Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

exhilaration

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Smoke_KOD
Squid

SgtRon is on a distinguished road
exhilaration

I need more exhilaration to keep up with friends on R1's and the like. What can I do if anything. i can catch up but i am running at 150 mph to do it. I need more power betwen 80 - 120 mph. Is it me or the Hawk? If its me please give me some ideas of what i can do to get more out of her.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:35 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
buy n R1 or Gixxer.
the hawk isn't that kinda bike.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:49 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Hawxter is right. The VTR was never meant to be a homologation race bike. It takes a lot more money to make the hawk anywhere near an R1 or gixxer than it does to buy an R1. Even after tons of money your still never gonna get more than 130hp out her where i beleive an r1 is making about 170? and to get that kinda performance out of the hawk ur talking suspension brakes braced swingarm stiffned frame cams pistons major engine rebuilds light wheels jet kits light flywheel etc. The hawk is a cult bike and loved by many but it's not for everyone. If ur after a full on race bike buy something else. The hawk will never compete with gixxers and the like
Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Smoke_KOD
Squid

lol.. thats what I thought... ok, I need more experience anyway before I step up to that if at all. lol maybe losing 50 lbs may up. 150 mph is way to fast for public roads and i feel like an *** doing it. I dont even do that in my camaro!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:13 PM
SuperSport

Well the things is the rider is a much more important part of the equation than the bike. Fast rider on a slow bike will beat a slow rider on a fast bike. Maybe not always on the straights but where's the fun in the straights. Anyone can just twist the throttle wide open. It takes skill to go fast in the curves.The hawk has so much low and mid range that I smoke I4's in the twisties. Even at the track. Most guys with R1s will never be able to utilize all the performance those bikes have to offer. They just go with the "bigger is better" and "more HP is more manly" outlook. Especially if your a newer rider than the hawk is a very forgiving bike that is easy to handle with loads of power. More than I can fully exploit. Don't rush into something with more power because it's what your friends have. The hawk will make u a much better rider. And is loads more satisfying.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Squid

bammerburn is on a distinguished road
Don't group the Hawk with 600 and 1000 SS bikes. I have a Ninja 636 that outputs similar horsepower to my old Hawk and is of similar weight, but those two are COMPLETELY different bikes. Just get a 1000 I-4 SS and be done with it.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
+1 on what jscobey said.

Well put, sir.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 PM
SuperSport

maybe my love for the VTR stems from wanting to be different, not to be like every other guy that has an R6. i live 5 minutes from the rock store on mullholand which is pretty famous and packed with bikes on sundays. you know what bikes i see the most of? R1's and R6's. you know which bike's i see crash the most? R1's and R6's. maybe because there is just so damn many of them, but i seem to think its because there bikes of choice for squids. they are the "cool" bikes. guys buying these 130-180hp bikes that ride in jeans and skate shoes...

its not like i dont like the bikes, but everyone and their brother has CBR's gixxers R1/6's ninjas... ya know how many hawks ive ever seen in person? 2 not counting mine. i love what the hawk has to offer as a baseline. ive spent way to much money making it closer to the supersport side of the spectrum rather than the sport touring side. i could have bought another bike with the money ive spent on mods alone. am i crazy? deffinatley. but i love the way a twin rides. the linear power that it makes. the meanest exhaust sound. this bike was made with a focus on handling and weight savings. the power is pretty good for 1997. the super sports of the late 90's werent making that much more hp than the hawk. in fact im amazed they tuned the engine as well as they did since it wasnt a super sport.

the mods we all do to the hawk can be put into 3 catagories. Weight reduction, power increase, and better handling. each mod has made my bike a little faster, a little lighter, or a little more nimble and they start to add up to big results. its a very rewarding bike and i never get tired of passing up gixxers or ninjas at the track or the twisties. my friends i ride with always say "its time for an upgrade" or "lets get you on a newer bike" then we go out for that track session and i leave them in the dust.... its become apparent to me the newer, bigger, faster isnt always better.

like i said its the rider that makes the bike, not the other way around. if the hawk isnt your cup of tea thats okay but dont go for something else because your friends have it. i didnt think the hawk was my cup of tea at first but since done a complete 180 and i would pick my bike over a CBR or R1 any day of the week.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:58 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
An easy performance mod that helps is a lightened flywheel.

There are heaps of posts about it on here.

As others have said, the Hawk is not about outright power, but you can get more for not a lot of money.

Brakes and suspension are where it's at with these bikes because in the rel world the power is more than ample.

It also helps to get to know your bike and it's limitations.

Do an advanced rider course and some track days. This will help you to get the best out of your bike.

The best thing about these bikes is that they are not a morrow focused machine like so many of the race replicas.

I have tracked, toured and tootled around on my bike and after 42 bikes I can honestly say that this thing is the most versatile bike I have owned.

It just does everything good and has never left me wanting.

With minor mods they become a great machine that is easy to look after, but be careful they can become a money pit.

Search the forum and take on board what others have done and apply the mods of interest to your bike and feel the difference!

Then ride with your friends and enjoy their disbelief that an old spec bike can still cut it with the latest and greatest for a fraction of the cost.

