Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Good and bad on EBC HH pads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:44 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Good and bad on EBC HH pads?

The PO of my baike handed me a full set of EBC HH pads and Galfer stainless lines for the bike that he hadn't installed yet. I've read reviews that say they provide much better bite than stockers. Any downsides? More noise? Faster wear on the rotors?
Old 10-24-2008, 01:55 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Pay special attention to seating the new pads. That's the only downside to the install. That and bleeding the fronts. Buy yourself a Mity-Vac. It makes working on both the brakes and the clutch much easier.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:27 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
EBC HH do have a great bite & i like the feel of them UNTIL they get hot, then they fade dramatically. if you run tight canyons or do track days just be aware of it.

for me it was bad enough for me to pull them out & try another pad. finally i had to retro fit f4i calipers so that i could use Vesrah pads. VERY happy with them - next to ZERO fade.

if you just ride around at 'sane' street pace then they're a great pad. some people think the initial bite is too much. you will get a lot of brake dive if you don't have proper fork setup ( springs / sag )

tim
Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
slight hissing noise, dramatically improved braking over stock pads. I have used them on track days and not noted any fade, which is different to Trinc's comments. I had not heard that concern before though, so search and see if common complaint.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:48 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I've had EBC HH's on my VTR for about 6 years. Generally, I'm very happy with them. I can recall only two times that I experienced fade: once at a riding school and once during a fairly desperate stop. I kept squeezing the lever harder but it didn't affect the rate at which the bike was slowing. I upgraded to a CBR600RR m/c and 954 calipers. Problem solved.
The mistake I made when I installed the first set of EBC pads was that I didn't clean the caliper pistons before I pushed them back to make room for the new pads. The result was sticking pistons. I cleaned them up, learned my lesson and all was well.
I've got EBC Kevlar pads for the rear caliper rather than the HH's. Works for me.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry if my earlier comments were misleading. I converted to the EBC HH pads when I installed the Gixxer six-pots. Now, several miles later, I have to be cautious about getting into them too hard. At speed I have nearly locked up the front tire with hard braking. The rotors whir a little when I do this. It's a ride but I can kill 30mph in about a hundred feet. That's important when the man has the radar on you - I can go from 90 to 60 real quick. By the time he hits the button the second time I'm legal. I run the same pads on the VFR. The problem there is the VFR has not had the FE work that the Superhawk has. The calipers are good but the forks suck - not as bad as the Superhawk stockers but still not good. Just my .o2