroad, ATV, Street, parts, accessories, apparel, service, jacket, glove
choose your return shipping option, receive your repaired, tested rad back in a few days.
Done

I have used Mylers dozens of times since 2003
Old 09-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I have a right side GPI radiator on the front of my bike. Installed in 2012, almost 18k miles without problem. However if you need anything from GPI you can forget it.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:11 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Cole, I get the idea that GPI is one Chinese guy who is selling these as he builds them at night in the shop he works in. Only borrowing a friends computer to monitor orders.

Possibly on the run from the government and Tong gangsters.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Squid

So I took a chance on the 'Winner Racing' radiator, and ordered the item from China. Got it in today, which was much faster than I thought it would be.

Took 10 days total... Helps that I'm in California I guess! I ordered both the right and left, but only put the left one on. The part looks good, everything lined up spot on - no problems with fitment or adjustments needed.

Looked at the right one carefully, and all the mounting points match up with the original one as well. Was really tempted to swap it out, but if it ain't broke... Anyhow, really happy with the part, the quick processing and delivery.

Took it for a quick spin, and everything's fine - no leaks.

Winner Racing Radiator - OEM fit, highly recommended!

BZ

Last edited by bzee; 10-05-2015 at 10:09 PM.