Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Flush that coolant on these old bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:28 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Flush that coolant on these old bikes

Well I just finished flushing my radiator on my 98 with 32,000 miles. Many of us here have '98s and let me tell you how dirty and brown it was.

Simple checking of the coolant level was something I have never really done before on a motorcycle, I just get on and ride. But to help preserve these old machines would be beneficial to dust off that shop manual and do an easy flush.

Earlier this year I switched to water but never "flushed" the system so I've finally taken the time to get this done while waiting for a new radiator cap, which BTW was not working properly due to the rubber seal being expanded from age allowing coolant to flow freely into the expansion tank. The whole process is REALLY easy and I used Prestone Radiator Flush from Autozone to do it. This is something I will probably start doing annually now, just to make sure everything stays fresh. I refilled it with distilled water and Water Wetter, but I'm not sure what to do about the frigid temps. Maybe start it every couple days and let it warm up? Either way is has fresh juice so she'll be ready for some more flogging!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Squid

armyguy8381 is on a distinguished road
Water Wetter

I have yet to have water wetter freeze up on me. And I ride all year long. I do keep my bike in a garage but none the less I have never had it freeze. Well now I think about it my garage doesn't get below 35 degrees either. But it does get pretty dang close.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
be very careful with just water and WW. I've seen many a bike break in a feb race because the radiator froze. outside cold starting under 35 can be murder. if your not at the race track why not use bike specific antifreeze with WW
Old 10-09-2008, 05:50 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
They say antifreeze loses its corrosion protection after a few years so I like to change it every 2 to 3 years. Its cheap enough and not that hard to do. I use antifreeze, distilled water and water wetter as it can get to 0 degrees or a little below here in NY. Just my .02
Old 10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by armyguy8381
I have yet to have water wetter freeze up on me. And I ride all year long. I do keep my bike in a garage but none the less I have never had it freeze. Well now I think about it my garage doesn't get below 35 degrees either. But it does get pretty dang close.
How do you keep your garage warm? I was thinking about parking them in the basement when it gets REALLY cold.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
I think it's about time to change mine too. I've got about 5 years and 8k on this coolant. Antifreeze turns acidic after about 5-6 years and starts to corrode your radiator.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Squid

dsevans is on a distinguished road
What level does your temperature needle ride at on warm (85 dgree +) and cool (55 degrees or less)? I beleve this only applies to 1998 & 1999 without the digital lcd.
Thank you.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
in 55 degree weather, my needle never makes it past the 1/4 mark. in 80's weather, it hangs right around the half mark or between that and the 3/4 mark. but never actually touches the 3/4 mark. the hot side of half way is about as hot as it ever gets.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If you live somewhere where it gets cold enough to freeze, just ww may crack your block..

In AZ here I am not too worried about it, but if I lived up north I'd run antifreeze.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
in 55 degree weather, my needle never makes it past the 1/4 mark. in 80's weather, it hangs right around the half mark or between that and the 3/4 mark. but never actually touches the 3/4 mark. the hot side of half way is about as hot as it ever gets.
+1.
I was out Sunday when it was in the upper 60's and it hung right around 1/4. 80's to 100 it runs no more than a tad over the half way. Even idling in traffic the fan keeps it that temp.

I don't think WW has any anti-freezing properties. Definately do NOT let it sit below freezing for any length of time. A 25 degree night will most likely crack your block. I would switch to antifreeze or drain it/blow it out.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Nose Picker
Back Marker

996SSVTR is on a distinguished road
I just flushed my coolent and i have noticed a drop in tempature. Thanks for the reminder. Oh also you may want to flush your dot 4 fluids. My clutch fluid was near empty and it was real dirty and thick. And both breaks res were dirty and thick as well
Old 10-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Do you have to take the fairing off to refill the radiator or is there another way to do it? Just feeling lazy.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
So where did you drain the coolant from? I plan on doing this to the 'hawk when I go home next week, any tips are greatly appreciated!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Duck007
Do you have to take the fairing off to refill the radiator or is there another way to do it? Just feeling lazy.
i'd think a well placed and shaped funnel tube would allow you to refill it, but to properly drain the coolant, you should really remove the fairing.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Squid

dsevans is on a distinguished road
coolant temp

My temp needle was under the 1/4 mark on a 55 degree day. I haven't ridden it yet at 80 plus degrees. I just wanted to be sure it was hot enough to burn the water/condensation out of the oil. I

Really I thought the thermostat might be stuck open - i was going to investigate. If my temp sounds normal - great.
Thank you.
Darren
Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
According to the shop manual, you need to remove a drain plug on the front cylinder head. I can see it but not really sure how to get to it. (Full fairing removed). Is that necessary to get a good flush of the radiator? Manuel also says to flush with clean water. Is it necessary to use a commercial flush? Bike is a 99 with 16K on it. I'm doing this because I had to take a hose off to get at another part and think I got an air bubble in the system as it began to overheat on the next outing. The cap looks fine but again, its a 99. Should I replace it while I'm in there? I don't really have any way to test it.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I would recommend pulling the water pump hose too. (or instead of that tiny plug)