I have had my bike for two years and still have more to do.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:27 AM
SuperSport

+1 on what kenmoore said. if your looking for that extra bit, then id say upgrade your brakes and suspension first and foremost with things like F4I calipers and a respring and revalve + a fork brace. of course im a huge advocate of the USD fork swaps but thats a little more pricey. good brakes and suspension beats outright horsepower every time!

then a lightned flywheel is another great, easy mod to get a little more oomph. really you dont get more ooomph, you just get the oomph faster. one of the best mods ive done. really ups the acceleration and gets you to peak horsepower and torque faster.

i will say tho that the hawk is already good stock. id just get some experience on it for a while and when you start pushing the limits of the bike like getting fork flex for example, then you can either upgrade the hawk or upgrade to a new bike.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:35 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
jscobey and kenmoore said it all.
In any case, it comes down to what attracts you to motorcycling. Anyone on a bike with enough motor can ride at triple digit speeds on interstates and it might be fun to laugh about it with your friends. Riding like that tends to be self-limiting.
What you might want to do is to go to a site like www.motorcycleroads.com, find a nice curvy route and ride it alone or with your friends. Your Hawk will be in its element and you won't be troubled by a horsepower deficit.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Smoke_KOD
Squid

I am glad I made this post. What I got out of is simply. I Need More expweience. I love the Hawk. It does what I need it to do. I just need more time to become a faster rider. Really I haven't been riding a entire year yet so I am satisfied with my progress!

Thanks for the responses!

Originally Posted by comedo
jscobey and kenmoore said it all.
In any case, it comes down to what attracts you to motorcycling. Anyone on a bike with enough motor can ride at triple digit speeds on interstates and it might be fun to laugh about it with your friends. Riding like that tends to be self-limiting.
What you might want to do is to go to a site like www.motorcycleroads.com, find a nice curvy route and ride it alone or with your friends. Your Hawk will be in its element and you won't be troubled by a horsepower deficit.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
If you've made it this far, here are some other pointers I've learned from mentors:

All other motorcyclists KNOW that you can go fast... you can go faster than all of the cars and you don't need to prove it. So there's no need to run stoplight to stoplight to make a point. In the end, what does it matter? When has anything like this really mattered? Who's given an acceptance speech and said, "I accidentally bought a super fast sport bike when I was 22 and was exhilarated and that was the turning point in my life."

Ok, maybe that wasn't a mentor... that was probably just the single malt kicking in. Good luck, and just smirk inside when your friends rave about their pulling speed from 140 to 180 on their ego-stroking bro machines and know you have a very special bike with a ****-ton of cult following and personality. Also, +1 to what everyone else said. And world peace.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
All other motorcyclists KNOW that you can go fast... you can go faster than all of the cars
Not ALL cars

Hell, Ford's Coyote motor is making 1000hp (turbo'd) on stock internals for ~$8,500....so I hear.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:41 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
If you've made it this far, here are some other pointers I've learned from mentors:

All other motorcyclists KNOW that you can go fast... you can go faster than all of the cars and you don't need to prove it. So there's no need to run stoplight to stoplight to make a point. In the end, what does it matter? When has anything like this really mattered? Who's given an acceptance speech and said, "I accidentally bought a super fast sport bike when I was 22 and was exhilarated and that was the turning point in my life."

Ok, maybe that wasn't a mentor... that was probably just the single malt kicking in. Good luck, and just smirk inside when your friends rave about their pulling speed from 140 to 180 on their ego-stroking bro machines and know you have a very special bike with a ****-ton of cult following and personality. Also, +1 to what everyone else said. And world peace.
thats deep man want a tissue.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:15 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road

Standing O!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Squid

CrickiKaze is on a distinguished road
Could change the gearing....no one mentioned that...just say'n.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Squid

Seoulbrutha996 is on a distinguished road
100% Correct jscoby! Those other liter bikes are unforgiving, unlike the Hawk! Who wants a bike every other Joe has anyway!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Squid

Seoulbrutha996 is on a distinguished road
Nail on the HEAD!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:51 PM
SuperSport

i think its important to note here that the hawk isnt just a cruiser that looks like a sport bike. i ride my hawk hard. track days and in the canyons. was it meant to be a race bike? no. do it ride it like it is one? yes. shoot the VTR raced in British Superbike! albeit a highly modified VTR... i think the hawk has the "sport tourer" classification (IMO its more along the lines of a CBR600F which is like a relaxed sport bike, much more than a VFR which is a complete touring bike) because from the factory, it lacked the race track refinement that bikes like CBR's are built for. but i think the mods me and alot of guys have done level the playing field and IMO my current hawk setup is very competitive with most stock 600's, especially once i get my HC pistons in along with some yet to find cams.

Average I-4 1000 w/ 200lb rider has a power to weight ratio of .21 HP per pound
Average I-4 600 w/200lb rider has a power to weight ratio of .18 HP per pound
my VTR with me, 150lb, power to weight ratio of around .176
hoping to achieve around .185 to .190 hp per lb with HC pistons and cams which would land me around 120hp
all stats referring to rear wheel HP, not at the crank.

and just for kicks, a MotoGP bike with a 170lb rider has a HP to weight ratio of .48

at the track i ride VERY competitively with more modern "race" bikes. any passes happening between us end up being over rider skill, except on the straights. but even then if i can carry more corner speed through the last corner before opening up on the main straight, i can stay right there with him. then i over take by braking later before turn 1.

like i said previously, it boils down to rider ability's. but i have much more fun on the VTR. more smiles per mile. at the track im not looking to break any records or win any trophies. im just out there to have a good time. and thats what i get with the hawk. i have a blast on it and that makes up for not having 170hp. its managable power that delivers like no other. and being only 150lbs, my HP to weight ratio puts me pretty much dead on with 200lb riders on most 600's.

Last edited by jscobey; 04-16-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:20 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Sounds like your next mod should be loosing some weight, fatty.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:54 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Sounds like your next mod should be loosing some weight, fatty.
Most inexspensive Mod ever !!!
I know ive lost 42 kg (in 3 years)