No way would I run water wetter anywhere near when it would freeze. Even my racebikes spend the winter with antifreeze to keep everything clean.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:19 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YellowBird
...The cap looks fine but again, its a 99. Should I replace it while I'm in there? I don't really have any way to test it.
I would replace it on principle due to its age. About $6 or $7 at any auto parts store. If you look through the forums many folks have cured an apparent "overheating issue" just by replacing the radiator cap with new. GL, YMMV.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 AM
MotoGP

I agree, replace it. Rarely can you save so much hassle so easily or cheaply than doing this. Its a common cap, lots of cars use it too, avail at auto parts stores. I put a list of crossover models on a thread here somewhere.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road

radiator cap cross reference
An alternate to oem is Stant #10233 available at Advance Auto for 7.49. 1.1 bar=16lb. I found my gasket was split on the original cap while I was changing coolant. I also found my overflow bottle was plugged. I unhooked the overflow hose to drain the bottle and nothing came out. I used my compressor to clear the blockage while flushing the bottle with a hose and let the sediment float out.Just wanted to share this because the overflow function probably rarely gets tested
Old 03-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I'll see if I can find that cap. That's a whole lot cheaper than an OEM cap. Is it ok to flush just using water or is it a must to use a commercial flush?
Old 03-07-2015, 09:03 AM
MotoGP

You can get it pretty clean with a warm water and white vinegar solution too. Just make sure to NEVER use tap water as half you coolant. Only use distilled . Tap with cause scaling and rust due to its minerals.

Fill the system with water and vinegar and run the bike up to warm then let it sit, then drain it.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Back Marker

bigborer is on a distinguished road
How much running does it take to take all the air out of the cooling system?

As per the instructions from the manual- I let the bike idle for about 5 minutes, with the cap off, revving it for a bit at times and constantly topping the coolant up until it didn't drop any longer. I then let the bike sit for about 1h, removed the cap and the level had dropped by 30-40ml.

I don't want to have to remove the fairings again to air bleed or top up the coolant...
Old 06-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bigborer
How much running does it take to take all the air out of the cooling system?

As per the instructions from the manual- I let the bike idle for about 5 minutes, with the cap off, revving it for a bit at times and constantly topping the coolant up until it didn't drop any longer. I then let the bike sit for about 1h, removed the cap and the level had dropped by 30-40ml.

I don't want to have to remove the fairings again to air bleed or top up the coolant...
If you do just a bit of extra work, leaning the bike over, left and right, most of the trapped air burps out... I might see the coolant expansion tank drop 10mm after running it in. And to your question, very little, a run down the road to full operating temp, few turns, bumps, braking, RPMs, and trapped air is up in the header tank., soon as it cools down if the system is working as it should, it will move coolant from expansion tank to the right rad...
If there was a lot of air, it might take a second full cycle.

Of you can fill the system with a vacuum filler and have zero air in the system from the get go.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Back Marker

Thanks! It got me intrigued a bit because this is the first time when the manual calls for open cap bleeding, everything else so far (even for cars) just said "fill to the top, run for a while, then check the level"

So the bike should be ready to ride now...
Old 06-05-2019, 04:04 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Typically, I let the fan come on twice, then let cool fully and top off under rad cap and overflow res.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Typically, I let the fan come on twice, then let cool fully and top off under rad cap and overflow res.
With the cap on?

If I let the bike idle for too long the neighbors will likely call the police...

One more thing- I've reread the manual and they say that the coolant capacity is 2.9l for the rad + engine, and 0.71l for the expansion tank. So this means 3.61l total capacity... Last time I read the manual I only saw the 2.9l part, and bought 3 liters of (premixed) motul motocool expert coolant. This means that there are (or were- maybe some of it got up by now) 0.6-0.7l of air, and the same amount of missing coolant...

ps: (this gets more and more complicated)- I wanted to not cheapen out and buy the best quality coolant I could find. This seemed to be the Motocool expert, which probaly was also the most expensive coolant I've ever bought. However the manual says that silicate may cause wear of the waterpump or radiator blockage. What the hell should I do? Get new coolant?
Old 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
silicate is abrasive, becomes a solid and why is not recommended for aluminum motors or cooling systems. Will it have long term effects in a year? likely not. Id likely run it for the season then change in year.

The cap needs to be on when its running, you can burp some air before running it with the cap off, top off and then run it... but otherwise, just put the cap on and ride it. .

Originally Posted by bigborer
With the cap on?

If I let the bike idle for too long the neighbors will likely call the police...

One more thing- I've reread the manual and they say that the coolant capacity is 2.9l for the rad + engine, and 0.71l for the expansion tank. So this means 3.61l total capacity... Last time I read the manual I only saw the 2.9l part, and bought 3 liters of (premixed) motul motocool expert coolant. This means that there are (or were- maybe some of it got up by now) 0.6-0.7l of air, and the same amount of missing coolant...

ps: (this gets more and more complicated)- I wanted to not cheapen out and buy the best quality coolant I could find. This seemed to be the Motocool expert, which probaly was also the most expensive coolant I've ever bought. However the manual says that silicate may cause wear of the waterpump or radiator blockage. What the hell should I do? Get new coolant?
Old 06-05-2019, 05:18 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Yes! Cap on. I use this:
Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 AM
Back Marker

Ended up draining it, and ordered some silicate free coolant which should arrive today or tomorrow. I suppose water flushing would be unnecessary

Quick Reply: Flush that coolant on these old bikes